Piegons "Kissing"

thejoggingmat

Deregistered
Jan 5, 2011
60mg6219.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-Composition
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-A (so-called) "timeless" (Correct me if I'm wrong...) pic
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-While I was doing some bird-spotting in my neighbourhood
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-An average pic; the bricks are distracting... ...

Last edited:
First, please spell the object/bird name correctly.
Composition, I suggest a tighter crop to zoom in on the 2 pigeons. Unfortunately, one of the pigeon face is blocked, if you can capture the moment showing both pigeons face will be better. DOF and exposure are ok.

Last edited:
First, please spell the object/bird name correctly.
Composition, I suggest a tighter crop to zoom in on the 2 pigeons. Unfortunately, one of the pigeon face is blocked, if you can capture the moment showing both pigeons face will be better. DOF and exposure are ok.
Title edited...

I haven't done any PP or cropping yet, currently doing it now... will update the pic later.
It will be nice if I can move to a different position, though they may not be "kissing" anymore if I were to reach the position. So it's kinda more like a snapshot... :confused:

Last edited:
IMHO: I think it is fine to have one of the faces covered. It looks like a more passionate kiss this way. :) I agree on the need to have a tighter crop as the surrounding do not improve the photo. Lastly need to sharpen image.

To improve composition : Have subject to fill your frame. You would need a very good telephoto lens !! Filling your frame with your point of interest (subject) will not only eliminate background distractions, it will also have a more intimate and significant impact on the overall results of your photograph.

wow......seems that pigeons kiss alot... i had a similar shot in London 3 years back. As these moments are hard to anticipate, the distracting foreground and background can't be helped I guess.

To improve the photo, as mentioned by CSers above, a longer telephoto lens will be better to fill up the frame, don't thinking cropping the photo will help much.

Perhaps you can try brightening the image in PS as well as the pigeons look really dark and lack details.

here's mine, linked from FB just for reference (so pardon the poor web quality) ....if you don't like it i can remove the image, just pm me.

n747685742_1976241_3343.jpg

wow......seems that pigeons kiss alot... i had a similar shot in London 3 years back. As these moments are hard to anticipate, the distracting foreground and background can't be helped I guess.

To improve the photo, as mentioned by CSers above, a longer telephoto lens will be better to fill up the frame, don't thinking cropping the photo will help much.

Perhaps you can try brightening the image in PS as well as the pigeons look really dark and lack details.

here's mine, linked from FB just for reference (so pardon the poor web quality) ....if you don't like it i can remove the image, just pm me.

+1,:thumbsup: .Certainly this is one is more appealing...

not a bad attempt.

i agree with the rests - a tighter crop will be nicer otherwise it would be lost in the background. i would crop more of the roof away. the shadow lines are distracting.

also the birds are underexposed.

Wow... :eek:

To improve composition : Have subject to fill your frame. You would need a very good telephoto lens !! Filling your frame with your point of interest (subject) will not only eliminate background distractions, it will also have a more intimate and significant impact on the overall results of your photograph.
TBH, I was already using a BIIIIGGGG :eek: telephoto... My very rich friend just got the 600mm Canon lens that he ordered a few months back... It's a nice lens... Though the birds were 3 blocks away.

TBH, I was already using a BIIIIGGGG :eek: telephoto... My very rich friend just got the 600mm Canon lens that he ordered a few months back... It's a nice lens... Though the birds were 3 blocks away.

600mm Wow!
Did you use a tripod and camera to "machine-gun" setting

600mm Wow!
Did you use a tripod and camera to "machine-gun" setting
LOL... No "Machine-gun" setting... Just AV mode, shooting at wide-open, and pure luck...

LOL... No "Machine-gun" setting... Just AV mode, shooting at wide-open, and pure luck...

just to OT a little.. i used to have a battery powered M4A1 Carbine which i used to shoot pigeons off the ledge near my house windows :bsmilie:

just to OT a little.. i used to have a battery powered M4A1 Carbine which i used to shoot pigeons off the ledge near my house windows :bsmilie:
What happened to those pigeons?

If I still have time after capturing this shot, I will move my cam/body to the left... placing the left bird on brighter background.

And, you should do proper editing (e.g cropping) first before sharing ma ~ then we will appreciate more of your works :)

If I still have time after capturing this shot, I will move my cam/body to the left... placing the left bird on brighter background.

And, you should do proper editing (e.g cropping) first before sharing ma ~ then we will appreciate more of your works :)
I will post the croppped pic tonite... though moving the camera/ RPG to another position is as easy as doing parallel parking without prior training :(...

wow....600mm! perhaps you should be aiming at subjects 2 blocks away instead of the pigeons 3 blocks away then :p The lens is definitely long enough, just that your subjects are too small and out of the range still

wow....600mm! perhaps you should be aiming at subjects 2 blocks away instead of the pigeons 3 blocks away then :p The lens is definitely long enough, just that your subjects are too small and out of the range still
But I doubt I have the psychic skills to cmmand th pigeons to come closer & kiss. If only I could... :think: