Played with the AFS VR 200mm f/2G lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

SzennyBoy

Mar 3, 2002
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
I just came back from the Heather Angel Wildlife and Nature Workshop here in the UK that was organised by Grays of Westminster and the Nikon Owners Club International. While I was there, I got the chance to play with some very nice toys including the prototype version of the new AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED. Standing tall in the background is the new AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED!

200f2AFSVRlens_small.jpg

The 200mm f/2G is one very mean looking lens and two things are very apparent. It is large and heavy. Even with the VR capability, this lens is defintely not something you want to be hand-holding for more than 30 seconds... a minute at the most! Below was one of my trial shots with this lens, shot hand-held on my D1H with the VR turned on (ISO 200, f/5.6 & 1/160th sec). Impressive but like I said... large & heavy!

200f2AFSVRtest_small.jpg

I would imagine the price is at least 4 to 5 times the AFS-70-200 mm VR zoom lens.

Was told expected price is around GBP 3995.00 and first expected delivery would be in September this year.

OT note: When queried about any new digital bodies (i.e. D2x) on the horizon, I was told to "watch this space" The normally talkative Nikon reps were exceptionally silent about it when I tried to make reference to the up-coming Photokina in Colegne this September... but basically you can read between the lines!

SzennyBoy said:
OT note: When queried about any new digital bodies (i.e. D2x) on the horizon, I was told to "watch this space" The normally talkative Nikon reps were exceptionally silent about it when I tried to make reference to the up-coming Photokina in Colegne this September... but basically you can read between the lines!

So is that good or bad news? :D
Really need some new models, pro or no pro. I mean, in the good name of progress lar. :)

SzennyBoy said:
Was told expected price is around GBP 3995.00 and first expected delivery would be in September this year.

WoW ..... GBP3995 .. :bigeyes:

tried it over at the sydney circuit last week,maxell had it out for trial run for the pre-warmup tracks. The auto-focus design is supreme,much better than the heavy-arse canon 200/1.8L I once had,mate it wif the d2h on v2 firmware is like putting af on steriod. The max rep poped it at about A$11000+ list,much higher than wat I unearthed in singapore. decisions decisions!

omg... look at those lens.. they are sooooo....

u are making me drool la.. erm.. can u gimme one of those as my 2 yrs of xmas gift + new yr ang pao in advance ? hhehehe... =X

omg.................. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.