Pixel Pursuit - can our lenses resolve that well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychobiologist

Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Over the past few years, the resolution of digital cameras have been rising steadily, and its pretty much the norm to see 10mp to 12mp in cameras nowadays.

Are our lenses able to cope with such a resolution? I forgot where i had heard it but someone did mention to me on how some primes could out resolve what the 10mp ccd can handle, but many are just within the threshold.

There's a lot of theoretical discussion on this if you google. The answers are being debated by experts. I think the noise of the CCD will be a greater limiting factor.

Over the past few years, the resolution of digital cameras have been rising steadily, and its pretty much the norm to see 10mp to 12mp in cameras nowadays.

Are our lenses able to cope with such a resolution? I forgot where i had heard it but someone did mention to me on how some primes could out resolve what the 10mp ccd can handle, but many are just within the threshold.

In Nikon subforum. ;p I have lenses that outresolve D2X, one of them is a zoom. ;p

There's a lot of theoretical discussion on this if you google. The answers are being debated by experts. I think the noise of the CCD will be a greater limiting factor.
yup i know google has lots of "answers" but just looking for opinions from our community though.

Angenieux 28-70/2.6. I don't have any of the trinities. ;p

That's one great piece of lens. You've got any flaring problem using it on DSLRs?

BC

That's one great piece of lens. You've got any flaring problem using it on DSLRs?

BC

Haven't really used it because the length is not useful for DX plus the AF slaps around too much and then hangs with D2X. So far only tried indoors for test shots seems ok. However, to use it with anything less than D2X is insulting the lens. ;p

It's my favourite lens on F4 when I shot film.

The Ultra Micro Nikkors

yup i know google has lots of "answers" but just looking for opinions from our community though.

You asked for answers (ie "Are our lenses able to cope with such a resolution?" = yes or no answer), not opinions. And frankly speaking, the experts who have strong knowledge of optical theory and chip technology can give you far better answers AND opinions. Beyond just yes or no, detailed theoretical reasons for yes or no would be of interest, which is what you could get from these experts.

well, not that technical a person...

but looking at a simpler approach.

Even if you have 255mp, are you going to really use 255mp? end of the day, its just take 255, crop, then put in the webpage or print.

The 255mp imho, will only be crop until 2mp for web, 20mp (max) for printing A4, and who the hell would use an image taken from a 35mm to use as a building banner?

look in another point of view... if its able to squeeze 255mp into such a small thing, then if we only need 20mp, we can use it like a super ccd, each group of pixel will consist of 8 color pixels, and it will resolve noise, enhance color...

so its still... more pixel the better, for other purposes... for normal you and me, take pics post in web, see on monitor, print 4R to 8Rs, 6mp more than enuff... print A4 super duper sharp, 12mp, wanna print A3, then 20mp... so on & so forth...

if gimme a 20mp cam, with option to do only 6mp, but with a color enhancement, noise reduction... i'll worship it...

well, not that technical a person...

but looking at a simpler approach.

Even if you have 255mp, are you going to really use 255mp? end of the day, its just take 255, crop, then put in the webpage or print.

The 255mp imho, will only be crop until 2mp for web, 20mp (max) for printing A4, and who the hell would use an image taken from a 35mm to use as a building banner?

look in another point of view... if its able to squeeze 255mp into such a small thing, then if we only need 20mp, we can use it like a super ccd, each group of pixel will consist of 8 color pixels, and it will resolve noise, enhance color...

so its still... more pixel the better, for other purposes... for normal you and me, take pics post in web, see on monitor, print 4R to 8Rs, 6mp more than enuff... print A4 super duper sharp, 12mp, wanna print A3, then 20mp... so on & so forth...

if gimme a 20mp cam, with option to do only 6mp, but with a color enhancement, noise reduction... i'll worship it...

Wah! You use 2mp images for web? I use only 0.24mp (600x400). ;p
Anyway, people have used 3MP D1X to shoot images that have been printed on posters several meters long and wide. The thing about large prints is that you almost never stand so close to scrutinize the details. I think the only people who need very high MP count are those who do aerial photography, requiring the frame to cover the entire area but also need to retain the local details.

Status
Not open for further replies.