PLanning to upgrade


Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdRobin

Member
Apr 22, 2005
360
0
16
34
Toa Payoh
Hello guys, I am quite new to club snap, and love photography. (obviously. T.T) I currently own a lowly canon A60, served me well for the past 2 years. Now planning to upgrade to a D50 or D70/s. Got myself pretty trained up for owning a DSLR. I have no dry cabinet, no lens, no nothing.

My budget is pretty tight, and only can afford $1300 or below. The 3 options for me are:

1) new nikon D50 with kit lens. ($1288 with 1gb SD card + blah blah...)
2) 2nd hand D70 body, rest of the money for a new lens???
3) 2nd hand D50 body, rest of the money for a new lens???

which one shld i take?

do you guys think i can get a 'good' useful range lens for less than $300? 2nd hand? or shld i go with option 1? And what is the difference btw D70s and D50?

:lovegrin: thanks for looking and your valuble comments.
 

King Tiger

Senior Member
May 11, 2004
5,914
1
38
47
In the heart of SengKang
www.worldwar2aces.com
BirdRobin said:
My budget is pretty tight, and only can afford $1300 or below. The 3 options for me are:

1) new nikon D50 with kit lens. ($1288 with 1gb SD card + blah blah...)
2) 2nd hand D70 body, rest of the money for a new lens???
3) 2nd hand D50 body, rest of the money for a new lens???

which one shld i take?
Hello BirdRobin

I would recommend you to get an 2nd hand D70 body (or D70s better).

BirdRobin said:
do you guys think i can get a 'good' useful range lens for less than $300? .
Get the Nikkor 18-70mm lense, it is an all rounder value for money lense.
You will never go wrong with this. :)

BirdRobin said:
And what is the difference btw D70s and D50?
Do a search on Nikon website on comparison between the DSLRs.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
i think you're stretching your budget a bit too tight.. actually I would recommend you to save up a bit more before commiting to a DSLR. after owning a body and 'simple' lens.. the urge to buy something else to upgrade will always be there. Think carefully.

and what's 'trained up' to own a DSLR? :dunno:
 

BirdRobin

Member
Apr 22, 2005
360
0
16
34
Toa Payoh
yanyewkay said:
i think you're stretching your budget a bit too tight.. actually I would recommend you to save up a bit more before commiting to a DSLR. after owning a body and 'simple' lens.. the urge to buy something else to upgrade will always be there. Think carefully.

and what's 'trained up' to own a DSLR? :dunno:
as in i have the skills to handle a DSLR, but i don't have one.:sweatsm:
 

TMC

Senior Member
Sep 4, 2004
6,320
0
0
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
Contact nightwolf75, about the D70 that he is holding on to. With that you can still have enough to prob get a 18-70.
 

BirdRobin

Member
Apr 22, 2005
360
0
16
34
Toa Payoh
King Tiger said:
Hello BirdRobin

I would recommend you to get an 2nd hand D70 body (or D70s better).



Get the Nikkor 18-70mm lense, it is an all rounder value for money lense.
You will never go wrong with this. :)



Do a search on Nikon website on comparison between the DSLRs.
from what I know, 1) no backlight for top LCD monitor, no mirror lockup, slower burst speed (which i dont care), lousier kit lens, SD card. any other important aspects i shld know?

and one more question. which viewfinder is bigger/smaller? or are they the same? (D50, D70, D70s)
 

BirdRobin

Member
Apr 22, 2005
360
0
16
34
Toa Payoh
TMC said:
Contact nightwolf75, about the D70 that he is holding on to. With that you can still have enough to prob get a 18-70.
thats cool i will pm him;)
 

eugenep

Senior Member
Nov 20, 2004
2,242
0
0
Changi
get 2nd hand d70 with kit lens ... but u will end up getting flash and wanting for more...
 

Jacobyeo

New Member
Feb 7, 2006
125
0
0
Singapore East
hmm.. would recommend u to get the d70.. personally used to d50 and noticed that the pictures comes out to be very 'white'.. the white areas are very saturated.. compared with a canon 350D and the difference is very obvious.. maybe because it is a 8 megapixel..:rolleyes: picture quality isnt as good as the d70.. strongly recommend that u get the d70 or save up for the 350D.. its worth it ;)
 

markccm

Deregistered
Jan 25, 2003
2,095
0
0
Asylum, Ward 4444
Visit site
Jacobyeo said:
hmm.. would recommend u to get the d70.. personally used to d50 and noticed that the pictures comes out to be very 'white'.. the white areas are very saturated.. compared with a canon 350D and the difference is very obvious.. maybe because it is a 8 megapixel..:rolleyes: picture quality isnt as good as the d70.. strongly recommend that u get the d70 or save up for the 350D.. its worth it ;)
white is likely bcoz exposure is wrong.
plbv

8MP or not, nothing to do with it.
 

BirdRobin

Member
Apr 22, 2005
360
0
16
34
Toa Payoh
hmm, anybody knows this? "and one more question. which viewfinder is bigger/smaller? or are they the same? (D50, D70, D70s)"

and if compared to 350D? (maybe wrong place to ask this :nono:)
 

Jacobyeo

New Member
Feb 7, 2006
125
0
0
Singapore East
markccm said:
white is likely bcoz exposure is wrong.
plbv

8MP or not, nothing to do with it.
if thats the case.. then wont it prove that the d50 metering system is not to standard?
 

TMC

Senior Member
Sep 4, 2004
6,320
0
0
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
depends on the surroundings. had to say exactly what is the problem w/o a pic. if the contrast is too high, then there is no choice. So far D50`s metering sensor has not been reported to have any problems. Might also be becoz of the the way your friend metered the exposure.
 

markccm

Deregistered
Jan 25, 2003
2,095
0
0
Asylum, Ward 4444
Visit site
Jacobyeo said:
if thats the case.. then wont it prove that the d50 metering system is not to standard?
it depends on wat u meter.
the camera & the metring system is constant.

the user is the variable.
 

superfly

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
225
0
0
Jurong West
I am in the same dilemma... new D50 Kit or second hand D70 Body + Lens... tough decision. :confused:
 

Francis247

Senior Member
Jul 10, 2005
6,633
0
36
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,899
0
0
Planet Nikon
Jacobyeo said:
if thats the case.. then wont it prove that the d50 metering system is not to standard?
A camera's metering is as good as the user controlling the metering, the camera itself doesn't know what to meter or how to meter unless the user tells the camera so. If the metering is to standard + perfect, then it won't have built in EV compensation for the photographer to control it.

As for the output from the D50, it's ability is somewhat modified from the D70/D70S which produces better JPEGs (no PP necessary) out of camera as compared to the D70/D70S. Of course for a cheaper camera you can expect the following things different from the D70/D70S as I've personally tried and compared the D50/D70:

- Lower DR, practially none actually, not even superb DR even in RAW
- Better out of cam JPEGs
- Colors a bit flat
- Lacking backlight for LCD (which I cannot live without)
 

superfly

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
225
0
0
Jurong West
Status
Not open for further replies.