Pictures shot in raw vs. Jpg

Tigerbear

Jan 22, 2011
We shoot in raw so that the photo can be adjusted . However when I used to shoot in jpg, I can still use Photoshop to adjust. So what exactly are the differences in terms of what can be adjusted and what not between the pictures shot raw n jpg?
I am a beginner, should I just shoot in jpg? Thanks .

frankly, a web search or a visit to the library can answer your questions.

In short, Raw offers the most options especially when need to repair photos. Just that if you took 500+ photos and have a 3 day deadline to process and deliver them, thats when to use jpeg.

eg, http://photo.net/learn/raw

Hopefully in future cameras will have .tiff support.

In Jpeg format, the repeated compressing and decompressing of the file will result in progressive lost of image quality.

We shoot in raw so that the photo can be adjusted . However when I used to shoot in jpg, I can still use Photoshop to adjust. So what exactly are the differences in terms of what can be adjusted and what not between the pictures shot raw n jpg?
I am a beginner, should I just shoot in jpg? Thanks .

You will lose even more details, as JPEG is already compressed. You can't tweak whitebelence, etc.

There's quite a few things, but since we've had about 20 "raw vs JPG" threads so far, it would be better for you to just try a search and read through those.

RAW gives you more headroom to edit in terms of exposure and white balance. JPEG compression takes away some of the highlight and shadow details, so you can't recover them as well as if you shoot RAW.

Just shoot in RAW unless you have to rush for a deadline or if you don't have enough space on your card to do it.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will shoot in raw to do it properly .
And sorry I didn't search on previous threads before I posted ..

Thanks all for the advice. I think I will shoot in raw to do it properly .
And sorry I didn't search on previous threads before I posted ..

You may also want to consider the option of shooting "RAW + JPEG" option. In this option, you can keep the JPEG if it looks decent enough. If the picture needs any amendments I would suggest it be made on the RAW then save to JPEG.

But this will take up more space then RAW only.

You may also want to consider the option of shooting "RAW + JPEG" option. In this option, you can keep the JPEG if it looks decent enough. If the picture needs any amendments I would suggest it be made on the RAW then save to JPEG.

But this will take up more space then RAW only.

If I wanted to do RAW+JPEG, I rather convert to JPEG in the computer, rather than waste space in the SD card. It's simple to just export everything from lightroom without any adjustments (or if you want you can apply the picture controls through lightroom by using camera profile), or just create a photoshop action to do it.

The only logical thing for RAW+JPEG is when you shoot with 2 cards, and your main card has all the RAWs, then the second card has the JPEGs which you use for backup. Or if you shoot weddings and like to do some on the spot photo presentation thing then the second card contains the JPEGs that you just put up as slideshow, then main card has RAW which you take home to edit.

shoot RAW because it gives you more headroom to play with. ie, white balance which i feel is very important.

you will be surprised, how much blown details you can recover from the photos when you shoot RAW.

since i changed to dslr, i have been shooting raw :p

however due to the space limitation, i shoot sometimes in sraw instead. conversion to jpeg all done using com... love the adjustment of WB on my com and it did help in processing of colours and exposures as well.

I tried out my new 550d n lenses at the park today and i shoot in raw :)

I tried out my new 550d n lenses at the park today and i shoot in raw :)

Then your next topic will be: "RAW processing and colour managed workflow" ... have a good look into Digital Darkroom.

Then your next topic will be: "RAW processing and colour managed workflow" ... have a good look into Digital Darkroom.

Just imported all the pic from my cam to my notebook, Already feel very excited just by looking at the raw files...;)

Just imported all the pic from my cam to my notebook, Already feel very excited just by looking at the raw files...;)

Really? Usually RAW files look much more dull than JPGs, because JPGs processed from cameras usually have some contrast and sharpness added to them.

Really? Usually RAW files look much more dull than JPGs, because JPGs processed from cameras usually have some contrast and sharpness added to them.

feeling excited because they are the very first batch off photos i shoot with my new DSRL.......;p

feeling excited because they are the very first batch off photos i shoot with my new DSRL.......;p

I can somehow understand the excitement....as I've only started to shoot raw recently.

But frankly speaking, at first sight, I thought "20mb to capture a dull picture?" But the moment I loaded it into LR, I realized it allows me to make much more adjustments at minimal loss of details than a JPEG could.

Happy Editing!

i like it RAW?

it's so much better than the rest... because it allows for more feeling to be put in...

I m starting to learn how to edit my raw shots..my Photoshop is old version SMS it doesn't read raw and I don't have lightroom. I think I will probably use the software that came along with the 550D

I was trying to shoot a flower yesterdsy and i tried to do a bokeh but I think I set a too wide aperture and maybe I was too close to the flower as well, I could not get the whole of the flower in focus..then I read from the web that aperture should be set to something like F7-8 to close down the light. Well I used f2 yesterday... :S