Plagiarism in Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie_genie

Mar 17, 2006
Western Singapore
Hi pals

need your advice :( What can we do if I wake up one morning and realise that some photos which I post on my FB albums to share with friends have been plagiarised by someone I don't know and posted on their own homepage as if the photographs were taken by them? :eek: Am very shocked that people can do such things, almost like downright stealing.:thumbsd:

The copyrights below to me and my husband (the photographer). What can we do?

Anyone also 'kena' such experience before?

dont know if it true , was told that once photos upload into facebook belongs to facebook.

them as in everyone? The person who plagiarised our photos are not the FB team. Btw, where can I read the T&C?

FB has the right to use it but not anyone else.

edit: ie u cannot sue FB for distribution (unauthorised) but the person who stole the images is at fault.

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?ref=pf said:
User Content Posted on the Site

You are solely responsible for the photos, profiles (including your name, image, and likeness), messages, notes, text, information, music, video, advertisements, listings, and other content that you upload, publish or display (hereinafter, "post") on or through the Service or the Site, or transmit to or share with other users (collectively the "User Content"). You may not post, transmit, or share User Content on the Site or Service that you did not create or that you do not have permission to post. You understand and agree that the Company may, but is not obligated to, review the Site and may delete or remove (without notice) any Site Content or User Content in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason, including User Content that in the sole judgment of the Company violates this Agreement or the Facebook Code of Conduct, or which might be offensive, illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of users or others. You are solely responsible at your sole cost and expense for creating backup copies and replacing any User Content you post or store on the Site or provide to the Company.

When you post User Content to the Site, you authorise and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site. By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide licence (with the right to sublicence) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorise sublicences of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the licence granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.
here are the T&C

u should watermarked them ;)

another section

Copyright Complaints

We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from uploading, posting or otherwise transmitting on the Facebook website or service any materials that violate another party's intellectual property rights. When we receive proper Notification of Alleged Copyright Infringement as described in our Facebook Copyright Policy, we promptly remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing material and terminate the accounts of repeate infringers as described herein in accordance with the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. If you believe that any material on the Site infringes upon any copyright which you own or control, you may send a written notification of such infringement to our Designated Agent. Please see our Facebook Copyright Policy for more information on how to report infringement of your copyright.

I think this is relevant -

"You may not post, transmit, or share User Content on the Site or Service that you did not create or that you do not have permission to post. We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from uploading, posting or otherwise transmitting on the Facebook website or service any materials that violate another party's intellectual property rights. "

Should I write to that plagiariser and ask for the photos to be taken down or at least acknowledged?

"You may not post, transmit, or share User Content on the Site or Service that you did not create or that you do not have permission to post. We respect the intellectual property rights of others and we prohibit users from uploading, posting or otherwise transmitting on the Facebook website or service any materials that violate another party's intellectual property rights. "

Should I write to that plagiariser and ask for the photos to be taken down or at least acknowledged?

just write and see what he says lor...

Yes, you can do so.

Also, if the offender does not take them down and apologise, I believe you can feedback to Facebook and inform them that that particular user is a leecher.

It give FB team the right to use but not for other users to steal it. :thumbsd:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice this morning.

The leecher has taken down our photos from his album but didn't even offer a word of apology. :sticktong

Some people just don't respect the intellectual rights of others, esp when it comes to artistic images like photography....:thumbsd:

They don't belong to FB, they can only use them on FB or for advertising FB.........

HS

everyone's been getting it wrong. they only have that clause for if you decide to disable your acct, the photos that you tagged your friends in are still accessible by them. All this talk about fb using your work and selling them is just unfounded paranoia.

everyone's been getting it wrong. they only have that clause for if you decide to disable your acct, the photos that you tagged your friends in are still accessible by them. All this talk about fb using your work and selling them is just unfounded paranoia.

Facebook's words aren't clear and they could take the text from deviantART because deviantART got it right.

I understand that Facebook will save accounts to backups, but the Facebook wording does not make it clear that they have no claim to them. In fact, it connotes the opposite, that they have an undying licence to them.

Facebook's words aren't clear and they could take the text from deviantART because deviantART got it right.

I understand that Facebook will save accounts to backups, but the Facebook wording does not make it clear that they have no claim to them. In fact, it connotes the opposite, that they have an undying licence to them.

actually it does. awhile back when this idiot rumor started the founder of facebook came out and stated it as i mentioned. face it if its truly what people are saying it is there would be countless lawsuits right now challenging facebook about claiming ownership. not just amateurs post their pics there. but pros as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.