Picture Privacy.

AxeLa

I have posted a random picture taken while riding in a MRT. It was a picture of 3 ladies busy with their hanphones, with the caption " 1st time ride in MRT and I have a good view!" someone in public email my company regarding the picture, saying no privacy and complaint. I was being call up and asked to delete. Is it really illegal to post pictures taken on MRT to social media? Any info on this? Thanks!

I have posted a random picture taken while riding in a MRT. It was a picture of 3 ladies busy with their hanphones, with the caption " 1st time ride in MRT and I have a good view!" someone in public email my company regarding the picture, saying no privacy and complaint. I was being call up and asked to delete. Is it really illegal to post pictures taken on MRT to social media? Any info on this? Thanks!

In Singapore's legal context there are no laws pertaining to personal privacy. The public should understand the PDPA ( personal data protection act ) is mainly for organisations and it's employees with collection of data of which a person's photo or likeness is considered or defined as data.

As far as your case is concerned if you were collecting data on behalf of your company then an obligation to obtain consent is required but under the exceptions provided by PDPA consent is not required if it is collected in public areas or places where there is easy access or less or no restriction to general public.
There is another exception if data collected in private or domestic capacity such as by yourself which does not need consent.

If uploaded on social media then the privacy policy of the platform should also be taken into account.
PDPA expects organisations to excercise descretion and goodwill on such matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: AxeLa
Since this is a legal topic and demands are already made I would strongly suggest that you take the time and money and consult a lawyer.
Asking in a forum is simply not useful. Statements here are just personal opinions and will never hold any water in a legal proceeding.

Reactions: Edwin Francis