Plane Spotters.sg @ ClubSNAP – Official T.C.S.S Thread.

9V-Orion Images

Apr 1, 2009
Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
To keep the original plane spotting thread at the photo galleries sub-forum free from non-essential and irrelevant discussions that does not pertain to the photos and images posted, I’ll be starting this thread for general discussion related to civil and military aviation. Or basically anything under the sun, since it’s in kopitiam but no extreme topic drifting please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ClubSNAP Guide To Outdoor Plane Spotting Locations (Part 01).
Last edited and modified on 2010.01.10, 2235 hours (UTC+8).

4261685002_4e3d72a1e5_b.jpg

Aircraft approaching WSSS (ICAO “lingo” for Changi Airport) will usually conduct a landing on RWY 20R/20C (nearest to Changi Beach) between March to October, and RWY 02L/02C (nearest to Changi Business Park) between October to March due to prevailing seasonal winds (southwest/northeast monsoon), of course this is subjected to changes when the current wind conditions shift, cumulonimbus (CB) clouds are within the vicinity of the aerodrome, or a runway inspection/maintenance is underway.

Depending on the exact location which you will be at and based on a APS-C cropped sensor (x1.6 multiplier), the optimal lens required ranges from 50mm to 250mm or a 300mm to 400mm for close-ups shots when spotting from either Changi Beach or Changi Business Park.

Starting with mine favourite spotting location... Changi Business Park...
4262666878_44e0a9747c_b.jpg

4261682892_74d23865e6_b.jpg

Changi Business Park and to be more specific, the exact spotting locations are along Changi South Ave 3 and Changi South Street 1, is about a 10 - 15 minutes walk away from Expo (CG1) SMRT Station with no SBST or SMRT public buses plying the area.

For those whom does not have any personal transportation, JTC feeder bus services runs in the morning, afternoon and evening (applicable for weekdays only, not including public holidays) from both Expo (CG1) and Tanah Merah (EW4) SMRT station. A nominal 20 cents transportation fee applies per trip and the time schedule is located here.

During weekends, you might find some Indians playing crickets or soccer on the field too. A wide angle lens will be useful to capture the on-going play and a plane on final approach in the background.

I don't recommend anyone to stay beyond 2000 hours as it gets extremely quiet, often I find people driving towards the undeveloped land area of Changi Business Park (Changi Business Park Central, Changi Business Park Crescent etc. etc.) for some hanky-panky after dusk and I even found a shelter filled with used syringes once. Not somewhere you want to be caught with a DSLR by a bunch of hooligans high on alcohol and drugs.

Word of caution: Do watch out for traffic as there’ll be plenty of heavy vehicles plying the streets during working hours.

Last edited:
The ClubSNAP Guide To Outdoor Plane Spotting Locations (Part 02).
Last edited and modified on 2010.01.16, 2146 hours (UTC+8).

Changi Point Beach (Changi Beach) & Changi Ferry Beach (Changi Beach Extension).
4261915315_b7c76071bc_b.jpg

4261914223_eb25635552_b.jpg

In the case of Changi Beach Park, anywhere from carpark 3, 4 & 5 will be excellent for aircraft on final approach towards runway 20R whereas carpark 6 & 7 will be better for aircraft on final approach towards runway 20C. Do note that you’ll need a private transportation (be it a bicycle or a car) to get to carpark 6 & 7 unless you plan on being Johnnie Walker.

You might want to walk around the beach and carparks so as to get a sunlit shot of the aircraft depending on the time of the day. The location is reachable by SBST bus service No. 9, 19, 89, 89e, alight at Changi Point Beach (Changi Beach), Carpark 5 (Bus Stop No. B95081) along Nicoll Drive.

No Man's Land.
4278980888_52cec09b96_b.jpg

Please kidnly avoid the perimeter fence (ESPECIALLY THE EMERGENCY GATES) along Changi Coast road, as the area is on constant 24/7 surveillance by both the airport and local police. The entire airport is designated a protected area and photography of any buildings gazetted as such is against the law and yes, it's a chargeable offence under the Protected Areas and Protected Places Act (Chapter 256). Aviation equipments and buildings would most probably be captured in the frame along with the aircraft in shots taken from the emergency gates along the perimeter fence.

If caught, you're to comply with all instructions from the police to either delete the photos or hand over your memory card and leave the area immediately. Any failure to comply will have you arrested, this is no joking manner. For your well being, I hope you'll understand this.

Last edited:
WSSS AD 2-12: Updated Scheduled Closure of Runway 02L/20R.
Please Take Note That Aviation Time Standard Is Based On The Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

1A. Between 0200-0900 on first Saturday, between 1700-2300 on third Monday and third Wednesday of every month (preventive maintenance work). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

2A. Between 0240-0305, 0510-0520, 0800-0810, 1720-1730, 2320-2330 daily (inspection). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened within 5 minutes.

2B. Between 1945-2115 daily (maintenance). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

Between 2009.10.09, 2315 hours to 2009.10.10, 0015 hours RWY 02L/20R closed.

Runway 02L/20R closure between 2009.10.09, 1720 hours to 2009.10.09, 1730 hours cancelled.

Runway 02L/20R closure between 2009.10.09, 1945 hours to 2009.10.09, 2115 hours cancelled.

WSSS AD 2-12: Updated Scheduled Closure of Runway 02C/20C.
Please Take Note That Aviation Time Standard Is Based On The Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).

1A. Between 0200-0900 on second Saturday of every month from November to April (preventive maintenance work). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

2A. Between 1600-2300 on second Friday of every month from May to Oct (preventive maintenance work). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

3A. Between 1700-2300 on fourth Monday and fourth Wednesday of every month (preventive maintenance work). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

4A. Between 0315-0340, 0530-0540, 0820-0830, 2340-2350 daily (inspection). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened within 5 minutes.

4B. Between 1745-1915 daily (maintenance). In the event of emergency, runway will be re-opened in 30 minutes.

Runway 02C/20C closure between 2009.10.03, 0315 hours to 2009.10.03, 0340 hours cancelled.

Runway 02C/20C closure between 2009.10.03, 0530 hours to 2009.10.03, 0540 hours cancelled.

Runway 02C/20C closure between 2009.10.03, 0820 hours to 2009.10.03, 0830 hours cancelled.

Runway 02C/20C closure between 2009.10.09, 2340 hours to 2009.10.09, 2350 hours cancelled.

CAAS Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP).
WSSS Aerodrome (AD) 2-11 to AD 2-12.

Last edited:
how abt outside the staff canteen of T2? Is the photographing of aircraft using 02L forbidden?

Thanks orion for digging this up and very useful details. interesting stuff :thumbsup:

I suppose we are talking about those commercial big birds.

What about the war birds?

Those flying off PLAB and those based at Tengah. And not forgetting SAB.

I do not have much time spotting them. But I am looking forward to shooting the display in the next Air Show.

Last edited:
how abt outside the staff canteen of T2? Is the photographing of aircraft using 02L forbidden?
You do so at your own risk. I know of someone who was caught taking photos (with a P&S) at the top level of one of the multi-story carpark (MSCP). He was brought into a room and interrogated.

Even at the viewing gallery, I was once stopped by the airport police from taking anymore photos with a group of mine fellow friends (4 of them actually). This is probably because we are all using big-mama lens, went to grab some launch before heading back. :bsmilie:

Photography of aircraft is not prohibited, just the buildings and facilities. From the horse mouth, and verbatim I will quote...

Areas Prohibited From Filming/Photography (Including, But Not Limited To)...

(A) Runway
(B) Baggage Sorting Area
(C) Aerobridges
(D) Gate Holdrooms
(E) Control Tower
(F) Area before Departure Immigration
(G) Close up of Immigration/Customs counters
(H) Skytrain
(I) Perimeter Road

Last edited:
Huh? If that's the case then planespotting at TAB is a bad option eh? Mm, PLAB (Paya Lebar AirBase) is also very difficult to spot as the surrounding buildings are all low and the nearest tall HDB block is obscured by tall trees. In fact 1 guy got sent to the polic station for trying to take pictures of a C-130 at the airport rd - hougang ave 3 junction. I would say commercial planespotting is fine. But military eh, a lil risky. You know how our govt. reacts this so bttr not get invovled :X

Cowz.

Last edited:
Huh? If that's the case then planespotting at TAB is a bad option eh? Mm, PLAB (Paya Lebar AirBase) is also very difficult to spot as the surrounding buildings are all low and the nearest tall HDB block is obscured by tall trees.

In fact 1 guy got sent to the polic station for trying to take pictures of a C-130 at the airport rd - hougang ave 3 junction. I would say commercial planespotting is fine. But military eh, a lil risky. You know how our govt. reacts this so bttr not get invovled :X

Cowz.
Unless you're breaking the law by accidentally or deliberately taking photos of the equipments, buildings and facilities within the confines of the protected area (applies to Changi airport, too), I don't really see any problem with it as taking photos of the plane in public is just fine. Of course don't hang out in large groups with every single person holding a big-mama lens (might be mistaken for Short Range Air Defense (SHORAD) launchers). :bsmilie:

I believed that those who had serve NS will be able to differentiate between the related operations security (OPSEC) procedures pertained and informations found within the public domain, what can or cannot be disclosed and the consequences involved. If you have any doubts, it's best to spot with someone whom have the experience. ;)

BTW, I just edited the guide. You might want to either re-quote or remove the content. Thanks. :)

METAR
METeorological Aviation Report AKA Aviation Routine Weather Report.

For those who requires the latest meteorological information on the aerodrome in which they plan to spot, you can refer to the Aviation Digital Data Service (ADDS) operated by NOAAs' National Weather Service (NWS), Aviation Weather Center. Meteorological informations are updated ASAP.

Just fill in the ICAO aerodrome identifier code for the airport that you need to know...

* WSSL (Seletar Aiport).
* WSSS (Changi Airport).

* WSAG (Sembawang Air Base, data not available)
* WSAP (Paya Lebar Air Base)
* WSAT (Tengah Air Base, data not available)

Remember to click on the translate option before submitting, if you have no clue on how to interpret the raw data.

3514894577_311259ac8e_o.png

Last edited:
Once saw a METAR with a storm warning, and really crazy x-winds last year (IIRC). The runways was closed during that period, not sure how common is it to have the runways closed during the monsoon season though.

Last edited:
Ah,

It jus dawned on me. I rmbered last week when I went to Pulau Ubin for a cycling/photoshoot outing.

One possible place to spot planes with NO* repeat NO obstructions at all would be at the chek jawa nature trail, proceed to either the viewing tower which is about as tall as the trees or the wooden platform over the shore line around the mangrove area there's a shelter there, can spot around that area. Very nice view for spotting except a lil troublesome to get there. 250mm i suppose would suffice. I havnt tried spotting there cos I didnt bring my 70-300mm.

Orion, pls further advice and comment on this. Thanks.
Cowz.

Ah, It jus dawned on me. I rmbered last week when I went to Pulau Ubin for a cycling/photoshoot outing.

One possible place to spot planes with NO* repeat NO obstructions at all would be at the chek jawa nature trail, proceed to either the viewing tower which is about as tall as the trees or the wooden platform over the shore line around the mangrove area there's a shelter there, can spot around that area. Very nice view for spotting except a lil troublesome to get there. 250mm i suppose would suffice. I havnt tried spotting there cos I didnt bring my 70-300mm.

Orion, pls further advice and comment on this. Thanks.
Cowz.
Hmm, it's been years since I had been to Pulau Ubin. Doubt that I can provide any constructive feedbacks on the location involved. If one plans on going there on the purpose of nature photography, I suppose a little detour for some plane spotting activities might be quite ok? :think:

Otherwise the hassles and inconveniences involved just to reach there might put some people off. My two cents. ;)

For those who are interested, here's the link to the list of investigation reports from the Air Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB) of the Republic Of Singapore.

AAIB is responsible for the investigation of all reported accidents and serious incidents involving civil aircrafts operating within Singapore, not sure though if it's just within our territorial limits, or the entire Singapore Flight Information Region (FIR).

Awesome thread! Thanks for taking the effort to put this up.:thumbsup:

Atlantis (OV-104) will be lifting off from the Kennedy Space Center, launch pad LC-39A, in 5 hours (linked to the the space shuttle mission homepage) for the final servicing mission to the Hubble Space Telescope (HST). This will also be the second last mission for Atlantis (OV-104), and the final 5th mission before the space shuttle fleet is retired.

Follow the countdown live on NASA TV.
:D:D:D