planning to do DIY pre-wedding shoot

Stagheart

Oct 6, 2006
really very tight on budget, so planning to shoot pre-wedding photo myself DIY style.
I got D90, Kit lens, Manfrotto Tripod and flash, Infra-remote trigger.

Any expert can provide useful tips ? :)

Unless you plan to have all shots shot from the same angle and height then sure do it yourself. Like what catchlights said, ask your future wife first. And bring lots of tissue, you are going to sweat for this.

really very tight on budget, so planning to shoot pre-wedding photo myself DIY style.

Find an air-con place. Confirm plus chop!!

I know some people shoot their own, but they are already very competent photographers, knowing what are they doing and able to get what they are looking for.
like this, Our Do-It-Yourself Pre-Wedding Photoshoot

but base on the way you ask, you will be better off using their facility.
SNAP! Self-Portrait Studio ------ 1st in Singapore!

so both of you won't be so malu at the park or whatever places that general public can see what are you two doing.

*** I don't have any connection with this studio nor I know the person who owns it.***

Don't think there are many experts on DIY pre-wedding, because that would mean that they would be married and divorced a number of times and can find new partners which agree to DIY pre-wedding. :bsmilie:

there is a resource called Best Friend. i think a 6 pack of beer can activate already .

or cat nip if your friend is a cat

When u planning to do the photo shoot? I'm juz a beginner but if u need my help can let me knw the date if I'm free I dun mind to help...

My tip is to do proper financial planning and invest in your marriage, what other leisure or non crucial things in life can you give up in to get this once in a live time thing done properly. Which is more important? But - different people have different perception, situation, environmental and many are valid reasons. So assuming your current financial ability or level of importance for wedding pictures is only at DIY level, here goes:

Scout locations with your camera and wife, take test photos and check exposure and flash power you need (your a strobist enthu right?).
Pre compose where to stand, where to position the tripod, make notes.
Learn some simple poses with your wife, also take the 'look at the camera smile happily' type of safe shots.
After a while you will realize you are repeating the same pose or it just doesn't look right, then don't waste time, its hard when you are not behind the camera, even behind the camera many pro wedding photogs (especially those singing the 90s PJ tune) can't do proper human portraiture too. Then don't waste time just take the look at the camera happily and smile shots.
If can don't use flash, don't, keep it simple.
Bring towels to wipe sweat because you will be doing a lot of walking back and forth, screwing and twisting tripod, and maybe cursing the equipment.
Are you guys in formal wedding attire? You need vehicle and a driver if you dont have license. You need a helper for the girl and gown too. People with no experience always think its easy, until the veil unravels and drop off, the wedding dress blackish and dirty and hair messy.

End of the day easier to use a real service instead.

there is a resource called Best Friend. i think a 6 pack of beer can activate already .

or cat nip if your friend is a cat

When u planning to do the photo shoot? I'm juz a beginner but if u need my help can let me knw the date if I'm free I dun mind to help...

There you got it, instant best friend.

if you plan do your own pre wedding photo shoot, it is not easy as you think,

but no harm trying, and always look at the brighter side,

at lease you have some thing to laugh about whenever you see the pre wedding photos many years later.

The way I see it, if you are a competent photographer confident of pulling it off, then you won't be asking this question on Club Snap.

But the fact that you have to ask indicates that you may not be able to pull it off successfully for some reason.

Nothing wrong to do it yourself if you're competent. BUT I'll suggest why dnt bring all your stuff and do a 'casual couple shoot' first.

Even same location, setup & poses, then you know for yourself Before wearing suit/gowns, props, etc etc. Less stress, and can redo many times..lol

But of course if wearing fullgown then gotta prepare for the hassle

Last edited:
Test it out with your fiancee. Wear something inconveniently hot and take photos yourself. Look thur magazines or online on some of the common postures you can use, eg point to the sky type, nose to nose kind etc. lol.. with these pose in mind, go to locations you might want to take and do a trial and test. If after all these and you think the photos come out acceptable and the effort is tahanable, then you can try it with an actual DIY wedding shoot.
Personally, get a friend to help. Let your snap happy friend snap non-stop and hope for the best.

One thing to remember. If this is your idea, just know that if you screw this up, there is a huge potential she will bring it up every time you guys have an argument.

I suggest you spend some money and do it nicely once and for all. Make her proud of the pre wedding shots. That, in my opinion, is the first step towards a wonderful marriage. You can always save on other things that are less important. Like spending less on luxury items, eating out at expensive restaurants less.

Last edited:
One thing to remember. If this is your idea, just know that if you screw this up, there is a huge potential she will bring it up every time you guys have an argument.

I suggest you spend some money and do it nicely once and for all. Make her proud of the pre wedding shots. That, in my opinion, is the first step towards a wonderful marriage. You can always save on other things that are less important. Like spending less on luxury items, eating out at expensive restaurants less.
TS is not a married man yet, don't expect him to understand all there.... ;)

If you screw up the DIY pre-wedding photos and your wife fired you.

I suggest selling your gears and use the money to hire a photographer.

Last edited:

If you and yr wife doesnt know how to pose, correct standing posture, you will look odd in the pic