Picture got cut out when developing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLee

Nov 5, 2005
Hi all,
I have sent a roll of film for developing. When i recieved the picture back, I got a shock,:eek::bigeyes::eek: as my pictures are cut on the right, left, top and bottom, all at different magnitude, is like my picture has been cropped.:sweat:

I went back to the shop to make noise, and the answer i got is "no choice one, there is no way for us to get the entire picture print out, the machine will always have to cut a bit one". This sounds ridiculous to me.

Want to ask all expert here regarding this. Is this really true??:dunno:

Very unethical reply they gave you.

So far, none of the labs i went to has done that.

Do not visit them in future.

There're many responsible labs around which i believe the CSers here will recommend.

For example:

Grace (Sunset way), Kex (Bedok), Miao Lann (Bukit Batok) and Owen (Meidi-Ya Supermart, River Valley).

Make sure you crop/resize your photos to 4 inch by 6 inch and 300 dpi for 4R sizes when you send for printing... else usually the top and bottom portion will be cropped. A guy at TripleD explain to me one... nice fella...

I do my prints at Colour Lab, Adelphi as well... excellent quality! :thumbsup:

yehosaphat said:
Make sure you crop/resize your photos to 4 inch by 6 inch and 300 dpi for 4R sizes when you send for printing... else usually the top and bottom portion will be cropped. A guy at TripleD explain to me one... nice fella...

I do my prints at Colour Lab, Adelphi as well... excellent quality! :thumbsup:

err..i believe he said he sent in a roll of film. hehe.

Strange that it could happen to a roll of film. For some digicam photos, the aspect ratio is 1.3, hence different from the standard 1.5 (eg 4x6 for 4R), hence there would be some cropping on the long edge. A photoshop staff was kind enough to explain that to me.

The explaination of the shop was unacceptable, maybe you can show us how much was cut off?

SLee said:
Hi all,
I have sent a roll of film for developing. When i recieved the picture back, I got a shock,as my pictures are cut on the right, left, top and bottom, all at different magnitude, is like my picture has been cropped.

I went back to the shop to make noise, and the answer i got is "no choice one, there is no way for us to get the entire picture print out, the machine will always have to cut a bit one". This sounds ridiculous to me.

that is the crappiest BS 'excuse' (from the shop) i've heard!! :nono:

this has happened to me twice at different commercial labs - 1 in basement of Lucky Plaza, and more recently, 1 in the basement of Excelsior Hotel. thing is, no matter whether they apologise or not, or whether they even 'refund', negative is already spoilt. :flush:

This type of situation, what you should do is just walk away and say you're not paying for them :)

SLee said:
Hi all,
I have sent a roll of film for developing. When i recieved the picture back, I got a shock,:eek::bigeyes::eek: as my pictures are cut on the right, left, top and bottom, all at different magnitude, is like my picture has been cropped.:sweat:

First, what film format did you use and what size did you print?
Second, did the "crop away" area show on the neg?
Third, how much area being crop off, if it is a 4R print, roughtly how many mm of images being crop off?

Lastly, if you want 100% from the neg if you go for machine print is not possible, unless you ask them to print 4R image on 5R paper, or you can go for custom print, tell them print it without cropping.

Hope this help.

catchlights said:
First, what film format did you use and what size did you print?
Second, did the "crop away" area show on the neg?
Third, how much area being crop off, if it is a 4R print, roughtly how many mm of images being crop off?

Lastly, if you want 100% from the neg if you go for machine print is not possible, unless you ask them to print 4R image on 5R paper, or you can go for custom print, tell them print it without cropping.

Hope this help.
The crop away can be seen on the negative. Is just they cannot reproduce it on the picture. Have no idea how much has been crop away though, because never seen the full size one.

That means the statement from the shop is true??:dunno:

madmacs said:
what size you print? 4r will be full-frame but 3r will get cropped.
I printed 3R.:bsmilie:
But from what I manage to ask from the shop, they say the problem is when the machine read from the negative, they say they have no control on "exactly" where the picture crop.

TMC said:
what kind of a messed up machine are they using? which shop did you go to?
:bsmilie: Have no idea, but they are using Fuji, i think for everything including the photo paper. But i doubt the problem is with the machine. :think:

Ah_Seng said:
Oh...and pls tell me the name of the shop so i can avoid. Thanks.
All bro over here don't worry, this does not happens in Singapore.:bsmilie:
It happens in Penang, I went home for vacation.:)
Will try out Labs in Singapore in future, starting to take picture now, of course with film camera, pocket not deep enough for Digital. :embrass:

huggable said:
Strange that it could happen to a roll of film. For some digicam photos, the aspect ratio is 1.3, hence different from the standard 1.5 (eg 4x6 for 4R), hence there would be some cropping on the long edge. A photoshop staff was kind enough to explain that to me.

The explaination of the shop was unacceptable, maybe you can show us how much was cut off?

Paiseh :embrass: , dunno how to show, because I got the print out photo and the negative only, from the negative can see there are quite a bit of space but then on the photo the object is cut off a bit. :bheart:

SLee said:
I printed 3R.:bsmilie:
But from what I manage to ask from the shop, they say the problem is when the machine read from the negative, they say they have no control on "exactly" where the picture crop.

ah..that explains it :bsmilie:

ya...if print negative on 3r paper sure get cropped. its not that they dont have control over the cropping. more like if they are busy they cant possibly be asking you how you want the photo cropped for every single frame. next time ask them print on 4r. should get more or less full-frame. :)

madmacs said:
ah..that explains it :bsmilie:

ya...if print negative on 3r paper sure get cropped. its not that they dont have control over the cropping. more like if they are busy they cant possibly be asking you how you want the photo cropped for every single frame. next time ask them print on 4r. should get more or less full-frame. :)

Mmm...:bsmilie: ...Thank for your advice.
But I'm still puzzle about this a bit.
Does this mean that the photo never get "bigger" when we go from 3R to 4R?:think:
The problem comes out when the "aspect ratio" (not sure whether i used the right term) of 3R and 4R is different?:dunno:
Will this problem cause the picture to be cut in all directions, i mean top, bottom, left and right??

Regards
SLee

The ratio between 3R & 4R are differrent,
3R 3.5" x 5" 7:10 1050 x 1500
4R 4" x 6" 2:3 1200 x 1800
So the they can either squeeze the 2:3 ratio into 7:10 and cause distortion, or they cut it from 2:3 ratio into 7:10, so they choose to cut the out of 7:10 ratio part.

Looks like the mystery has been solved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.