Pictures taken vs LiveView image

Status
Not open for further replies.

andeelym

Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

Not so sure how to title this thread properly.

I recently faced a problem when trying to take the picture of the moon with my cam. I use LiveView x10 to focus manually and when i snap the pic, the sharpness and amount of detail i see in the LiveView cannot be reproduced in the picture, I have tried different shutter speeds and ISOs but no help.

The funny thing is that if I can see from the LiveView, means that the lens attached is capable of producing the sharpness and detail. But the results from the image playback function differs. I use the max zoom-in with the image review screen vs LiveView as a comparison.

Anyone facing the same problem? Is there an explanation?

My setup is 5D MkII with 70-300 Nikon lens thru an F to EF mount adapter. The aperture is controlled vis the lens. Only shutterspeed and ISO available on the camera.

Possible camera shake? Are you using a cable or timer?

Using Infra-remote, I usually wait for 5 secs before pressing the remote for the vibration/shakes to settle.

Its not image-shake, its still sharp, just that the details and the dynamic range is not there, even though it can be seen in LiveView.

I know what you mean and I see the same thing, in the LCD with magnification on, you can see the surface clearly as the moon moves but once taken, you can hardly do any zoom.

If you are refering to sharpness, your shutter must be at least 1/160 or faster. F11 max. Remove any filter.

As for the LCD thing, I don't know why. Perhaps it is the color that makes it realistic.

I know what you mean and I see the same thing, in the LCD with magnification on, you can see the surface clearly as the moon moves but once taken, you can hardly do any zoom.

If you are refering to sharpness, your shutter must be at least 1/160 or faster. F11 max. Remove any filter.

As for the LCD thing, I don't know why. Perhaps it is the color that makes it realistic.
I can even see parts that are in the dark, particularly when its not a full moon. I can make out details in the parts where the darkness meets the surface of the moon but when its taken that part is not as clear as I've seen on the LiveView. Its hard for me to show it cos I'll need another camera to take the LiveView.

I already shooting faster than 1/160 most of the time and no filters. Come to think of it, maybe its the brightness of the screen that makes its stand out. Perhaps I'll try to up the brightness of the taken pic.

Anyone else any ideas?

How long is your shutter speed? I guess maybe slightly longer shutter speed, the noise might have crept in or the moon might have moved even that tiny bit? Just giving possible reasons.

Do you have exposure simulation on in Live-View? If its not enabled, where ever you magnify using Live-View, the cam automatically corrects for the exposure so that you can see the details and focus correctly, for example zooming in to the darker parts automatically dials up the exposure for you to view.. However the exposure you see in that magnified view doesn't correspond to the actual exposure captured..

How long is your shutter speed? I guess maybe slightly longer shutter speed, the noise might have crept in or the moon might have moved even that tiny bit? Just giving possible reasons.

Shutter speed depends on the state of the moon. Almost full moon shots, I am using 1/200 so movement is out, ISO is 50 so noise is out too.

Do you have exposure simulation on in Live-View? If its not enabled, where ever you magnify using Live-View, the cam automatically corrects for the exposure so that you can see the details and focus correctly, for example zooming in to the darker parts automatically dials up the exposure for you to view.. However the exposure you see in that magnified view doesn't correspond to the actual exposure captured..

Yes, i am using exposure simulation. That is the only mode I can use to see the moon in, others will result in a bright ball of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.