Pioneer DVD that supports JPEG View

Status
Not open for further replies.

zOOm

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Pretty interesting. The DVD model is 366, cost $219.

I did a check at the website and it says it reads fuji or kodak photoCD.
Are there any consumer software that allows that??? or we have to go to authorized fuji or kodak photo shop to burn our photoCD?

The Philips 625K also reads native JPG files. But its a bit slow on loading the image.

I have the Pioneer DVD Player Model DV-400-S which has PhotoViewer that can view JEPG file directly. I have tried to play some of my 2.6 megapixel original shots and it appears on the TV slowly (abt 5 sec to load the full shot).

The best quality with fast loading is 1024 x 768 save in compression level 10.

Hey pit & megaweb,
Thanks for the feedback.

but what's the loading speed at 1024x768?
do u need specalized software or any CDR burner will do the job nicely?

thanks!

zOOm said:
Hey pit & megaweb,
Thanks for the feedback.

but what's the loading speed at 1024x768?
do u need specalized software or any CDR burner will do the job nicely?

thanks!

1024 x 768 saved in compression level 10 is like instant .. no delay :)

no need special software . just burn the images into the CD and the DVD player will auto run PhotoViewer and open the image

do you find that when you view the photos on TV, it loses a little of its sharpness? I noticed this while trying to render photos in imovie and most of the shots seems to lose their harpness in order to compensate for TV which has a lower resolution than monitors.

Firstly its because of the fear of loss of resolution that led me to create my photos as slideshows on DVD. If you have made them into VCD, the loss is obvious as VCD has less resolution except for SVCD. However it also depend on the software used for creating the VCD..FlipAlbum is simply yacky!

zOOm said:
Pretty interesting. The DVD model is 366, cost $219.

I did a check at the website and it says it reads fuji or kodak photoCD.
Are there any consumer software that allows that??? or we have to go to authorized fuji or kodak photo shop to burn our photoCD?

Hi zOOm,

I have an identical model (266) which is the same except for one function - the FL Dimmer. This function sets the intensity of the brightness for the LCD Display and that is about the only difference I could make of the two models, other than the SGD20 difference in price. :think:

As for the Photoviewer software, it took my CDR/CDRWs which I used to backup my digital shots with no problem. I have my pictures in folders (e.g. 2003_0101, my birthday, zoo20030102, etc.) and the files are randomly named (e.g. dscf2010.jpg, FFAA20334.jpg, etc.). No special structure to store the JPEGs in on the CDR/CDRWs...AFAIK ;p

For full rez pictures, they took longer to load... about more than 7 secs. For the resized or lower resolution ones, FAST. The slideshow mode is useful as well... :)

Oh... and do give the ZOOM (no punt intended!) function a try! It gives you up to 4x magnification on-screen!

The LCD dimmerused to be found in high end CD players and amplifiers. The frequency and intensity of the LCD quartz apparently interferes with the frequency of the laser (and something else) in the equipment and thus dimmers are used to lower the cross frequency (all these I learnt from what hi-fi! many moons ago...). I don't know what it does to DVD players but I think it might serve the same function... :think:

2 cents worth :D

petaflopz said:
Hi zOOm,

I have an identical model (266) which is the same except for one function - the FL Dimmer. This function sets the intensity of the brightness for the LCD Display and that is about the only difference I could make of the two models, other than the SGD20 difference in price. :think:

As for the Photoviewer software, it took my CDR/CDRWs which I used to backup my digital shots with no problem. I have my pictures in folders (e.g. 2003_0101, my birthday, zoo20030102, etc.) and the files are randomly named (e.g. dscf2010.jpg, FFAA20334.jpg, etc.). No special structure to store the JPEGs in on the CDR/CDRWs...AFAIK ;p

For full rez pictures, they took longer to load... about more than 7 secs. For the resized or lower resolution ones, FAST. The slideshow mode is useful as well... :)

Oh... and do give the ZOOM (no punt intended!) function a try! It gives you up to 4x magnification on-screen!

cafe vienna said:
The LCD dimmerused to be found in high end CD players and amplifiers. The frequency and intensity of the LCD quartz apparently interferes with the frequency of the laser (and something else) in the equipment and thus dimmers are used to lower the cross frequency (all these I learnt from what hi-fi! many moons ago...). I don't know what it does to DVD players but I think it might serve the same function... :think:

2 cents worth :D

point noted, I take your 2 cents then!! :bsmilie:

but then again, to a 'ngeow' person like me, the relative returns for the SGD20 investment just doesn't add up right... :) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:D well, depends lah... if you have a fantastic sound setup then maybe you can tell the difference... let me know too ok :)

SGD20 more is like getting the "upgrade" for free. Think of it as 2 times to the cinemas with transport cost :D

petaflopz said:
point noted, I take your 2 cents then!! :bsmilie:

but then again, to a 'ngeow' person like me, the relative returns for the SGD20 investment just doesn't add up right... :) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

cafe vienna said:
:D well, depends lah... if you have a fantastic sound setup then maybe you can tell the difference... let me know too ok :)

SGD20 more is like getting the "upgrade" for free. Think of it as 2 times to the cinemas with transport cost :D

SGD20 is more like hell if shopping with the missus...if you know what I mean... ;p

Thanks folks for all the response.
I think I gonna buy one for my parents so that I can share our photographs with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.