Places to develop film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

htennek

Am currently getting my prints from ruby at peninsular and it costs me about errm $18 to develop and print my XP2 rolls. Is there anywhere else where it is cheaper? i tried sending it to the normal Standard shops around my place but they don't seem to understand when i want to develop it closest to black and white and the colour is inconsistent when returned. :dunno:

Oh and does anyone know which is the most value for money (re: cheap yet decent) film scanner on the market? are there any comparative reviews around? cheers

No help on the development of film.. I shoot digital :)

As for the scanner though. Just did a lot of research on them as I bought one for my Wife for Christmas... After much read and research decided on the Minolta Dimage Duel Scan III.. Just released in Singapore a few weeks back.. Should be able to get it at Cathay for about $550.. Supports USB 2.0, pretty good rez, and great colours so far..

There are better scanners to be had, but not much comes close to this at $550.. Very affordable and functional scanner... Do a search on the name and you will find a number of reviews..

Mike

Originally posted by htennek
Am currently getting my prints from ruby at peninsular and it costs me about errm $18 to develop and print my XP2 rolls. Is there anywhere else where it is cheaper? i tried sending it to the normal Standard shops around my place but they don't seem to understand when i want to develop it closest to black and white and the colour is inconsistent when returned. :dunno:

Oh and does anyone know which is the most value for money (re: cheap yet decent) film scanner on the market? are there any comparative reviews around? cheers

xp2 is chromo? can try stanley's... 40cts BW 4R... yeah he supposed to give me more discount @$%@$%@#$ ;p

gtee b/w, with std choices of tints if u want... same price...

Originally posted by denizenx
xp2 is chromo? can try stanley's... 40cts BW 4R... yeah he supposed to give me more discount @$%@$%@#$ ;p

ermm where is stanley's?

it's diagonally opp the nafa place... the old st anthony's boy sch at bugis... Midlink plaza... OR it's beside the U-turn lane at the SiBehLor Temple->Indian temple->U-lane->right-hand building

You have stumbled on the reason why I keep telling people not to stinge of film processing and printing. It's not worth it. It's being "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish".

You spent so much on your equipment, so much effort shooting, why stinge what matters - the final result? Most neighbourhood labs can't make it, especially when printing chromogenic B&W. They can never get a neutral B&W unlike the better labs.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
You have stumbled on the reason why I keep telling people not to stinge of film processing and printing. It's not worth it. It's being "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish".

You spent so much on your equipment, so much effort shooting, why stinge what matters - the final result? Most neighbourhood labs can't make it, especially when printing chromogenic B&W. They can never get a neutral B&W unlike the better labs.

Regards
CK

hyeah! so now I just ask my n'hood lab to process... $2 only then scan at home... BWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA...

Why? scan the correct is it?? Just curious... how many of you do your own printing... I don't mean ALL the time lah...

Originally posted by Silverelf
Why? scan the correct is it?? Just curious... how many of you do your own printing... I don't mean ALL the time lah...

simi scan the correct? I dun speak Yodaish... ;p ;p

Which Ilford paper goes well with epson printers huh?anyone can help?

simi scan the correct? I dun speak Yodaish... ;p ;p

Oops... sorlie sorlie.. I meant "scan THEN correct is it??"
ME spell bad... You angry not be? :biglaugh:

Oh ckiang... what printing you do? B/W, colour.. I don't know... what else is there?? I only know B/W and I am at the fascination with printing phase..... :)

Originally posted by shmott
Which Ilford paper goes well with epson printers huh?anyone can help?

Yes. The Ilford Smooth Pearl performs VERY well on the 890 (and probably on 810, 830, 1270, 1290, etc as well).

Originally posted by silverelf
Oh ckiang... what printing you do? B/W, colour.. I don't know... what else is there?? I only know B/W and I am at the fascination with printing phase.....
I used to do B&W 15 years ago, in the school darkroom. Now I print colour photos off my Epson 890 in my "digital darkroom". Someday, I'm gonna try traditional B&W printing again....

Regards
CK

mmmMMM no no no! laugh not, scan ye-es..
yeah lab don't colour correct for u mah...

besides colour n bw printing? aw (wo)man u're surpassed moi already...
go dig up the thread on printing and colourspaces... LOL

So apart from Ruby at Peninsular and Stanley at Midlink/at the U-turn lane at the SiBehLor Temple->Indian temple->U-lane->right-hand building, what other shops provide decent B&W processing?

And at what cost?

I get mine done at RGB. It's $0.80 a piece excl. processing fee. Which works out to be something like $28.80+3.60=$32.40 or $27.55 if you're a student/alumi of NUS/NTU (15% off).

It's not cheap. At $18, it's a steal. But given a chance, i would like to compare the print quality of the two.

mmmMMM no no no! laugh not, scan ye-es..
yeah lab don't colour correct for u mah...

besides colour n bw printing? aw (wo)man u're surpassed moi already...
go dig up the thread on printing and colourspaces... LOL

The good labs do correct prints from film, and they do individual corrections. The neighbourhood and other labs probably leave the machine on autopilot which gives horrid results.

Regards
CK

but colour cast?? exposure only right? at most they tint a bit... but not like can patch areas

but colour cast?? exposure only right? at most they tint a bit... but not like can patch areas

Aiya, of coz lar. You want them to do that you have to pay liao. The very least they do is to make sure colours are correct, and weird colour casts removed. And even prints from TCN looks good, without any sepia casts.

Regards
CK

Well, at the moment I'm trying to beef up on my foundations.. and my neighbourhood shop seems to do fine... Think I shall go and get the B/W developers and stuff so I can at least do my own developing first...... printing I have to go borrow equipment liao

Status
Not open for further replies.