Pixel Density of 5D Mark II (21 MP) VS 550D (at 8 MP)

rinn85

Jul 12, 2008
From the technical specs I've managed to gather, 5DII has a pixel density of 2.4 MP/sq cm , while 550D has a pixel density of 5.4 MP/sq cm.

Will lowering the shooting megapixel at 8 MP in the 550D render a "similar" image quality as a 5DII at the same cropped image?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cropping doesn't change the design of the sensor. The pixel density per area is still unchanged on the sensor...
did you imagine that by shooting at lower MP on the 550D would increase the pixel density? dun think it would change.

Last edited:
Hi ovaltinemilo! thanks for the reply.

I did assume that shooting at lower MP on the 550D will decrease the pixel density per area. Haha so there is no way to change pixel density on DSLR??

Hi ovaltinemilo! thanks for the reply.

I did assume that shooting at lower MP on the 550D will decrease the pixel density per area. Haha so there is no way to change pixel density on DSLR??

it's everything from design of the wafer, pattern mask used during lithography...all the way to the si wafer being produced. So...u got to change a camera to change that..haha...550D already has very good image quality... probably you can buy a better lens to utilize its full potential?...

Shooting a lower resolution JPG from your camera doesn't lower the pixel density. The camera still shoots at the native resolution, then downsizes it.

Those Canon 18MP crop sensor cameras (7D, 60D, 550D, 600D) are going to need the newest generation of lenses to bring out the best. Those pixel peepers who complain the 18MP sensor are soft at the per pixel level are not using a good enough lens.