Plasma, LCD HD or Full HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yqt

Sep 8, 2004
East of Singapore
Was toying around with the idea to get a new TV but I know nuts about the difference of Plasma, LCD, HD and full HD.
Can anyone help?
TIA
Cheers

Err... Google? Really, this is explained in detail on many sites.

Err... Google? Really, this is explained in detail on many sites.

Thanks for your reply.
If it's not too much trouble, could someone point me to the sites? I'm not too good with the technical terms ie: no of lines, etc. and the sales people at the shops are not much help either, one tell me sonething than soneone else tell me another. Rather blur now.
I'm also hoping to get some personal experience from CSers as well.
Thanks.

Ok, layman's understanding.
Plasma colour is richer, but the problem is the screen is very reflective, u can see all the room lights reflector off the screen when watching.
LCD colour not as rich as plasma, and the black is not black enough, (LCD use backlight), but no reflection, so more easy for the eyes when watching.
Full HD means the screen can display 1028 horizontal lines, the non-HD can only display 768 lines, (normal CRT TV can display 480 lines), 1028 lines is abt the same resolution as a computer LCD monitor. Of course more lines means clearer pictures, but that also depends on yr source of video.

Plasma colour is richer, but the problem is the screen is very reflective, u can see all the room lights reflector off the screen when watching.
LCD colour not as rich as plasma, and the black is not black enough, (LCD use backlight), but no reflection, so more easy for the eyes when watching.
Full HD means the screen can display 1028 horizontal lines, the non-HD can only display 768 lines, (normal CRT TV can display 480 lines), 1028 lines is abt the same resolution as a computer LCD monitor. Of course more lines means clearer pictures, but that also depends on yr source of video.

Hehe.......so which is better? Plasma or LCD HD?

Hehe.......so which is better? Plasma or LCD HD?
If money no issues, then should buy the full-HD LCD (1028 lines), 40 inches and above (best is 50+ inches), currently the best ones are from Sony (newer models), Samsung and Sharp. Plasma TV is a dying technology and I think will slowly phase out from the market soon.

If money no issues, then should buy the full-HD LCD (1028 lines), 40 inches and above (best is 50+ inches), currently the best ones are from Sony (newer models), Samsung and Sharp. Plasma TV is a dying technology and I think will slowly phase out from the market soon.

Thanks Astin.
So Plasma is sort of Old School and maybe on the way out, right?
I guess a LCD would be the "right" choice now.
You mention my source of video, the TV will be more for TV viewing than video ( no time to watch DVDs ) so if the difference between HD and Full HD is the lines, than in my case, just a HD will be good enough, right?
Thanks again.

Thanks Astin.
So Plasma is sort of Old School and maybe on the way out, right?
I guess a LCD would be the "right" choice now.
You mention my source of video, the TV will be more for TV viewing than video ( no time to watch DVDs ) so if the difference between HD and Full HD is the lines, than in my case, just a HD will be good enough, right?
Thanks again.
Yup plasma is "on the way out" technology.
The current Mediacorp tv broadcast is still non-HD, (I dun subscribe to Starhub now but I heard Starhub is now in HD broadcast already), I think Mediacorp will launch more HD programs in future, so a full HD LCD will enable u to watch Mediacorp and Starhub in HD in future.
Actually when u walk into showrooms in Courts or Harvey Normal now, u will see they line up many LCD TV side by side for comparison, and most will also list down the "number of lines" next to the LCD. Just remember to check its 1028 lines or 768 lines.
In analogy, Full HD LCD TV is like Full Frame DSLR, u know it will come and u want it, but it is still too expensive to buy for now.

full HD is 1080 lines.

And plasma is probably the "higher end" technology currently. A good 1080p plasma is more expensive than a similar 1080p LCD.

The adv of plasma is mainly due to the richer blacks which I think is very impt. But LCDs are catching up and more cost effective. I think you can get a full HD LCD under $2k.

If you buy a full HD TV, get yourself a 40GB PS3 locally and some bluray discs from Amazon.

reccommend u FULL HD LCD TV

many ppl will say, why so expensive? why need this? watch the thing all also same...

ITS NOT THE SAME.

Get your hands on some 1080p media and THEN youll appreciate it

HD program display on non HD-TV how ?

I prefer Plasma rather than LCD. The colors are richer and you won't have dead pixels. I like how plasma renders chrome at the display showrooms. LCD colors look pretty oversaturated and lacking depth to me. But well one man's poison is another's meat. It's up to you on how picky u are with your visuals.

42 Inch Plasma screens today are much cheaper than LCDs. Two of the Most Value for Money non Full HD Plasma screen are the 42 inch Hitachi P42A01A and the Panasonic 42PV70. Both of them costing less than 2K today and you get additional freebies with the purchase(E.g. $200 NTUC/Shell fuel voucher + others).

Plasma have Full HD resolutions too but they are a little pricier. If you prefer the Full HD Plasma, you can consider the outstanding Panasonic TH42PY700H which is retailing for $3000+. At the same price level, you can also get the 50 inch non Full HD Panasonic TH-50PV70H. The LCD panels can't beat this price point yet at such a large screen size.

42 Inch Plasma screens today are much cheaper than LCDs. Two of the Most Value for Money non Full HD Plasma screen are the 42 inch Hitachi P42A01A and the Panasonic 42PV70. Both of them costing less than 2K today and you get additional freebies with the purchase(E.g. $200 NTUC/Shell fuel voucher + others).

you can get a philips FULLHD 40" LCD at similar prices. I think LCD is still cheaper than plasma lah. but I feel plasma is worth the extra money. I am just waiting for my 42" 480p plasma to die, then I upgrade to a 1080p plasma, something like the pioneer's Kuro. :)

On both technology (Plasma and LCD) they have their pros and cons especially on standard broadcast signal. If you constantly have HD material than both are OK.

I have both old plasma (Pioneer 43" HD ready 1080i) and recently got a new LCD (Sony 46" Bravia X series Full HD i.e 1080p).
All along I have no problems with Plasma and had serve me well for many years.
For standard broadcast my out of box for the LCD is terrible but after tuning it for a day the PQ is now better than my plasma, clearer, sharper with better details and clarity.
Even with action broadcast the PQ is good. If you buy a Sony the delivery guys can help you to tune and plug in all your component, they are technically proficient.
On HD quality the LCD actually have better clarity, colour and contrast than my plasma but again maybe my plasma is a older version so I can't tell if the newer ones are better.
Overall I think LCD had caught up with plasma and is the way to go in the future however plasma is still a formidable competitor.
Actually can't go very wrong with both if you are just watching normal TV but to avoid disapointment you can get plasma especially for normal broadcast, with LCD you will have to fine tuned it but can be better after tuning.
The only plasma with full HD worth considering is the Pioneer EX5000 but this is a very expensive panel.
If you are going to add a HD playback machine I strongly suggest a Sony PS3, you can get any one and upgrade the harddisk. Machine allow you to do wonders even if you are not into game, just get one of those remotes for blu-ray and you are ready to go.
It performs exectly like a blu-ray machine with additional functions like allowing you to store pictures, movie on the harddisk for playback in high def. I upgraded mine to 250Gb and use the original 80Gb as an external HD for transfer and backup.

you can get a philips FULLHD 40" LCD at similar prices. I think LCD is still cheaper than plasma lah. but I feel plasma is worth the extra money. I am just waiting for my 42" 480p plasma to die, then I upgrade to a 1080p plasma, something like the pioneer's Kuro. :)

If you are going for Kuro's range, get the LX series 50" or 60", the 42" are not full HD. They are 1024x768 panel.

Thanks guys, the info was really helpful.
So I guess a plasma is still worth considering since I'll be watching mostly normal TV channels and some DVDs, when I can find the time. The thing is that some of the shows on TV also require a reasonable good set to enjoy the show. Take for example this coming Sunday's Blockblaster Movie, AVP. I "saw" or rather "heard" the trailer on my present 42" projection TV ( not a wall projector but one of thoes back projection TV bought 7-8 years back ). As most part of the show is in low light, it appear almost like black on my TV screen ;p good sound but no image. Even my kids ask me, " papa, what's going on? How come cannot see anything? " It would be a real bummer if, after buying a new TV and I'm ask the same question again.

Some other questions which I hope you guys can help me in my consideration are,

1) My TV is place in the ctr of a 12 ft wall 90 degrees from the wildow. This window in my hall is a full length, full wall window, it covers from top to bottom and left to right about 10 ft X 15 ft. There are some glare on my TV now and the only way to enjoy a good show is to pull the shades all the way but MIL and my CFO is not too trill wilth it. ( just to give you a guild on the brightness there, I can shoot there at ISO 200, speed 1/125 at f.5.6 ). Since the TV have to be there, what type/brand/model would be more advisable to help cut down the glare since I can't totally cut it off.

2) Hoping to get a new one at least 40 inch ( a 50" will be :lovegrin: but don't think my CFO will approve the budget for it )

3) budget about $3K ( not sure if this is good enough to get a reasonablely good 40", so will relook at this again and maybe do some adjustment )

4) I understand that for computer LCD monitors, there are some technical issues when the screens go bigger, ie: same brand same model but 20" is better than 24" due to some technical issues for the image consistance throughout the whole screen. Anything like this on LCD or plasma screens? ie: 40" better than 42"/50" ?

5) Is the screen viewable from a large angle like a CRT? I don't think can get the same 180 degree of a CRT but how large is the usual angle for the different types of TVs ?

I guess some of these questions are really noob for you guys but I'm really a newbie noob when it comes to this.

Thanks again, guys.

Thanks guys, the info was really helpful.
So I guess a plasma is still worth considering since I'll be watching mostly normal TV channels and some DVDs, when I can find the time. The thing is that some of the shows on TV also require a reasonable good set to enjoy the show. Take for example this coming Sunday's Blockblaster Movie, AVP. I "saw" or rather "heard" the trailer on my present 42" projection TV ( not a wall projector but one of thoes back projection TV bought 7-8 years back ). As most part of the show is in low light, it appear almost like black on my TV screen ;p good sound but no image. Even my kids ask me, " papa, what's going on? How come cannot see anything? " It would be a real bummer if, after buying a new TV and I'm ask the same question again.

Some other questions which I hope you guys can help me in my consideration are,

1) My TV is place in the ctr of a 12 ft wall 90 degrees from the wildow. This window in my hall is a full length, full wall window, it covers from top to bottom and left to right about 10 ft X 15 ft. There are some glare on my TV now and the only way to enjoy a good show is to pull the shades all the way but MIL and my CFO is not too trill wilth it. ( just to give you a guild on the brightness there, I can shoot there at ISO 200, speed 1/125 at f.5.6 ). Since the TV have to be there, what type/brand/model would be more advisable to help cut down the glare since I can't totally cut it off.

2) Hoping to get a new one at least 40 inch ( a 50" will be :lovegrin: but don't think my CFO will approve the budget for it )

3) budget about $3K ( not sure if this is good enough to get a reasonablely good 40", so will relook at this again and maybe do some adjustment )

4) I understand that for computer LCD monitors, there are some technical issues when the screens go bigger, ie: same brand same model but 20" is better than 24" due to some technical issues for the image consistance throughout the whole screen. Anything like this on LCD or plasma screens? ie: 40" better than 42"/50" ?

5) Is the screen viewable from a large angle like a CRT? I don't think can get the same 180 degree of a CRT but how large is the usual angle for the different types of TVs ?

I guess some of these questions are really noob for you guys but I'm really a newbie noob when it comes to this.

Thanks again, guys.

Try to ans your qns as you have similar setup conditions, wall with full panel windows at the side.

You may have to continue to pull the shades again to optimised the quality.
On both my plasma and LCD it is not a problem but with the LCD seems to cut glare a little better.

Size depends on your viewing distance but generally as a guide around 3 times then screen size. i.e. 50" means viewing distance around 150" (12.5 ft). You may want to budget a little more and go for the very best especially if you are looking at LCD panels.

New LCD screens should not have a problem with size and definitely not with plasma.

Yes most screen (Plasma and LCD) will have a viewing angle of around 178 degrees (magic figures) however a plasma will give a better image quality when view at extreme angle.
LCD screen will have a lower contrast when view at extreme angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.