Plane Spotter's Trip: East Coast Park / Changi Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

arikyeo

Deregistered
Oct 23, 2010
Planet Earth
Its here! The official inaugural plane spotter's trip! *Insert applause & ribbon-cutting here*

Date: Monday, 13 December 2010
Starting time: 12.30pm
End time: Around 7-8pm
Meetup place: paya lebar MRT
What we can expect to shoot: -Planes taking off & landing
--------------------------------------Watersports
--------------------------------------Faraway objects we can shoot during the bus ride
--------------------------------------Birds perching (Specifically crows& Mynas)
--------------------------------------Landscapes (HDR/ND)

And others...

Things to bring: -DSLR with bazookas/telephotos / Superzooms
--------------------Tripod if you wish (For me, I'm just gonna take pics freehanded; I've got good arms:angel:)
--------------------Water

NOTE: If that morning is raining then I will SMS you whether the trip will be cancelled or not(I will have to see the severity of the rain first, if its small small drizzle then we just go as usual)

Here's how the trip will be like:

We meet up @ Paya Lebar MRT, then wkcheah (Thanks!) will drive us to ECP.

pabfhaada.jpg

Then we walk to Area C Pit Stop. We rent bikes (Do you want to walk all the way to the runway? Its 3km :)) Then we cycle to our first shooting place, the East Coast Lagoon Ski park, where we will play with our bazookas to take some shots of the people waterskiing.

Then we continue our cycling to this clearing: (X marks the spot)

pabfnaada.jpg

We will camp here to snap pics until we get bored, then we continue to cycle all the way until the end of the runway: (Again, X marks the spot)

pabfoaada.jpg

We stop here until we're bored, then we can either head back to return the bikes and go home or we can continue to Changi Beach, and snap some shots of the sea.

Ok, please copy the latest attendance list and add on your username like this:

1)ahben
2)ahbeng
3)ahkow
4)lalala

Then pm me your real name and HP number. Then RVSP here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=127688097293013

I will SMS those who are coming 1 week before, 3 days before & 1 day before to confirm that you're coming & I will sms those who confirm are coming the exact meetup place in the MRT station.

C ya guys!

Last edited:
Here are some samples that we can expect to take:

IMG_0121.jpg

ABOVE: Waterboarding

IMG_0164.jpg

ABOVE: Pic taken at the clearing

IMG_0182.jpg

ABOVE: Pic taken at Changi Beach

Sorry for the watermark, I was too lazy to re-resize again for Clubsnapers so I just grabbed them off from my site :embrass:

Last edited:
LATEST attendance list:

1)arikyeo
2)jeromevo

Hi,

Can I suggest something?

From your time schedule, I gather the EARLIEST time you'll be at Changi would be around 1-2pm... Meet 9am, +30 min waiting time, +1.5 hr journey, +30 min walk & rent bikes, +30 min lunch, +1 hr shoot watersports & cycle to Changi...

At that time, you'll
(1) possibly have rain showers... Very typical for this time for the year; or
(2) if the sun is out, it'll be very harsh and overhead... So if you shoot airplanes from below, you might get the bellies underexposed (ie. Dark)

So I suggest if you wanna shoot aeroplanes from below, you might wanna start at an earlier time, say around 6:30am to 8am.

You'll get
(1) morning sun from the east, pretty low on the horizon... And not so harsh (also not so hot)
(2) higher chance of NOT getting showers in the mornings.
(3) a lot of aircraft arrivals occur during those times.

Just some suggestions.

Cheers.

Hi,

Can I suggest something?

From your time schedule, I gather the EARLIEST time you'll be at Changi would be around 1-2pm... Meet 9am, +30 min waiting time, +1.5 hr journey, +30 min walk & rent bikes, +30 min lunch, +1 hr shoot watersports & cycle to Changi...

At that time, you'll
(1) possibly have rain showers... Very typical for this time for the year; or
(2) if the sun is out, it'll be very harsh and overhead... So if you shoot airplanes from below, you might get the bellies underexposed (ie. Dark)

So I suggest if you wanna shoot aeroplanes from below, you might wanna start at an earlier time, say around 6:30am to 8am.

You'll get
(1) morning sun from the east, pretty low on the horizon... And not so harsh (also not so hot)
(2) higher chance of NOT getting showers in the mornings.
(3) a lot of aircraft arrivals occur during those times.

Just some suggestions.

Cheers.
Thanks for yr suggestion! I'm currently considering for all of us to carpool... if there are enough drivers to drive all of us there we would be able to do everything 1 hour earlier... maybe we can have early lunch & stop by the clearing by 11+. The planes are flying very near over there.

Hi,

Like I mentioned, there are a lot of aircraft arrivals in the morning, between 5:30am to about 8am. You'll on average, see an aircraft on approach every 3-4 mins. You'll stand a better chance to capture these aircraft then. Besides, you can also catch the sunrise.

Personally, I go during those times for the above reasons. Additionally, it is not so hot... And after shooting, can go for breakfast.

Maybe I'll see you guys there. I live in the east, and I make a trip there if I have time...

Cheers.

Hi arikyeo,

Count me in. I stay on the east side, in fact, I could walk to East Coast and meet you guys there. :)

will PM you my number.

Cheers!

Hi,

Like I mentioned, there are a lot of aircraft arrivals in the morning, between 5:30am to about 8am. You'll on average, see an aircraft on approach every 3-4 mins. You'll stand a better chance to capture these aircraft then. Besides, you can also catch the sunrise.

Personally, I go during those times for the above reasons. Additionally, it is not so hot... And after shooting, can go for breakfast.

Maybe I'll see you guys there. I live in the east, and I make a trip there if I have time...

Cheers.
Sorry, morning's too much for me to handle... From my experience a lot of planes land in the late afternoon...

1)arikyeo
2)jeromevo
3)ismokeweed79
4) Ju5t4fun

LATEST Attendance list

1)arikyeo
2)jeromevo
3) Ju5t4fun
4)wkcheah

1)arikyeo
2)jeromevo
3)ismokeweed79
4) Ju5t4fun
5)wkcheah

too bad i wanted to join but 13Dec is monday.. ;-(

Last edited:
too bad i wanted to join but 13Dec is monday.. ;-(
Sry but I also wanted it on Saturday but the bike rental offer is only on weekdays... 3 for the price of 1. 6 dollars for 3 hrs instead of 18 gor 3 hrs...

Thanks for yr suggestion! I'm currently considering for all of us to carpool... if there are enough drivers to drive all of us there we would be able to do everything 1 hour earlier... maybe we can have early lunch & stop by the clearing by 11+. The planes are flying very near over there.
we got enough drivers, i believe. but is there enough car? i think most of us including myself, have driving license. but not everyone own a car. well then again, if there is someone here that comes from a rich background with spare cars at home but without driving license. then people with driving license can drive it. haha:bsmilie:

we got enough drivers, i believe. but is there enough car?
Yes, should be... 1 have 4 seater(but so far hw haven't reply to my sms) & wkcheah has kindly offered to drive us from paya lebar mrt, so that's why the meetup place is @ paya lebar mrt. Oh, he has a 7 seater :)

honestly having done plane spotting before[even AirForceOne], driving would be a better solution. not cycling to make yourself more tried. or running.

honestly having done plane spotting before[even AirForceOne], driving would be a better solution. not cycling to make yourself more tried. or running.

I just want to be clear about my intention - I am participating as a photographer, not a chauffeur. Originally, arikyeo asked if I could drive from where I live in the east to Jurong and then back!! That's definitely not on my agenda. I'm doing the paya lebar mrt pick-up out of goodwill. But I don't intend to chauffeur the group from one place to another along East Coast Parkway. I'm there to take photos, not be a driver. And I assume when the day ends, we will bid farewell and each of us find our way home (on our own). Hope you guys understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.