Picture control, post processing and cleaning of camera body questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fterh

Nov 23, 2009
1. If I set picture control to vivid, does it affect RAW? I save only in RAW and not JPEG, but I would like a more saturated picture :D

2. Post processing. In photoshop, do you use "auto" and tweak from there or manually tweak everything?

3. What do I use to clean for the camera's body? Do I use the cloth that comes with the lens cleaning kit? If so, do I need to wash the cloth after every clean?

1. If I set picture control to vivid, does it affect RAW? I save only in RAW and not JPEG, but I would like a more saturated picture :D

2. Post processing. In photoshop, do you use "auto" and tweak from there or manually tweak everything?

3. What do I use to clean for the camera's body? Do I use the cloth that comes with the lens cleaning kit? If so, do I need to wash the cloth after every clean?

1. It does affect RAW.

2. Depends on pictures and how people want to tweak their pictures. "Auto" doesn't always gives you the results you want.

3. That cloth provided is preferably for lenses or viewfinders only. Use a normal clean cloth will do.

1. It does affect RAW.

2. Depends on pictures and how people want to tweak their pictures. "Auto" doesn't always gives you the results you want.

3. That cloth provided is preferably for lenses or viewfinders only. Use a normal clean cloth will do.

1. Okay thanks :D

2. Ok... I think I'll use auto because most of the time it really makes it nicer in the direction I want :D

3. Hm okay. I heard to use a microfiber cloth because it will "suck up" the dirt and oils.

Is this okay for cleaning lens?
21dqt1k.jpg
it's in the nikon cleaning kit but i dun think it's microfiber because it feels soft but rough... microfiber is those like silky type right?

1. It does affect RAW.

To be precise, it only affects the small jpg image embedded in the RAW file. The big image file containing the sensor data is not affected. Secondly, there will be a 'remark' about the Picture Style used. The camera=specific RAW converters can use this and apply the same Picture Style when loading the images.

Is this okay for cleaning lens?
Only for the lens barrel or if you plan to buy replacements lenses soon. Please search here, there are many threads discussing lens cleaning solutions and the necessary products. First choice always should be a blower. If this is not enough then there are lens tissues, microfiber cloth, lens cleaning solution ... your choice.

Only for the lens barrel or if you plan to buy replacements lenses soon. Please search here, there are many threads discussing lens cleaning solutions and the necessary products. First choice always should be a blower. If this is not enough then there are lens tissues, microfiber cloth, lens cleaning solution ... your choice.

Because it's in the Nikon professional cleaning kit... I use blower for dust, but for the oils I need a cloth.

1. Okay thanks :D

2. Ok... I think I'll use auto because most of the time it really makes it nicer in the direction I want :D

3. Hm okay. I heard to use a microfiber cloth because it will "suck up" the dirt and oils.

To correct for 1, it doesn't affect Raw regardless of the pic control u adopt, it only affect the jpg man..

Updated to no.1:

Capture nx2 and viewnx will apply these settings to your picture if you had used vivid picture control, however, the settings will not work on other softwares like photoshop (i.e ur pictures will look duller as compared to those u will see when loaded with capture nx2 and viewnx)

Updated to no.1:

Capture nx2 and viewnx will apply these settings to your picture if you had used vivid picture control, however, the settings will not work on other softwares like photoshop (i.e ur pictures will look duller as compared to those u will see when loaded with capture nx2 and viewnx)

Even in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom, if you have your Nikon profiles installed, the settings can be applied too, if the user so wish.

Because it's in the Nikon professional cleaning kit... I use blower for dust, but for the oils I need a cloth.

That's a microfibre cloth too. Looks similar to the 3M one I use. If it's the same, it works great for cleaning the lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.