Planning to get DSLR, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentt_whale

Mar 27, 2004
Singapore - Indonesia
Hi all,
I'm planning to get a DSLR camera, well, I haven't decided which brand I want to use. So basically, I need suggestion/advice from anyone. I'm a student and just doing photography for hobbies only. So I won't be interested in the high end DSLR. The budget will be around 1.5k.

Good morning,

Just a quick one ( I'll let the experts elaborate further):

Assuming a new one and that you are starting from scratch, be prepared to spend more than SGD1.5K for the complete system. Body, lens (assuming just one), flash (believe me, you will progress to a dedicated one faster than you think), dry cabinet, good tripod (once and for all).

Enjoy your search :)

haha yes, I also wanted to ask abt the accessory just now.
How much do I need to spend for the extra? (besides lens, body, flash and tripod)

vincentt_whale said:
haha yes, I also wanted to ask abt the accessory just now.
How much do I need to spend for the extra? (besides lens, body, flash and tripod)

Well, things like dry box, spare cards (CF or SD), spare batteries, filters, camera bag and loads of extra accessories which you'd never think of until you take the plunge... hehehe

Do have a good look around on which you would prefer for your system, in terms of upgrade options for later, as well as the comfort level you'd have when using the camera.

IMO, you can take a look at Nikon's D50 kit set (approx $1100). Not a bad starting set, add in a SB-600 ($300+), a dry box at abt $150 - 250 (depending on brand and size), tripod (ranging from $100+ to $300, can also consider monopod...)

Cheers,

If you have a budget concern and do not mind Olympus, can take a look at their offer for E-500. The latest package deal includes a zoom lens, a dry cabinet and other accessories.

I think Olympus and KM are the 2 cheapest and best value for money DSLR systems you have in the market. Though I think KM has a better edge over olympus in terms of performance and useful features but that's just my personal opinion.

Is KM still selling in the market? :think:

For stablity and wider choice for lenses and accessories you can try the 2 more dominant brands Nikon and Canon.

This is the furthest I will go. Anymore and it might lead to a violent brand war in here. :cheers:

Pentax DSLRs are pretty attractively priced now too. About S$1k w/lens.

Selection of DSLR systems is an impt step. Considering the upgrade/lens/accesssories/flash system etc.. for each brand before jumping in better. Canon and Nikon stil the most preferred brands for many ppl. Its best to do research first. Get hands on the different brands in shops oso to see which one fits ur needs and features u wan. Every system has its pros n cons

vincentt_whale said:
Yupe, I'm doing the research here hehe..
So any advice?

buy the brand of camera that most of your friends own.... easier to borrow lens in future... :bsmilie:

hmm... how abt make many friends with people using the same brands? ;)
I don't really have many friends here and it's very diversified. :)

hmmmm $1.5k is a bit on the low side for you to have the luxury to choose system...
If you just wanna take a camera and piak piak casually, you just need to spend $100 on a drybox and the (free) 1gb card can be used to store over 500 shots at lower resolution.

If you wanna be more serious about it.. the very very super ultra basic setup of
Flash($300), tripod ($100), drybox ($100) leaves you with only $1k

$ is the limiting factor, IMHO.
Pentax has a really cheap setup. ($1k)
2nd hand 300D + a cheap kit lens will do wonders for you ($750)
olympus and KM5d i dunno the price, so can't advice..
Never see 2nd hand D50 on sale, but it MIGHT be within your budget..

Well, what I mean is that 1.5K is for the body only or may be include kit lens. :)
What I have in mind is 300D, D50 or KM5D. I don't really know about the rest like olympus or pentax. That's why I need some advice for it.

get the Mamiya ZD
then no need upgrade for a longer period of time...

vincentt_whale said:
Hi all,
I'm planning to get a DSLR camera, well, I haven't decided which brand I want to use. So basically, I need suggestion/advice from anyone. I'm a student and just doing photography for hobbies only. So I won't be interested in the high end DSLR. The budget will be around 1.5k.
DOn't get DSLR... you will blow yr $1.5k veri fast.

jnet6 is rite
take his advice seriously

I suggest you go with a second hand Canon 10D probably with the vertical grip that is going for around 1000 - 1200 right now.. Then remaining can get a decent lens to work with for the mean time. The body is excellent, and would last you pretty long.

Is waiting an option?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022609panasonicdmcl1.asp

I'm in no hurry myself, so am interested to see how the new Panasonic DMC-L1 will turn out, with its Leica optics. However, it is looking at a possible launch at Photokina in Sep 06 only.

It's using the four-thirds system, which hopefully gathers more momentum in future and leads to a standardised lens system for DSLRs.

Pricing? Probably around the Canon EOS30D and Nikon D200 range. (Any gurus can translate this into likely Singapore street price? I have no idea how much DSLRs cost in S'pore. But I figure "not cheap" is definitely it? Above $2,000? ) More questions answered:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6783.html

watchthewaves said:
Is waiting an option?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022609panasonicdmcl1.asp

I'm in no hurry myself, so am interested to see how the new Panasonic DMC-L1 will turn out, with its Leica optics. However, it is looking at a possible launch at Photokina in Sep 06 only.

It's using the four-thirds system, which hopefully gathers more momentum in future and leads to a standardised lens system for DSLRs.

Pricing? Probably around the Canon EOS30D and Nikon D200 range. (Any gurus can translate this into likely Singapore street price? I have no idea how much DSLRs cost in S'pore. But I figure "not cheap" is definitely it? Above $2,000? ) More questions answered:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_6783.html
conclusion is over $1.5k SGD... :nono:
don't buy anything. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.