Picture comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

yewsiang

Mar 20, 2006
Dear all fellow shutterbugs. Here are two similiar shots that are handled differently and with 2 different cameras. Would appreciate if someone can feed back to me which shot (top or bottom) has the better overall colour. Thanks for your time. (PS: road is lit with normal street lights)

compare2tc.jpg

i'll say #2. #1 actually brings out the colour of the car. it's like i'll be more attracted to the rather than the background but #2 is overall the the colour is nicer to me =)

for me. I prefer pic 1. I prefer the darker feel.

Are these pictures direct from the camera?
Personally, i think the second pic may be a "truer" reflection of the actual lighting situation which you shot in ... If all technical settings are the same, then i like #2 better ...

RGDs

hi. The 2 pics are taken with 2 different DSLR cameras from 2 extreme ends of the price range. The bottom pic is slightly darkened in photoshop. Otherwise unchanged. Not entirely sure about the top pic though...belongs to a fellow friend.

In my opinion, it is very difficult to do a side-by-side comparison of "better overall colours" if the pictures have been post-processed thru photoshop. It is more accurate to do it with direct out of camera shots.

RGDs

Oh...Dun worry. I'm not asking for comparison between the output of 2 cameras. Just wanna know if I were to throw you these 2 pics which would you prefer. That's all.

the colour has a strong cast on the 2nd image. too orange. i would prefer the output from the first camera - and adjust from there. (its easier to add a cast then to remove it)

in anycase, it doesn't mean anything. colour depends on your subject and how you wish to capture it. under incandescent lighting, its likely to be a difficult balence between having a strong colour cast and managing a "true" white point.

In the first case, you stay true to reality, but it never looks the same as standing there because you aren't viewing the image surrounded by incandescent lighting. in the second, the image will look fake because mentally you know that the image is in reality orangy.. and it lets you down on expectation.

btw. this is actually one of the reasons why a lot of photographers shoot b/w under incandescent lightning. removes this difficult to manage issue.

prefer the first one for colour..... but second one seems to show more detail...just my half cent worth opinion.

btw, can PM me what camera you used for the two shots..(if you don't want to disclose what camera you used to inference the opinion of others yet) .me also thinking hard to deicide which camera to buy ... really don't have the luxury of taking photos to compare different camera

blessings many many ...

I c. Thanks very much for all the feedback so far. Any more would be most welcomed.

Long Thai Bean said:
In my opinion, it is very difficult to do a side-by-side comparison of "better overall colours" if the pictures have been post-processed thru photoshop. It is more accurate to do it with direct out of camera shots.

RGDs
Totally agree.

ouyang said:
the colour has a strong cast on the 2nd image. too orange. i would prefer the output from the first camera - and adjust from there. (its easier to add a cast then to remove it)

Hmm...the truth is that the 2nd case is the original unaltered picture (plus tungsten WB mode). The 1st case is likely altered (you can c the building window frames are bluish in the
top pic while those in the bottom pic are white)....;p Which one do think has more detail / sharpness?

1st is nicer and definitly sharper:think: IMHO

This is after correction. Now which one is better?

comparo29tu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.