Plan to use lens from old cam on new cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones24

Jul 7, 2009
Guys i own an canon EOS 88 which uses film to take photos.

Pardon me as i am very noob but i always assume that the most expensive portion of the camera is the larges lens that can be unscrewed. Is that right?

Are they sold seperately?

I was thinking buying a digital camera without the lens obviously from canon and then using the lens from the old camera and fit it unto the new camera.

Got this camera as a gift. Hardly ever used it, probably cos it uses film and u know it's very difficult to judge your photography skills.

Guys i own an canon EOS 88 which uses film to take photos.

Pardon me as i am very noob but i always assume that the most expensive portion of the camera is the larges lens that can be unscrewed. Is that right?

Are they sold seperately?

I was thinking buying a digital camera without the lens obviously from canon and then using the lens from the old camera and fit it unto the new camera.

Got this camera as a gift. Hardly ever used it, probably cos it uses film and u know it's very difficult to judge your photography skills.

Tak boleh... The film mount is FD and the digital mount is EF....

cannot match.

Anyway, these days the beginner sets are pretty decently priced. So look around, shop around and see which camera system you like better.

cannot match.

Anyway, these days the beginner sets are pretty decently priced. So look around, shop around and see which camera system you like better.

I see that's a pity as i feel that i have wasted this camera but then again it's so troublesome developing film.

cannot match.

Erm, TS has stated that he has an EOS 88. Film for canon does not mean FD mount...

Most (If not all*) lenses and SLR cameras after 1989 by Canon are EF lenses and EOS bodies.

This means his EOS 88 kit lens (probably a 35-85), will fit onto any EOS digital body. :confused:

*With eg. exception of the 200 mm f1.8 FD which was produced after it's EF counterpart.

Last edited:

cannot match.

Bro,

EOS are all EF mounts. Can be used but focal length suffers from the 1.5 X crop factor only. FD mount was pre EOS.

Erm, TS has stated that he has an EOS 88. Film for canon does not mean FD mount...

Most (If not all*) lenses and SLR cameras after 1989 by Canon are EF lenses and EOS bodies.

This means his EOS 88 kit lens (probably a 35-85), will fit onto any EOS digital body. :confused:

*With eg. exception of the 200 mm f1.8 FD which was produced after it's EF counterpart.

Thanks for this confirmation which probably means i could do what i have wanted which is to avoid buying an additional lens if i get a new digi camera unless these lenses are provided as part of the package.

Depending on what lens you have with your EOS 88, it might be wiser to get a kit because the kit lens of your digital cam would be made for digital and would take the 1.6x crop factor into account. Also, depending on what lens you have, it might not be such a good lens as to forsake the kit lenses offered with today's digital bodies. Besides, whoever complains about having more lenses? =)

Bro,

EOS are all EF mounts. Can be used but focal length suffers from the 1.5 X crop factor only. FD mount was pre EOS.

Sorry... my bad. I had the assumption that all Canon film cameras were FD...

I will take a photo of my lens to see if it can be used on a new digi cam.

Pls note i am newbie i have no idea if they provide those long long lens if u buy a new camera.

I will take a photo of my lens to see if it can be used on a new digi cam.
Pls note i am newbie i have no idea if they provide those long long lens if u buy a new camera.

Please have a good look at Canon website. They offer a huge line-up of lenses which all can be used on your EOS88 (still people shoot film) and also on digital bodies. Do take note of the difference between EF lenses (for film and full frame digital) and EF-S lenses (only usable on digital cameras with smaller sensor). Might take some time for you to read up but it's a good investment to know the details. For your existing lens you might need to check with Canon Camera Museum (also on their website) since the lens might be discontinued already. But that doesn't mean that it is unusable. Some older lenses are famous and still highly regarded, despite many newer lenses.
Wikipedia: EF Lens Mount for Canon cameras.
What you call "long" refers to the focal length of the lens. There is no fancy 'zoom factor' in DSLR, only the focal length in Millimeters. Some shops offer bundles of a standard kit lens and a telephoto zoom lens. Do read more before you get such an offer, there's more to know than just "it's a long lens".

Status
Not open for further replies.