Places

blvck dino

Oct 6, 2014
jurong west
www.facebook.com
Guys do you guys know any places to take photo at the rooftop ? Place thats do not need to pay? And no security?

The only roof top is accessible to general public is the roof top of multi-story car parks of HDB.

for the roof top of HDB apartments, condos and commercial buildings are out of bounds for security reasons. That is very obvious if you have read news paper about some incidents took place at roof top,

Go Mount Faber also like roof top.

My house :)

But seriously, must it be rooftop or just any place high up. If it is just a high up place, you can easily go to the top storey of the flat.

Ouh okay hahah any high level will do:)

Also note... Getting a good location to shoot high or any places with great location to take an interesting shot is like fishing. It is like hooking a great big fish that gave a good fight and a fine meal. Meaning.. No one will tell you the really best spot to fish. How I found all my best spot? I spend many 'fishless' days walking to find them. heh.

Reactions: kei1309
Also note... Getting a good location to shoot high or any places with great location to take an interesting shot is like fishing. It is like hooking a great big fish that gave a good fight and a fine meal. Meaning.. No one will tell you the really best spot to fish. How I found all my best spot? I spend many 'fishless' days walking to find them. heh.

agreed, been there done that.

no one will tell you their best spots. one of the reasons is to keep it unique. if everyone has the same shot, it gets boring.

the other is that with herd mentality, if just one loud mouth announces the spot to everyone, everyone will head to that location. this will greatly disturb others who need the peace, and this is especially so if it's a residential area.
else, these places might be actually secure places where the building management closes one eye. but if everyone flocks there to shoot, then that privilege has a high chance of being revoked.

therefore TS, if you find a good location, don't tell anyone. let them find it on their own. don't kill the location for everyone. it might seem selfish, but it's very true.

part of the fun and joy of photography is discovery. so why not discover your best shooting spots?

no one will tell you their best spots. one of the reasons is to keep it unique. if everyone has the same shot, it gets boring. the other is that with herd mentality, if just one loud mouth announces the spot to everyone, everyone will head to that location. this will greatly disturb others who need the peace, and this is especially so if it's a residential area. else, these places might be actually secure places where the building management closes one eye. but if everyone flocks there to shoot, then that privilege has a high chance of being revoked. therefore TS, if you find a good location, don't tell anyone. let them find it on their own. don't kill the location for everyone. it might seem selfish, but it's very true. part of the fun and joy of photography is discovery. so why not discover your best shooting spots?
You makes it sounds like u are the one who won't share the location? Photography to me is about sharing then there will be joy in it. Everybody go to the same place to shoot but the end photos will not be the same. Everybody has their own shooting style. I always feel that those who don't share and keep the best for themselves are not confident with their own works and will always scared people get a better shot than them. The fact is that photography is an art and there is no right or wrong,there are only improvements to be made. Please learn to share and u will find it to be more fun and make more friends. Nobody is the best,everybody learns from everyone.

Last edited:
You makes it sounds like u are the one who won't share the location? Photography to me is about sharing then there will be joy in it. Everybody go to the same place to shoot but the end photos will not be the same. Everybody has their own shooting style. I always feel that those who don't share and keep the best for themselves are not confident with their own works and will always scared people get a better shot than them. The fact is that photography is an art and there is no right or wrong,there are only improvements to be made. Please learn to share and u will find it to be more fun and make more friends. Nobody is the best,everybody learns from everyone.

Looking forward to your first posting in Landscape Section.

I agree with kei1309 here,

certain places are accessible, just Google it you will able to find, certain places are not accessible, than so be it, or if people want to keep it secret, just respect them.

especially some wedding photographers don't want to disclose where are their favourite spots, because once they let outsiders know, the spots will soon gone for the wedding photographers.

It is the same like sharing the locations of certain birds habitat, you will only disclose to those people who you trust, people who will take good care of the birds and their habitat.
Not by posting it in a public forum, you won't know who is reading it, and what will the fate of the birds like next week.

we also discourage members disclose the spots where they photograph the stray cars in open forums.

this is not being selfish, but being responsible.

I agree with kei1309 here,

certain places are accessible, just Google it you will able to find, certain places are not accessible, than so be it, or if people want to keep it secret, just respect them.

especially some wedding photographers don't want to disclose where are their favourite spots, because once they let outsiders know, the spots will soon gone for the wedding photographers.

It is the same like sharing the locations of certain birds habitat, you will only disclose to those people who you trust, people who will take good care of the birds and their habitat.
Not by posting it in a public forum, you won't know who is reading it, and what will the fate of the birds like next week.

we also discourage members disclose the spots where they photograph the stray cars in open forums.

this is not being selfish, but being responsible.

Its not that i don't agree with Kei totally and I do not mean that every places have to be shared.
Like u mentioned some places that are not accessible or places that have tight security,residences or places that only some individuals have privilege in getting to are pretty understandable..but as mentioned by Kei "no one will tell you their best spots. one of the reasons is to keep it unique. if everyone has the same shot, it gets boring."therefore TS, if you find a good location, don't tell anyone. let them find it on their own. don't kill the location for everyone. it might seem selfish, but it's very true." these doesn't seem responsible imo.
As i have said everybody can shoot from the same place,but the result won't be the same...and it is through inspiring that everyone improves,not sure if u had agree with me on this?
Personally I will still share whenever possible, sometimes publicly or privately if someone asked me personally.
also not only locations,but my camera settings and all and I will consult others also..this is how everybody learns imo,because nobody is perfect :)
sorry to add on,a unique shot is not simply base on a location where nobody knows alone.
and also mentioned by Kei "part of the fun and joy of photography is discovery. so why not discover your best shooting spots?" I totally agree that discovery is fun but don't forget to share and others will share with u what they have discovered.

Last edited:
Maybe TS could start posting shots from worthy locations and offer to trade with others who also posted their shots from other places? Keep it one-to-one and private.
:)

Its not that i don't agree with Kei totally and I do not mean that every places have to be shared.
Like u mentioned some places that are not accessible or places that have tight security,residences or places that only some individuals have privilege in getting to are pretty understandable..but as mentioned by Kei "no one will tell you their best spots. one of the reasons is to keep it unique. if everyone has the same shot, it gets boring."therefore TS, if you find a good location, don't tell anyone. let them find it on their own. don't kill the location for everyone. it might seem selfish, but it's very true." these doesn't seem responsible imo.
As i have said everybody can shoot from the same place,but the result won't be the same...and it is through inspiring that everyone improves,not sure if u had agree with me on this?
Personally I will still share whenever possible, sometimes publicly or privately if someone asked me personally.
also not only locations,but my camera settings and all and I will consult others also..this is how everybody learns imo,because nobody is perfect :)
sorry to add on,a unique shot is not simply base on a location where nobody knows alone.
and also mentioned by Kei "part of the fun and joy of photography is discovery. so why not discover your best shooting spots?" I totally agree that discovery is fun but don't forget to share and others will share with u what they have discovered.

Once again, only share with those responsible enough not to make it widespread until complaints are heard.

Like what Uncle Catchlights explained, we have our reasons for not doing so. There are those who are socially responsible and will not drag a whole group to the location. But there are also those that go there and drag their whole group along, if you follow certain groups in facebook.

Some of these places are HDBs and residential areas and while they may be good locations to shoot at, residents' opinion on the matter may differ.

And not sharing doesn't mean that we're selfish, but rather we believe that you're not socially responsible enough not to disturb the public.

Looking forward to your first posting in Landscape Section.

So sorry that i seldom take landscapes photography and not very good at it.
Not sure what has it got to do with my previous post?

Maybe TS could start posting shots from worthy locations and offer to trade with others who also posted their shots from other places? Keep it one-to-one and private.
:)

I do agree that TS should start and share first before expecting others to share.