Pierce Resevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

jctay

Jan 8, 2010
DSC_000516.JPG

Dear fellow members,

I have been toying camera for the last one year. Recently, I started to get more serious with photography. This is my first post for critique. All C&Cs are very welcome.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
All area, especially composition and how to shoot such pictures sharper.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to learn how to take better landscape photo.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The picture was taken in late afternoon when heavy rain was approaching. Setting on my camera: ISO200, 22mm, 1/100s & F13.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think the composition should be fine but the picture lacks 'life'.

Last edited:
my rule of thumb is, if there is no good light, and you try your luck by going to the location; if there is no good light, there is no good light.

i would not shoot in such a lighting. maybe i might try not to waste the trip by doing something in bnw, but certainly not in colour. especially not with the composition and subjects chosen here.

your horizon line isn't straight, boat would be nice from another angle... its in the corner just a bit too much not quite enough space from the edges, try follow the golden ratio to place it.

like nightmare said... the light wasnt great.. looks like its about to rain so the skys not too great, however i think maybe you could have tried to underexpose a bit and go for some dramatic clouds over the landscape.

my rule of thumb is, if there is no good light, and you try your luck by going to the location; if there is no good light, there is no good light.

i would not shoot in such a lighting. maybe i might try not to waste the trip by doing something in bnw, but certainly not in colour. especially not with the composition and subjects chosen here.

Thanks Senior Night86mare.

I will consider shooting in B+W next time when the light is not favourable. That's a very good advice.

Do you recommend shooting landscape in bright afternoon?

With bright light, I assume photo sharpness will improve. Right?

your horizon line isn't straight, boat would be nice from another angle... its in the corner just a bit too much not quite enough space from the edges, try follow the golden ratio to place it.

like nightmare said... the light wasnt great.. looks like its about to rain so the skys not too great, however i think maybe you could have tried to underexpose a bit and go for some dramatic clouds over the landscape.

Thanks Senior RGY1993.

I will take more notice of the horizon line and golden ratio placement.

I did consider underexpose a bit but thought that might make the photo too dark. When I next face such conditions, I will take one more picture underexpose anyway.

the idea is there but the framing is kind of weird.

bad lighting to some extend can be corrected by post processing..

1263707735526a762ff1.jpg
[/IMG]

Can't really fix the framing though.. the boat is the main subject but it is located too near the edge..

the idea is there but the framing is kind of weird.

bad lighting to some extend can be corrected by post processing..

1263707735526a762ff1.jpg
[/IMG]

Can't really fix the framing though.. the boat is the main subject but it is located too near the edge..

eh.. no offence but you made it worse haha

the sky is completely blown out now.. ;p

eh.. no offence but you made it worse haha

the sky is completely blown out now.. ;p

paiseh la... my pp skill is noob noob one :confused:

Hi weikiat, thanks for attempting to fix the picture. I think the composition has improved.

Hi rgy1993, do you think the composition has improved?

not really honestly...

the boat is there but its from the wrong angle, too high imho.
i get what your trying to go for but you need to get lower, give it an interesting perspective..

personally i would just chop off the boat, crop it pano style and head for dramatic skies:

DSC_000516.jpg

mind the pixelation... small image of the net you can only do so much haha

if you dont like me using your image here please let me know and ill get rid of it...

cheers!

not really honestly...

i get what your trying to go for but you need to get lower, give it an interesting perspective..

personally i would just chop off the boat, crop it pano style and head for dramatic skies:

DSC_000516.jpg

if you dont like me using your image here please let me know and ill get rid of it...

cheers!

But i feel that if crop out the boat, there is no point of interest? Do something to the contrast and editing sky colour will help? :)

not really honestly...

DSC_000516.jpg

cheers!
No, I don't mind you using the image here. Your version brought out another flavour of the picture.
In your opinion, what would be an appropriate angle?

TS - the same picture could be taken with a sunset/sunrise and without the boat. the yellow is pretty distracting.

avoid placing horizon at 50%, rule of third remember? and its a bit unbalance.. no interest on cloud area and sea area. work on the foreground interest (the boat). take note on WB. colour look plain. i guess u shoot it handheld that's y not sharp?

tripod, cable release, mirror lockup, secure neck strap, f16 to f22, use lowest ISO that it dosen't require long exposure unless u doing creative shots like silky effect for water, shoot RAW or NEF, shoot at magic hour, invest in filters, finally see more good photos. there are many great books in library and very inspiring.

The picture was taken in late afternoon when heavy rain was approaching. Setting on my camera: ISO200, 22mm, 1/100s & F13.

Below is my humble edit....
DSC_000516.jpg

Last edited:
TS - the same picture could be taken with a sunset/sunrise and without the boat. the yellow is pretty distracting.

It was bright and sunny when I left home for the place. Unfortunately, the dark cloud arrived at the place at the same time with me. Such is life.

avoid placing horizon at 50%, rule of third remember? and its a bit unbalance.. no interest on cloud area and sea area. work on the foreground interest (the boat). take note on WB. colour look plain. i guess u shoot it handheld that's y not sharp?

tripod, cable release, mirror lockup, secure neck strap, f16 to f22, use lowest ISO that it dosen't require long exposure unless u doing creative shots like silky effect for water, shoot RAW or NEF, shoot at magic hour, invest in filters, finally see more good photos. there are many great books in library and very inspiring.

Below is my humble edit....
DSC_000516.jpg

Thanks for the tips and nice touch to the picture.

I took it handheld as I thought 1/100s was fast enough.

Hi. Thanks for sharing.

Apart from the comments above on lighting, composition etc, I'd just like to add that it may a good idea for you to shoot the scene from various angles. Try going low, try another perspective...whatever...shoot until your heart's content. Then bring back all your shots and look at what works and what doesn't.

Since you're new in this, I think you may benefit from getting the basics and technicalities right first, and that means reading, studying and trying.

Good luck!

your exposure metering........ I am guessisng how the pic came out it was general evaluative ?

you MUST make decisions on this and not rely on lazy modes like general evaluative and choose the right areas to take a meter reading

there are a few images in the original image posted that you can and should try if you have the op again

p/s a CPL in this situation would help greatly in bringing out the contrasty clouds

Last edited:
Agree absolutely. You cannot control the lighting. You just have to find ways to seach for an "adjective" to describe your photo. Shooting at various angles is one sure way. BW is another. Going on zoom and macro gives you all sorts of discovery. Make sure you have enough battery to do all these experiments. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.