Planning for a NZ trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

st11x

Jan 12, 2004
Canberra,Australia
Hi,

I'm planning on a trip to New Zealand (NZ) sometime in Feb and while I'm doing my research on the place, I would also like to prepare my gear and refresh my photograhic techniques.

I'm at the crossroad between choosing a new lens versus a abanoning my system altogether; I only have a 24-105 and is not on digital. With all the beautiful landscapes, I thought a 17-35 might do nicely. However, with a camera like the Fujifilm S9000 Z is closely priced and with a wide zoom from 28, I was tempted. In favour of travelling light, I will either bring the film setup or the Fujifilm.

I'm looking to members who had visited NZ for advice. Would the larger FOV be very much appreciated?

On the same topic, with the crop factor of many more affordable DSLRs, I understand that the FOV doesn't change? So if I had stitched multiple photos taken at 24mm together, would that be similar to taking 1 photo at 24mm with a film camera? Of course, it's still a pain (and sometimes not possible) to have to take multiple shots for each "wow" scenery.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Matthew

It really depends how much you are into photography... once the lens is fixed.. that is it.. you may find yourself stuck with it.. then you may maybe thinking of getting a dslr ?! no matter what.. dslr sensor size is bigger and hence better image quality, i believe the focusing is much faster too. The kit lens that comes with dslr start from 18mm and it is as good as prosumer compact.

I just found this thread... not sure you have seen this.. hope it is helpful to you...

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?p=1033675

NZ? mmmm yummy.....lots of nice mountain...have a safe trip

tho havent been there myself

sigg said:
NZ? mmmm yummy.....lots of nice mountain...have a safe trip

tho havent been there myself

Thanks Sigg. Yes, I have seen so many images of it (especially in the Lord of the Rings) that it's just a must-see place ;-)

st11x said:
Hi,

I'm planning on a trip to New Zealand (NZ) sometime in Feb and while I'm doing my research on the place, I would also like to prepare my gear and refresh my photograhic techniques.

I'm at the crossroad between choosing a new lens versus a abanoning my system altogether; I only have a 24-105 and is not on digital. With all the beautiful landscapes, I thought a 17-35 might do nicely. However, with a camera like the Fujifilm S9000 Z is closely priced and with a wide zoom from 28, I was tempted. In favour of travelling light, I will either bring the film setup or the Fujifilm.

I'm looking to members who had visited NZ for advice. Would the larger FOV be very much appreciated?

On the same topic, with the crop factor of many more affordable DSLRs, I understand that the FOV doesn't change? So if I had stitched multiple photos taken at 24mm together, would that be similar to taking 1 photo at 24mm with a film camera? Of course, it's still a pain (and sometimes not possible) to have to take multiple shots for each "wow" scenery.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Matthew

Just go there and have fun :) Bring whatever you have and just snap away to save the furstration. Reason being that if you purchase a new cam now, you might have to get used to the cam and learn from it and when you do not get pictures you like to see, you will most likely blame the cam. ;p

Cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.