Plastic hole, metal screw, thread stripped: How to remedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drill out and retap at a larger thread size.

On top of that, can insert a coil like thing to get back to the same tread size. I had forgoten what is that thing called. Looks like a spring coil made of Stainless steeel.

Normally this happens when you overtighten so next time when you tighten a metal screw on plastic, please do not use too much force.

On top of that, can insert a coil like thing to get back to the same tread size. I had forgoten what is that thing called. Looks like a spring coil made of Stainless steeel.

Thread inserts?

Normally this happens when you overtighten so next time when you tighten a metal screw on plastic, please do not use too much force.

screw thread inserts?

tis is plastic leh...

i think best way is to just do rethreading... wonder y never break...

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

So far I've heard about filling the hole up with epoxy, re-drilling and re-tapping, but am not sure if I can pull it off. :p

It's for my 1/10th scale r/c model. The screwholes are quite small, as are the screws used (3x12mm). High-impact crashes places a lot of strain on the plastic chassis so the screw threads also tend to break easily.

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

So far I've heard about filling the hole up with epoxy, re-drilling and re-tapping, but am not sure if I can pull it off. :p

It's for my 1/10th scale r/c model. The screwholes are quite small, as are the screws used (3x12mm). High-impact crashes places a lot of strain on the plastic chassis so the screw threads also tend to break easily.

superglue. :thumbsup:

yes, superglue.

place a drop in the hole then put in the screw. the glue should fill the gap between the metal screw threads and the plastic. once it hardens, it should hold quite well.

Oh can I add a question of something quite similar here? hehehe

I have this external harddisk casing with an internal 80GB harddisk in it.

One of the screw of the external casing has been stripped of it's + sign. Now it's smooth round. Any idea how can i take out the screw? I've brought it to hardware shops but they said to drill another hold into the screw, but it's a dedicate harddisk in it! Any other way to go around doing it? Any advices appreciated. :)

Oh can I add a question of something quite similar here? hehehe

I have this external harddisk casing with an internal 80GB harddisk in it.

One of the screw of the external casing has been stripped of it's + sign. Now it's smooth round. Any idea how can i take out the screw? I've brought it to hardware shops but they said to drill another hold into the screw, but it's a dedicate harddisk in it! Any other way to go around doing it? Any advices appreciated. :)

use a dremel or rtx cutting disc, at high rpm, cut in a minus groove

abt 20k rpm there abt should be just a single "touch" job without causing unwanted vibrations.

HeliCoil:
img_heli_main.jpg

use a dremel or rtx cutting disc, at high rpm, cut in a minus groove

abt 20k rpm there abt should be just a single "touch" job without causing unwanted vibrations.

Oh where can I find anyone doing such a precision job? Wish to know... or else my external harddisk case is forever bonded to this 80GB hard drive..

Oh where can I find anyone doing such a precision job? Wish to know... or else my external harddisk case is forever bonded to this 80GB hard drive..
any hobbyists who modify computer casings and do metal work will be able to help you.

the spinning disc is probably 1.5cm to 2cm in diameter only

but firstly you might have to check if the screws are flushed with the surface, or recessed into the surface, if its recessed, it may not be easy to cut a slot without marring the casing.

the other non cutting way, is to use those high bond epoxys, dab a little epoxy on the screw, shape a minus groove and let it harden/set. when its set, it binds to metal very well and may allow you to unscrew the screw. probably can ask if any bros here have spare epoxy that you can use cuz all you need is a tiny little bit

These thread repair inserts are for metal threads and need a certain depth. Need to use a tap to thread the damaged part before you can use the 'thread coil'

yes, superglue.

place a drop in the hole then put in the screw. the glue should fill the gap between the metal screw threads and the plastic. once it hardens, it should hold quite well.

Super glue does not adhere to ABS material. Use a self tapping screw with a larger diameter and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.