[pinholecam] The World of Warhammer

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I been a miniatures painter for as long as I can remember. Started with military models (esp. tanks), dabbled a bit with resin kits but disliked the many assembly touch ups needed for such expensive items (gorgeous models though). Finally I settled on wargaming, with its addictive combination of modeling, painting and gaming. Though the lack of time nowadays have meant that the painting and wargaming has stopped, I still look over the painted minis fondly.

High Elf General on horse back
The High Elves of Ulthuan are nearly immortal, and their Mages are among the best in the known world. Elf armies are generally small and although lightly armored their soldiers strike with inhuman dexterity and skill honed over centuries of training.

4662196318_d640912850_b.jpg

Last edited:
lovely! Am a warhammer buff (albeit only for wh40k) myself. Anywhere to get these pieces locally?

lovely! Am a warhammer buff (albeit only for wh40k) myself. Anywhere to get these pieces locally?

Thanks.
I have 40K stuff too (definitely love the fluff for 40k over fantasy), but my painting on them is :thumbsd:

You can get GW stuff from Comics Mart (if they are still around) or Paradigm Infinitium (PI for short; which is certainly alive and kicking). I always went to the latter. ;)
PI :http://www.pi.com.sg/site/index.php?
Nice selection of off-brand boardgames (yes, not Monopoly or Risk) as well since they are the distributors.

holy crap.. been a long time since I've seen another warhammer fan! I played lizzies myself. note the word played ;) and a little everything else, fantasy and 40k. I love gaunt's ghosts haha
yeah i think the only place to get them now would be PI.

should post some of my stuff sometime when I get the chance to go do some proper haha

High Elf Mage
4664714975_b5d6372de5_b.jpg

Those who follow the path of High Magic, or True Magic as it is sometimes called, are amongst the most skilled mages ever to weave a spell. The mages of Ulthuan see the Winds of Magic as a whole, and can easily thwart lesser Wizards who rely on single strands of the whole.

High Elf General on horse back looks fantastic!

nice bro..iam a warhammer buff too but more to the 40k....hope ppl will post the space marines

nice! why did you find the background for first pic? is it really the great wall?

holy crap.. been a long time since I've seen another warhammer fan! I played lizzies myself. note the word played ;) and a little everything else, fantasy and 40k. I love gaunt's ghosts haha
yeah i think the only place to get them now would be PI.

should post some of my stuff sometime when I get the chance to go do some proper haha

Ha.. ha.. your nik already reveal that you are a 40K fan :D

High Elf General on horse back looks fantastic!
Thanks.

nice! why did you find the background for first pic? is it really the great wall?
Thanks, bkgnd was an old photo of the Great Wall (Sima Tai IIRC). Took the photo around 8yrs ago when I went there.

CHAOS
From the far north come the legions of Chaos, led by mighty champions of the Dark Gods. Raised in battle, these great warriors fight for glory and the favour of their gods, seeking immortality and everlasting power.

Exalted Champion of Chaos
4666558704_1734f87543.jpg

The frozen north spawns the hardiest warriors of all, and those that lead them to battle are called the Champions of Chaos. Each is a paragon of deadly ability and lethal intent. Some ascend to command entire nations but the majority dedicate themselves to becoming ruthless killers, butchering all those who cross their path. Those so favored by the dark gods are gifted with hideous mutations in the likeness of their patron, so more to deliver more death and destruction in their name.

Last edited:
Chaos Sorcerer Lord
4667988444_7970c3b0aa_b.jpg

Of all the mortal warriors across the civilisation of the world, the Lords of Chaos are feared most of all, for they are true gods amongst men. Clad in baroque armour, they tower above even other Champions of Chaos, and those brave enough to stand against them are but feeble children by comparison. A Chaos Lord's indomitable will is forged in the fires of war, his skills tempered in the crucible of battle, and his blade eternally quenched in blood.

I like the way you process the colours and choose the background also ;)
Any particular settings you can share with us?

cool set, like the series. Nicely setup and well balance light fall on all those figures. good one.

I like the way you process the colours and choose the background also ;)
Any particular settings you can share with us?

cool set, like the series. Nicely setup and well balance light fall on all those figures. good one.

Thanks for the kind remarks.
My shots pale in comparison to the many nice toy threads posted in this sub-forum and always serve as an inspiration.

Color is straight off camera.

PP is the usual workflow : crop >levels > curves if needed >resize > 1pt sharpen if needed.

Bkgnd is from what I can get within reach of me in my room where I shoot. The main consideration would be that it has to match the character of the fantasy race I am doing. (Eg. Good guys on clean/bright fortifications; natural forests, etc; Bad guys on black )

Lighting is a mish-mash of strobes, table lamp and reflectors. Still learning and playing around with them. The difficulty is to control the lights since the models are small (28mm tall).
The High Elf ones take a well lit 'good guys' approach. Strobe w/ diffuser on top left, reflector placed rather near on the right. Bkgnd is lighted with table lamp.
Chaos takes a darker, moodier lighting with one table lamp to the right and no reflector to get more shadows. The sorcerer had the sword and green skull on the staff lighted with strobes placed to just skim over the items only.

Boy! I sure am running out of bkgnds and lighting ideas. :sweat:

Last edited:
continuing on the series....

Daemons of Chaos
The Daemons of Chaos are warlike fragments of divine will loosed upon the world. Blasphemous abominations drawing raw power from the Chaos Gods themselves, they are the ruination of civilization.

Daemon Prince of Chaos
4708481192_8d97eb03e6_b.jpg

Daemon Princes are the most deadly of all daemons. A daemon prince is a harbinger of bellowing death to an entire army of mortals, for it is destructive beyond telling, and lives only for the call to slaughter, maim and rend. It is the fury of war given form, unfettered primal rage manifest.

Last edited:
I was into BB, Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, Warhammer EPIC..

still have th figurines..don't know what to do with them..

hehehe..donno where to sell also..sigh..in cold storage now..

this thread really brings back memories..all those days and nights painting, setting them up, throw dices..and alot of shouting and screaming..:bsmilie:

esp when yr vortex grenade lands right in the middle of those cowering Ultramarines!! :devil:

I was into BB, Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, Warhammer EPIC..

still have th figurines..don't know what to do with them..

hehehe..donno where to sell also..sigh..in cold storage now..

this thread really brings back memories..all those days and nights painting, setting them up, throw dices..and alot of shouting and screaming..:bsmilie:

esp when yr vortex grenade lands right in the middle of those cowering Ultramarines!! :devil:

Ha ha.. most of us were into more than one of the games.
I've a lot left unpainted, but I look up to the day I have more time on my hands to paint them (in like 40yrs time when I am an old man:D )

Hmm.. vortex grenades... you must be quite an old player. They stopped those since 3rd Ed.

Ha ha.. most of us were into more than one of the games.
I've a lot left unpainted, but I look up to the day I have more time on my hands to paint them (in like 40yrs time when I am an old man:D )

Hmm.. vortex grenades... you must be quite an old player. They stopped those since 3rd Ed.

I this have a lot of these figures also unpainted .. some from Ral Partha .. stopped painting them for almost 20 years .. now I'm in my forties ..eye sight not as good when young .. finding it a chore to paint. :cry: :bsmilie:

Btw.. great shots .. very well painted figures .. especially the eyes :)

Cheers.

Very nice pics, sharp & vibrant colors. :heart:
Your control of lightings/shadows is good too. :thumbsup:

Lighting is a mish-mash of strobes, table lamp and reflectors. Still learning and playing around with them. The difficulty is to control the lights since the models are small (28mm tall).
The High Elf ones take a well lit 'good guys' approach. Strobe w/ diffuser on top left, reflector placed rather near on the right. Bkgnd is lighted with table lamp.
Chaos takes a darker, moodier lighting with one table lamp to the right and no reflector to get more shadows. The sorcerer had the sword and green skull on the staff lighted with strobes placed to just skim over the items only.

Boy! I sure am running out of bkgnds and lighting ideas. :sweat:

Good job with the lighting with regards to the size of these miniatures. Doesn't look like there's much room to play with.