placing of camera horizontally

jujuweed

Apr 5, 2008
hi guys ,
issit ok if the camera body is resting on the lens? as in the weight of the lens is heavier than the body.in this case i fix a batt grip and since the lens is heavier than the body, the cam does not sit horizontally on a flat surface ,the lens is kindof pointing downwards. will it spoil's the mounting on the cam in a long run.?
thanks any input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
hi guys ,
issit ok if the camera body is resting on the lens? as in the weight of the lens is heavier than the body.

Let me try to understand this ... you have a small body, but you using a super duper huge lens? So now your camera is dwarfed by the lens, and you are placing in on, say a table, and it is basically like as if the camera is hanging in mid air from the camera?

in this case i fix a batt grip and since the lens is heavier than the body, the cam does not sit horizontally on a flat surface ,the lens is kindof pointing downwards. will it spoil's the mounting on the cam in a long run.?

Give your camera some credit. It is not made of jelly. Imagine those photographers who still have cameras from way back when Ronald Reagan was president of the USA (hope you know who is RR), and the camera's mount ring is still ok.

So no worries, just don't do things like dropping them around or throwing them around. If you take care of things, they will last longer, but not to the point of being so gingerly about it. Your camera is not that fragile!

vertical or horizontal is up to your convenience level

hi guys ,
issit ok if the camera body is resting on the lens? as in the weight of the lens is heavier than the body.in this case i fix a batt grip and since the lens is heavier than the body, the cam does not sit horizontally on a flat surface ,the lens is kindof pointing downwards. will it spoil's the mounting on the cam in a long run.?

if the lens comes with a tripod collar then you should mount it on a tripod with a tripod collar if you are planning to not hold it for long periods of time.

why are you placing your camera on horizontal flat surfaces and not supporting the lens in such a case, anyways?

thank u for the inputs. ok normally with the kit lens with battery grip on, it can stand vertically when i put inside my dry cabinet. now since i bought the 17-55mm it cant stand vetically no more , the camera is now resting on the lens front element. i noe that the mounting is bullet proof but i just dun feel rite putting like dat. should i remove the lens when storing inside the dry cabinet or when not in use or just leave it like dat n dun be 'paranoid' about it..hahaha. sorry new things just make me paranoid..:eek:

Last edited:
thank u for the inputs. ok normally with the kit lens with battery grip on, it can stand vertically when i put inside my dry cabinet. now since i bought the 17-55mm it cant stand vetically no more , the camera is now resting on the lens front element. i noe that the mounting is bullet proof but i just dun feel rite putting like dat. should i remove the lens when storing inside the dry cabinet or when not in use or just leave it like dat n dun be 'paranoid' about it..hahaha. sorry new things just make me paranoid..:eek:

oh, that's what you mean..

i don't think you need to worry, it's just balance issues, more than weight.

i thought you were talking about a 600mm telephoto lens, in that case trying to keep it horizontal for long periods of time would damage your mount for sure.

if you want to remove it to stow it so that it looks nicer there is nothing wrong with that, but i don't think there is an issue with keeping it that way, really.

What I did was to make use of the styrofoam that was used for my dry cabinet packaging. Coincidentally there was one L-shaped piece that I can use to rest my lens on while still keeping the camera standing. You can always DIY one :).

I place my camera with lens facing up, pointing to the sky, camera lying on its back. Any issues?

8640.jpg

do you think the mount will spoil?

Haha i think different la. The fulcrum is at a different location :bsmilie:

Tripod collar mount vs body

Haha i think different la. The fulcrum is at a different location :bsmilie:

Tripod collar mount vs body

Body + Lens resting on something vs full weight of body.

Wouldn't that mean it would be less stress on the joint in comparison to having the full weight of the camera on the joint? I'm just guessing. I could be wrong.

hmmmm ...yeah got a point there..but for that the force of the mount is evenly distributed when it is on a tripod.but when on a flat surface it is stressing on the bottom part of mount only. hais!!! im getting more n more paranoid by the day..:confused: haha.. guess onli time can solve this extra sayang moment for the lens...