Planning to purchase a K10D & need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox

Feb 15, 2004
Bedok
Hi guys.. I intend to purchase a K10D Kit from OP (yes, I understand the implications of buying a gray set) this coming Wednesday and was pondering over the kit lense. The primary aim of the camera is actually more for macro photography hence the choice of the K10D over the K100D Super. I can't survive with Penta-mirrors especially since I'm accustomed to my F3HP's larger & brighter VF.

That said, I would need to get a general lens like the kit lens for family gatherings and basic "product shots" for web articles (the 35 - 50mm range on a crop factor lens would be used most times here and 5-point lighting is used). Aside from that, I'd also purchase a macro lens later down the road.

As I've seen some comments that the lens has got issues with vignetting, I'm wondering if it'd be a smart choice to get the kit lense for general use. I'm looking to print 4R's for family gatherings here and as with all family gatherings, no one cares much about the arty-fartyness of the pictures as long as they can be seen in the pictures. I'd be using an external hot-shoe flash for additional lighting so stopping down the lens is not an issue for me.

First off, there is nothing wrong with getting a grey set.

I would suggest you don't discount the K100D Super even if it has a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism of the K10D. You should actually pick up the 2 cameras and make a hands-on evaluation because the difference when looking in the viewfinder is not too significant imo. Both the K100D Super and K10D are capable of doing macro, it boils down to your macro set-up (extension tubes, close-up filters, reverse rings, bellows, macro lens). While the K10D is more feature laden and better equipped, the K100D Super's more compact dimensions and many preset shooting modes makes it easier for other members of your family to use it for quick snaps.

The kit lens makes for a good starter lens and the price is very attractive. At the very least it is useful if you need an affordable wideangle and the image quality isn't too bad. If you need to do simple product shots, you can use a 50mm lens with an extension tube or get a dedicated macro lens like the DFA 50mm or DFA 100mm.

First off, there is nothing wrong with getting a grey set.

I would suggest you don't discount the K100D Super even if it has a pentamirror instead of a pentaprism of the K10D. You should actually pick up the 2 cameras and make a hands-on evaluation because the difference when looking in the viewfinder is not too significant imo. Both the K100D Super and K10D are capable of doing macro, it boils down to your macro set-up (extension tubes, close-up filters, reverse rings, bellows, macro lens). While the K10D is more feature laden and better equipped, the K100D Super's more compact dimensions and many preset shooting modes makes it easier for other members of your family to use it for quick snaps.

The kit lens makes for a good starter lens and the price is very attractive. At the very least it is useful if you need an affordable wideangle and the image quality isn't too bad. If you need to do simple product shots, you can use a 50mm lens with an extension tube or get a dedicated macro lens like the DFA 50mm or DFA 100mm.

It's for personal use actually.. My family won't be using it. I just need a general lens for gatherings and the likes of. The macro lens isn't going to be used for product shots. For that, a 35mm or 50mm will suffice. Macro will be for shots of insects.. If I can find them :bsmilie:
As for the camera, I'm quite set on the K10D. The difference in magnification ratio and the brightness makes a world of a difference for me especially when I do macros since I tend to manually focus.
The main thing I'm trying to establish is whether the kit lens is worth the buy or not. Especially since I'm looking more at the wide end when I use it.:think:

Kit lens is surely worth the buy. Used to thinking of upgrading my kit lens but after a few more weeks, the idea was gone. From the start, I would always use the wide end (18mm) for shooting landscape but not now.

Hope this helps :)

i'd actually wait a little longer for the new series to come out.. K20D, K200D and so on..

then i've have more time to decide on whether K10D or K100D(super) is for me.. and by then, the price would have dipped even further (as it is now, the price is already very alluring)

and who knows, K20D might appeal to you more?

*drools*
i hope Pentax doesn't come up with a K20D that'd make me wana get that body..

Thanks for the advice guys.. I don't think I can wait much longer for the K20D.. The nearest lab to develop and scan film is 45min from my place now that kex is no longer running his lab.. Time to move on to digital and I'll just get the K10D.. No point waiting for the next camera...

Price and Peformance bro...

I'm seduced by the K10D and K100D. Does anyone know where is the best place to buy one? I just need the body only. Better yet, if any of you have one to sell, please let me know.

alansoon at mac.com.

The last time i saw, the K10D cheapest is OP. They dont come with an agent warranty though, but offer a shop warranty. If you know anyone who knows any shop boss then alot easier to get a good price ;p

Shop warranty is fine as long as they honor they promise which they did. :)

If you are being seduced, just get it! :bsmilie:

how much is the body only? any updates?

The last time i saw, the K10D cheapest is OP. They dont come with an agent warranty though, but offer a shop warranty. If you know anyone who knows any shop boss then alot easier to get a good price ;p

That is true.. The lady boss (or rather, the boss' daughter) quoted me about $20 less than her staffers (who, unfortunately, have no cow sense sometimes).

That said, must find out who koped the last set on Sunday... dang it..

Just got a response from OP on the K100D Super:

----

Hi Alan,

Pleased to inform Pentax K100D super body is selling at S$730 with GST.
Thanks.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Lynn
Orient Photo Pte Ltd
1 Rochor Canal Road, #06-53, Sim Lim Square, Singapore 188504
Tel: 63391035
Fax: 63391034

www.orientfoto.com.sg

Just got a response from OP on the K100D Super:

----

Hi Alan,

Pleased to inform Pentax K100D super body is selling at S$730 with GST.
Thanks.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Lynn
Orient Photo Pte Ltd
1 Rochor Canal Road, #06-53, Sim Lim Square, Singapore 188504
Tel: 63391035
Fax: 63391034

www.orientfoto.com.sg

today got book out went down to see but sold liao :(

You can always ask them to reserve for you when the next shipment comes.

Just leave your contact and they will contact you once its here :)

It was already sold before the lady boss replied to alansoon.. :bigeyes:

I was there moments before she replied the email and was contemplating getting a K100D Super instead and using the difference in price to get a magnifying eyepiece when she told me the K100D Super was already sold.

Finally bought the camera.. I'm very happy.... and equally broke... :dunno:

Yeah.. Welcome to the Family Firefox...

Congrat on your purchase. :)

Next is Flowerpot turn :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.