Platinum King Filters

flightspeed

Feb 26, 2006
wanted to get a UV filter for my lens (72mm) and was intro a brand called Platinum King .. however the prices where abit too high for something i as a newbie have not heard of ( S$90+)

i got a Hoya instead at $40

searched here but seems no threads or posts about it .. anyone use this brand ?

wanted to get a UV filter for my lens (72mm) and was intro a brand called Platinum King .. however the prices where abit too high for something i as a newbie have not heard of ( S$90+)

i got a Hoya instead at $40

searched here but seems no threads or posts about it .. anyone use this brand ?

Never heard of it. Hoya is usually a much safer bet than what these sales people try to sell to you in those shops anyways.

Never heard of it. Hoya is usually a much safer bet than what these sales people try to sell to you in those shops anyways.

thanks aspenx .. one issue with the Hoya i bought tho .. i was fiddling with the camera in an air conditioned environment with filter on, when i brot it out of the room , the filter turned all misty on me ... i spoke to the guy selling the Platinum King filter and he said this will not happen on his filters ... it repels such things ... :dunno:

any fact in that ?

thanks aspenx .. one issue with the Hoya i bought tho .. i was fiddling with the camera in an air conditioned environment with filter on, when i brot it out of the room , the filter turned all misty on me ... i spoke to the guy selling the Platinum King filter and he said this will not happen on his filters ... it repels such things ... :dunno:

any fact in that ?

Condensation happens to all filters or lenses that have direct contact with the external environment. It is quite amazing if the Platinum King filter will not have condensation. Can ask the guy to demonstrate?

There's a reason why you probably never heard of it, and the reason is probably not an assuring one.

In general, stick with the well-established and reputable brands and models. Even if you kenar kope on the retail price, the quality is there, unlike simik gold lah, platinum lah, titagaazaarubikon filter at ridiculous prices:

Very Common and easily available
HOYA - HMC, SHMC, PRO1 Digital and HD
B+W - whole range is good

Well Know but maybe not so popular here
Heliopan
Tiffen

Very, very High End but probably not available here
Rodenstock

Personally tried and found to be very high quality
Tokina ATX
Canon Protect (this one features the Canon Super Spectra Coating)
Nikon Protect, L37c and L1bc

Oh, condensation will form on most lens surfaces. Even if the Flatulence King filter is more resistant to flare, it doesn't mean a thing. Anyone could have just wiped it with an anti-fogging lens cleaner or spit (serious) prior to showing customers the filter and that will have an anti-fogging effect.

Last edited:
There's a reason why you probably never heard of it, and the reason is probably not an assuring one.

In general, stick with the well-established and reputable brands and models. Even if you kenar kope on the retail price, the quality is there, unlike simik gold lah, platinum lah, titagaazaarubikon filter at ridiculous prices:

Very Common and easily available
HOYA - HMC, SHMC, PRO1 Digital and HD
B+W - whole range is good

Well Know but maybe not so popular here
Heliopan
Tiffen

Very, very High End but probably not available here
Rodenstock

Personally tried and found to be very high quality
Tokina ATX
Canon Protect (this one features the Canon Super Spectra Coating)
Nikon Protect, L37c and L1bc

Oh, condensation will form on most lens surfaces. Even if the Flatulence King filter is more resistant to flare, it doesn't mean a thing. Anyone could have just wiped it with an anti-fogging lens cleaner or spit (serious) prior to showing customers the filter and that will have an anti-fogging effect.

Actually I have been reading that Heliopan and Rodenstock are the same exact products under different branding. Much like Kenko and Hoya.

any fact in that ?

You can just buy the LensPen FogKlear FK-1 Anti Fog Cleaning Cloth, wipe your filter with it, and it will fog up less. But if moving from extreme cold like -25degC, to a heated warm room, no matter what anti-fog coating, or filter you use, condensation WILL happen.

haha. go guardian or any pharmacy, get some instant heat packs..those that rub a few time and it will generate warmth for 1-2hrs. just toss one of it into your bag where u keep your camera in those cold situations, ur lens should be able to escape the condensations..;)

Actually I have been reading that Heliopan and Rodenstock are the same exact products under different branding. Much like Kenko and Hoya.

I wouldn't be surprised, but do you have a link by any chance?

Thanks DD.

Going by threads reaching back several years, it appears that Heliopan was the manufacturer for several of the top German names at least where filters was concerned.

To quote Bob Solomon, "But Heliopan is the manufacturer of Rodenstock, Linhof, Minox, Rollei and other photo manufacturer's filters." Those are/were some of the most powerful and prestigious names in German optics and cameras, so I would assume Rodenstock filters are in good company.

There might have been changes to the current Rodenstock line though, at least multi-coating wise.

Anyway, that should not detract from the quality of a product. Farming out was already a common practice decades ago, even though manufacturers normally won't like consumers to know. Cosina makes ZEISS lenses, Tokina made certain Nikon and Zuiko lenses (and I suspect, their multi-coated filters going by a ATX UV filter I once had and my Nikon L37c), and even Sigma once made certain Leica lenses.

Thanks DD.

Going by threads reaching back several years, it appears that Heliopan was the manufacturer for several of the top German names at least where filters was concerned.

To quote Bob Solomon, "But Heliopan is the manufacturer of Rodenstock, Linhof, Minox, Rollei and other photo manufacturer's filters." Those are/were some of the most powerful and prestigious names in German optics and cameras, so I would assume Rodenstock filters are in good company.

There might have been changes to the current Rodenstock line though, at least multi-coating wise.

Anyway, that should not detract from the quality of a product. Farming out was already a common practice decades ago, even though manufacturers normally won't like consumers to know. Cosina makes ZEISS lenses, Tokina made certain Nikon and Zuiko lenses (and I suspect, their multi-coated filters going by a ATX UV filter I once had and my Nikon L37c), and even Sigma once made certain Leica lenses.

And to add on,

And Tamron manufactures some of the alpha lenses. Sony manufactures the sensor for Nikon Pentax and its own Alpha. Hoya supplies glass to Kenko, Tokina and Tamron.

Yes, the industry is like that. A lot of contract manufacturing going around. This has been very prevalent in many industries, especially electronics.

So when I hear people saying 3rd party is sub par in quality, sometimes I find it funny because these 3rd party companies are actually the manufacturers for some 1st party products... ;)

Good for you not to trust that salesman and stick to a filter that you have researched on. Sometimes these salesmen just want to test market to see if you are gullible. I myself have not heard of such a brand. Even google points me back to this post.

never heard of platinum king before.

I should start selling filters too. Call it Gold Fingar filters. *hums james bond tune*.

Have to pack and go china and find some shady factory to make it for me... :devil: