Picture quality

Minovo

Mar 24, 2011
Im currently using a nikon D7000 camera.

I have a problem here: The photo on the dslr monitor does not reflect exactly on the computer screen. I was quite puzzled about the reason why it became like this and i have to readjust the white balance and all those to make them look similar to the monitor.

Has anyone have an idea why it is like this and a way to change this because i dont want to readjust every photo i took just to make them look exactly like what i saw in the dslr.

Thanks alot for replying.

Welcome to Clubsnap

Image previewed on the DSLR LCD display, is only for general viewing purpose and general judgment purposes. With the exception of the histogram displayed on the , it is wise not to rely completely on the DSLR LCD display for final judgment of the picture.

For computer screen, it is best to operate from a calibrated monitor screen. Make your final judgment on a calibrated monitor.

You may also catch on past postings and responses on similar topic of "DSLR LCD image vs computer screen image" :)

You cannot expect 2 different displays to reproduce the exact same image, unless they have been calibrated to the same standard.
Am I right to say that?

It would be possible to calibrate your PC monitor using a calibration device like a Spyder3Express.
Then adjust your camera's LCD brightness till you get something as close as possible. Not too practical to calibrate your DSLR's LCD display, if it can even be done :)

By any chance, are you shooting in raw? If you are, Not sure if it applies here....(at least for Canon XXXD series) When shooting in Raw, your camera will actually show a "jpeg" image on the Camera LCD rather than the actual Raw (this is regardless you are shooting RAW Only or Raw + JPEG). This jpeg that is displayed will be affected by the picture styles and white balancing selection.

So when you read the RAW file on a Computer using Lightroom or Photoshop, these styles are not applied on the RAW. Probably this explains why the images are different.

If you don't want to be adjusting every photo, you can consider shooting in RAW + JPEG, so when the image looks cool on the LCD, you can keep the JPEG, else you can use the RAW to do your PP. But shooting in both formats eats alot of memory space.

By any chance, are you shooting in raw? If you are, Not sure if it applies here....(at least for Canon XXXD series) When shooting in Raw, your camera will actually show a "jpeg" image on the Camera LCD rather than the actual Raw (this is regardless you are shooting RAW Only or Raw + JPEG). This jpeg that is displayed will be affected by the picture styles and white balancing selection.

So when you read the RAW file on a Computer using Lightroom or Photoshop, these styles are not applied on the RAW. Probably this explains why the images are different.

If you don't want to be adjusting every photo, you can consider shooting in RAW + JPEG, so when the image looks cool on the LCD, you can keep the JPEG, else you can use the RAW to do your PP. But shooting in both formats eats alot of memory space.

Yeah, i think this is what happen for my D7000 also.
The LCD looks nice on dslr.
But when i import the raw files to lightroom, they seem dull.

the camera LCD can be deceiving. This is especially for the newer models, where the LCD makes the photos look fantastic. This to to give a false impression that the camera is fantastic. For example, The LCD of the Canon 60D shows photos that are better than the photos on the 5D mark II's LCD

the camera LCD can be deceiving. This is especially for the newer models, where the LCD makes the photos look fantastic. This to to give a false impression that the camera is fantastic. For example, The LCD of the Canon 60D shows photos that are better than the photos on the 5D mark II's LCD

Erm....it's actually not a false impression if you are shooting JPEGs.

Erm....it's actually not a false impression if you are shooting JPEGs.
whatever photos, good or bad, it will look very nice on tiny winy monitor.

so if looks bad on camera monitor, it will be even worst when it is on a large screen.

Im currently using a nikon D7000 camera.

I have a problem here: The photo on the dslr monitor does not reflect exactly on the computer screen. I was quite puzzled about the reason why it became like this and i have to readjust the white balance and all those to make them look similar to the monitor.

Has anyone have an idea why it is like this and a way to change this because i dont want to readjust every photo i took just to make them look exactly like what i saw in the dslr.

Thanks alot for replying.
your goal is to make your photos look good on a actual calibrated monitor.

the camera monitor is only for your viewing reference, if your photos only look good in your camera monitor, but will not look good in everybody's computer screen, what is the point?

anyway, if you shoot thousands and thousands of photos, you will able to gauge how your photos will turn out by the look at it on the camera monitor. So I don't adjust my camera monitor.

hope this help.

If I have the time between shots I'll actually zoom in all the way on the photo to check sharpness or if it's blurred due to shaky hands or things like that..LCD is definitely deceiving on the 50D!

Yes i got the exact same thing as that. All my RAW photos just darken, as a whole. But on the other hand, JPEG files seems fine, just with either blown off highlights or really blacken out shades. Details and sharpness cant be seen even after edit.

If I have the time between shots I'll actually zoom in all the way on the photo to check sharpness or if it's blurred due to shaky hands or things like that..LCD is definitely deceiving on the 50D!

Yes i got the exact same thing as that. All my RAW photos just darken, as a whole. But on the other hand, JPEG files seems fine, just with either blown off highlights or really blacken out shades. Details and sharpness cant be seen even after edit.

Just note that RAW files are unprocessed files. JPEG in your camera goes through processing according to your in-camera picture styles settings. That is why you see that RAW files are dull prior to PP.