Playing Copy Control CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

Mar 2, 2003
TBC
Arrrrrghhhhh! I just bought a CD without realising it's a Copy Control CD! Now when I play it on my PC or notebook, the damn playback software sucks up to 80% of my processing time! Is there any other software that can play back the CD without eating so much cpu cycles??? :cry:

Newman said:
Arrrrrghhhhh! I just bought a CD without realising it's a Copy Control CD! Now when I play it on my PC or notebook, the damn playback software sucks up to 80% of my processing time! Is there any other software that can play back the CD without eating so much cpu cycles??? :cry:

Not only it sucks up CPU cycles, the sound quality also sucks! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Newman said:

get i tunes from mac, download the CD, play

Belle&Sebastain said:
get i tunes from mac, download the CD, play

ya itunes can rip from copy control cd :D

Get any CD ripper like Easy CD-DA, it will rip copy protected CD's.

Most of these cd's auto install some software when you insert it in your PC. Many of them install device drivers and sound drivers in your windows directories and make changes to your system config. This is why I have autorun disabled.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I got hold of WinDAC and ripped all the songs out just fine. Probably will burn them to a CD for normal listening. Hmmm, will have to look carefully before my next CD purchase. :(

so far havent encountered any protected cd that couldnt be ripped with itunes :)

Tried iTunes to play the CD but it seems that there is popping sound in the playback. :cry:

sriram said:
Get any CD ripper like Easy CD-DA, it will rip copy protected CD's.

Most of these cd's auto install some software when you insert it in your PC. Many of them install device drivers and sound drivers in your windows directories and make changes to your system config. This is why I have autorun disabled.

oh man, but can this CD be played on normal CD-player?disc-man?

ninelives said:
oh man, but can this CD be played on normal CD-player?disc-man?
This was one huge bone of contention between consumers and record companies. Many copy protected CD's could not be played on discman / car stereo players and the like since technically they do not conform to Philips' "compact disc" standard and hence are not allowed to have the "CD" logo on the cover. [Btw philips was one of the companies who designed the CD standard]. This has caused numerous lawsuits and in France, some companies have even stopped producing copy protected CD's.

A few years back I had bought an EMI copy protected CD and it wouldn't play on my discman (but played on my old stereo system), but HMV would not refund the money since it would play on their system. It was a cheap one and I didn't bother taking up the case with the authorities.

Of course, if you rip it and burn a new CD, then it should play on any player.

sriram said:
Many copy protected CD's could not be played on discman / car stereo players and the like

thanks for the info man, i got to take note if i am purchasing my next CD.

It plays fine without pops on my CD player. Think I have to use my discman and record through my soundcard via optical cable. So troublesome! I wonder what would happen if in future the playback software is not able to run on new OSes? And has anyone tried to playback Copy Control CD on Linux? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.