Planning for the D60 and a good value starting lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Java_Guru

Feb 3, 2002
Visit site
HI All,

long time no see. With the upcoming release of the D60, my hand getting itchy already. It may be a good 6mths away before purchasing but no harm doing homework early right?

Can the pros here recommend a good value lense? Pls don't go "L" crazy which I know many of u have. Photography is a hobby for me and a good sigma/tokina might just be sufficient for me. I'm thinking of getting 2-3 lenses to complete the range. Can u advise strategy and which ones? I think I will need :

a) One wideangle one. Probably around 14mm.
b) General and Most used one. Probably 30-185mm.
c) Zoomer. Probably around 100-400mm.

Lense newbie here.

PS : Unless of course the D100 blows it away with cheaper pricing. Then I switch system. ;)

If you don't already have the lenses, then there's really no issue which system you enter. Carry a pro-Canon view around stops you from considering what Nikon has to offer, and vice versa.

Originally posted by Jed
If you don't already have the lenses, then there's really no issue which system you enter. Carry a pro-Canon view around stops you from considering what Nikon has to offer, and vice versa.

Nikon is going to be later and likely more expensive becoz it is expected this is a new product run (high r&d cost). Also, Nikon accessories are expensive. Just explain the 25 dollar lense cap to me. I lost faith the moment I heard it. :)-

Wide angle, go for Sigma, either the 14mm prime or 15-30mm zoom

Mid range, highly recommend tamron 24-135mm. Very versatile lens and very highly rated

Tele depends on your wants. sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is a value buy. Else get canon 100-400L, a very versatile lens and a 'do-all' range esp. for wildlife

Originally posted by Shadus
Wide angle, go for Sigma, either the 14mm prime or 15-30mm zoom

Mid range, highly recommend tamron 24-135mm. Very versatile lens and very highly rated

Tele depends on your wants. sigma 70-200mm f2.8 is a value buy. Else get canon 100-400L, a very versatile lens and a 'do-all' range esp. for wildlife

Shadus,

U got estimated pricing for those? I'm begining to budget liao..

Originally posted by Java_Guru
Nikon is going to be later and likely more expensive becoz it is expected this is a new product run (high r&d cost).

Well, possible but not necessarily true. The D1 was a new product run, and it cost less than half what the Kodaks cost. You also have to remember that the D60 has no direct competition in-system. On the other hand the D100 has to stay competitive with regard to the S2 Pro, hence keeping the cost down. I'm not saying what will happen either way, but I'm not convinced it will cost more or less than the D60.

After all the 1D costs more than the D1 series.

Also, Nikon accessories are expensive. Just explain the 25 dollar lense cap to me.

True, accessories are stupid. But while I don't know what a Canon lens cap costs, it's camera accessories in general that cost stupid amounts. I doubt you can pick up a Canon lens cap for less than S$10. Well I can pick up a Nikon cap for slightly more than that in the UK where things are generally more expensive. At any rate, even S$10 for a lens cap is a stupid price.

Now, seeing the current climate on the forum, I'm going to expressly state that this is not in any way a brand statement. I'm just trying to balance out the view both ways.

Very very roughly (cost i dunno exact price for some)

Sigma 15-30mm (~$1k)
Tamron 24-135mm ($640)
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 ($1220)
Canon 100-400mm L ($2400)

You need to include in your budget

1. D60 battery grip
2. 1 or 3 more spare batteries (it usually comes with only 1 and the battery grip uses 2)
3. filters

Originally posted by Jed

Now, seeing the current climate on the forum, I'm going to expressly state that this is not in any way a brand statement. I'm just trying to balance out the view both ways.

I'm keeping the back door open for Nikon. Hope they surprise. Anyway, I have the batts from my G2 that are compatible. Also all the software. I got locked in already but not severely.

Feature set of Nikon is expected to be better also. But have to wait for reviews. I need that AF speed. My G2's AF and zoom continues to irk me.

Very very roughly (cost i dunno exact price for some)

Sigma 15-30mm (~$1k)
Tamron 24-135mm ($640)
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 ($1220)
Canon 100-400mm L ($2400)

Oh my god. That will require a bread and water diet for a couple of months......Which one first? I think it would have to be the Tamron.

Oh my god. That will require a bread and water diet for a couple of months......Which one first? I think it would have to be the Tamron.

I'll get the Tamron first. Its a very good lens. Unfortunately, the 1.6x multiplier means tht the 24mm -> 38mm

I'll get the Tamron first. Its a very good lens. Unfortunately, the 1.6x multiplier means tht the 24mm -> 38mm

That is ok. I value the zoom more than the wide angle so it will do nicely.

Is there a lens review site I can check out? can't seem to find them from std camera review sites.

it's good to start off with just one lens, and then building upon that to form your own collection of lenses best suited to your needs.

the collection recommended by Shadus is good. Here's my own recommendation:

If u want a general zoom:
1) EF 28-135 f3.5-4.5 IS USM - about $850++
Pros: Good range, IS helps, sharp and highly flexible, full time manual focus, USM keeps focusing slient and fast
Cons: Not as contrasty, slow lens (3.4-4.5), IS does not stop subject movement, soft wide open

2) Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 - about $600+
Pros: Very well built, all metal body, sharp, optically good, f2.8 is fast esp for indoor use
Cons: clumsy manual focus mechanism, focus not silent, slightly soft wide open

3) Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - about $600+
Pros: Very well built, 24mm wide end very useful for digital SLRs, f2.8 is fast enough
Cons: Big filter size, slow focusing, slightly soft wide open, stiff zoom ring, clumsy manual focus mechanism

If you want high "L" quality (or near "L") and am willing to sacrifice zooming ability:

Collection A
EF 24mm f2.8, EF 50mm f1.8
Cheap - less than $600 in total. Perfect for getting you used to SLR photography and learning the ins and outs of your camera. Best of all, optically excellent. Both lenses share the same filter size too. Enables you to shoot without flash in all situations.

Collection B:
Sigma 20 f1.8, EF 50mm f1.8
Less than $700. Same advantages as above. Even faster combination since both are f1.8 lenses. 20mm allows you to go even wider.

Collection C:
EF 35mm f2
For when u're really on a budget, u can buy this only as your first lens (less than $500) and explore SLR photography. It's fun to shoot with only one lens and making the best use of it ;) Optically excellent, f2 gets u places general zoom can't, and helps keep the inital cost low while u decide on the kind of photography u like and the kind of lenses that will suit u.

Feature set of Nikon is expected to be better also. But have to wait for reviews. I need that AF speed. My G2's AF and zoom continues to irk me.

If that's the case, maybe you should take a look at the Nikon.

Nikon is going to be later and likely more expensive becoz it is expected this is a new product run (high r&d cost). Also, Nikon accessories are expensive. Just explain the 25 dollar lense cap to me. I lost faith the moment I heard it. :)-

Take heart. Canon has $54 lens hoods. :D

Regards
CK

Hi Java_Guru, you are a guru in Java but newbie in lens selection, hehe;p I also program in Java and was a newbie in lens stuff a few months ago. Now I am confident enough to decide which lens to choose. I also decided to get a D60 when it arrives but still wondering the price. If <4500, will definitely buy immediately. Everyday thinking of this baby, maybe I am a little bit mad abt getting a digital SLR:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Here is my plan for the incoming D60:
1. Canon EF 28-105 (comes with my EOF30)
2. Sigma 20 f/1.8 (bought already, it's fast and wide, you may take a look at many photos taken by Red Dawn, very nice)
3. Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (very good for value, quite and sharp)
4. Sigma 105 macro (1:1)
5. Canon EF 50 f/1.8 (fast and light)
and accessories e.g. flash.

Wish you become a guru in photography soon:)

Originally posted by tomshen
...I also decided to get a D60 when it arrives but still wondering the price. If <4500, will definitely buy immediately. Everyday thinking of this baby, maybe I am a little bit mad abt getting a digital SLR...

well, you may get your wish - various reliable sources (*cough dpreview *cough imaging resources), have put the street prices of the D60 and the D100 at around US$2000 ~ S$3,600++ at current exchange rate.

Imaging Resource Price article

There are even threads on the dpreview forum that put the D60 body alone at US$1999 quotation from some camera shops.

Think people who got the D30 recently will gonna scream at this price.

My buying strategy will NOT to buy when d60 ships (Apr/May). But probably after September by then the D100 should be out and exert more downward pressure.

I will also try to get the Kit version. Hopefully they give a discount on the lense u choose.

Originally posted by tomshen
Wish you become a guru in photography soon:)

Thx. I'm preparing the budget to achieve the objective. I think I will budget 1000 for the lense(s).

At least half the old birds here will be vulnearable to the D60. Probably 1/5 will make the switch this year I predict. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.