[pinholecam] From Alps to Ocean - A bicycle/photo log

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
[pinholecam] From Alps to Ocean - A bicycle/photo log

Its interesting to me that it took me so long to get this trip going.
In a way, it took decades.
The accumulation of my interests from a young schoolboy who liked camping back in the day when Ubin was still unpaved to cycling for triathlons later as a younger man, and with photography slotted somewhere in the middle of this.

So since 2 years back, I decided to put them together and do some tours by bike.
Got me a foldable to make it simpler to do multi-modal travel and headed out to Perth on the first trip
That trip here : https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/going-solo-a-week-of-cycle-touring-in-perth.1644561/

So having read about the Alps to Ocean trail in New Zealand, I decided to give this a try.

Church of the Good Shepard
by jenkwang, on Flickr

The K1 astro tracer proved to be very useful in this situation being able to let the FA31ltd I was using to go over the '500' rule and expose the sky for 40s at ISO3200, f2.8.
If going by the '500' rule, it would have been only 16s and I'd have had to use high iso and a larger aperture.

Super cold and windy night when I ventured out to shoot this.
I had to do a lot of moving around to keep myself from freezing.
Between 8pm-10.30pm, there are lots of tourists coming to shoot the church with their phones, light interference from car headlamps will be common until about 10.30pm.
There is a wooden gate erected at the entrance now, but its still possible to just clamber over the low escarpment. (which all the more serious photographer do.
The reason is that the milky way is at the back of the church, not the front, so those going pls take note. (and refer to photos on flickr, etc)

Last edited:
Beautiful shots!

Chasing the bird
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax K1+Samyang 14/2.8

Another Hagley Park shot.
A short half day in Christchurch till the coach ride the next morning to Lake Tekapo where I would start the bike ride.

Clouds over Church of the Good Shepard
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax K1+Samyang 14/2.8

As usual for such places, there are many tourists here.
They come in waves so there will be some opportunity to snap a few shots that have less/no people, but that does mean hanging around awhile.
I had to layer a few shots here to remove all the people, but thats one of the reasons we use a DSLR and tripod... ;)

In hindsight, I think its probably better to come later nearer sunset and sunrise.
Less people and maybe better light (depending on the weather of course).

Clouds over Church of the Good Shepard
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax K1+Samyang 14/2.8

As usual for such places, there are many tourists here.
They come in waves so there will be some opportunity to snap a few shots that have less/no people, but that does mean hanging around awhile.
I had to layer a few shots here to remove all the people, but thats one of the reasons we use a DSLR and tripod... ;)

In hindsight, I think its probably better to come later nearer sunset and sunrise.
Less people and maybe better light (depending on the weather of course).
Power shotzzz....

20180408-IMGP0836
by jenkwang, on Flickr
A window with a view
Pentax Q7+06 zoom (70-200mm equivalent)

For those wondering whats in the Church. :)
Photography is not allowed inside, but it was rather easy just using the Q7 with the 70-200mm equivalent of the 06 zoom from the outside to get this shot.

The Q series has been a versatile cycle tour camera.
I see folks using the phone, or small compacts, but the Q7 is just a much bigger step out to them.
Wide lenses, fun fisheye (of as a UWA), long lens all in a small package which is very important for a cycle tourist.
I also did not have any long lens that a 135mm for my DSLR travel kit, so the 70-200mm equivalent on the Q7 complimented well.
Any longer lens always have questionable usage levels for a lot of weight in the context of travel photography.
In fact, my 135mm was a 77mm prime and a 1.7x teleconverter to save on space/weight. :)

Another distant shot.

20180408-IMGP0845-1
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax Q7+06 zoom

20180410-IMGP0944
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax Q7+02 zoom

Slept for the night and it was still raining outside, and woke to find that it had snowed.
Quite unexpected in the first month of Autumn.
I wondered if my clothing would be adequate to keep off the elements and if the trails would be close because of snow (the trail closes in winter because of this).
Checked with the information desk in town that there was no trail closure and pressed on, with some paper shoved into my very airy running shoe to protect from the cold.

I had to take some of these "selfies" despite them taking up quite a bit of time and I'm typically not into taking my own picts. :D
But its really quite a ride/experience and I'd also like to take one of those cycle tour shots that I see on cycling magazines.

Reactions: PhilipKr35

20180408-IMGP4387-Star_Trails
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax K1+FA31ltd

The front of the church will usually have quite a bit of interference from mostly tourists trying to take astro shots of it (often w/o the proper equipment).
Light pollution will be a problem with lights from car headlamps, other folks doing light painting, etc.

After a few tries, I managed to get one that was ok, so i stopped there.

Going after 10.30pm or in the very early AM would be good work arounds.

20180410-IMGP4492_2400
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Ohau River (Pentax K1+FA31ltd Haida 10stop ND)

Its interesting for a city person like me to find that out in the vast outdoors, the UWA takes a backseat and the wide like the FA31ltd becomes the most often used focal length in my bag.
The perspective push back is much less and not necessary since the elements in the background are often so far away.

Passed by the Ohau River and made a quick stop to grab a few shots.
The place is so big that its probably worth exploring the river itself for some hours, but a week is all I got in this beautiful country, so just took a few shots and moved on.

20180410-IMGP0934
by jenkwang, on Flickr
Riding on (Lake Ohau) ; Pentax Q7+02 zoom

There is certainly a sense of closeness to the environment (and the elements) with cycle touring.
The closer proximity to the terrain itself, the cool cold air on the face, the ability to control the pace that I am going at to take it all in.

A small camera like the Q7 I am carrying comes in handy for taking some record of the ride.
In previous rides, I used the common 12s timer, which was quite a time consuming effort, requiring quite a few retakes to get into the frame.
Some shots would even be too hard to get into place within 12s.
But I have found that using interval mode is the best method that works for me, and thankfully, the camera has such a mode.

20180410-IMGP4481-1
by jenkwang, on Flickr

20180410-IMGP4507-1
by jenkwang, on Flickr
"Solitude" Pentax K1+FA31ltd

The weather for this day varied every 20 minutes or so.
Sunny, Cloudy, Snow...repeat

Just at this spot, by the time I finished taking this moody version of the shot, the Sun shone thru with another sunny version of it.

Its this sort of journey that I find there is that solitude that really connects me with the environment.
No one around, just the sky, the cold stillness and the lonely mountain.