Picture appear to be "wash out" in D50

Status
Not open for further replies.

okashiilo

Sep 10, 2005
East
Hi,
I'm a newbie to D50 as well as to photography. I took a couple of shots using my D50 and noticed that the color appear to be a bit "wash out" or very fade. I've changed the exposure compensation to -0.3EV and even tried setting such as "vivid" under the Image optimize setting. Is there any setting that could make the color "richer"? How about the custom setting?

okashiilo said:
Hi,
I'm a newbie to D50 as well as to photography. I took a couple of shots using my D50 and noticed that the color appear to be a bit "wash out" or very fade. I've changed the exposure compensation to -0.3EV and even tried setting such as "vivid" under the Image optimize setting. Is there any setting that could make the color "richer"? How about the custom setting?

it is better to show some of the sample pictures.

Hi maybe you can play around with ur custom settings to obtain a richer colour contrast compared to just using the vivid setting.

Can read up more about light and lighting from Michael Freeman's digital series that should be available in most libraries. I hope I got the author's name right. It helps when you know what you are trying to achieve and what factors influence it.

Moved thread to a more appropriate location

Ian
Nikon Forum Moderator.

I had 2 friends who bought D50 recently and told me the camera not so good, complain this and that. When I met up with them to see what's wrong. Ha! one has his camera set to ISO1600.... so his day time picture is all washout/blown. The other had EV -0.1, and real slow sync turn on. So u can guess what his shot with flash will look like. Newbies usually just fiddle around the buttons and unknowingly change the settings without knowing what it will do to the camera.

The rule of thumb is to show some sample pictures when asking for help or else all the helpful people will be guessing and misleading u further. ;)

I hope newbies do not arrive at the assumption that DSLR cams equates to instant sharp and colorful images, derived using the simplistic approach of just aiming and shooting without other considerations. If so, the element of surprise will certainly be there to ambush new users.

Best is just go out and shoot, come home read manual, find opportunity for shooting such as events or go zoo and then re-read manual, and then fill up on more eqpt and then re-read manual and then re-read manual and then re-read manual. At least that's how i've been doing it... :p ..starting to OT.

To bring it back, Okashilo, post some pictures and the settings your camera was in to have a decent review of your techniques?

Pepper said:
I had 2 friends who bought D50 recently and told me the camera not so good, complain this and that. When I met up with them to see what's wrong. Ha! one has his camera set to ISO1600.... so his day time picture is all washout/blown. The other had EV -0.1, and real slow sync turn on. So u can guess what his shot with flash will look like. Newbies usually just fiddle around the buttons and unknowingly change the settings without knowing what it will do to the camera.

The rule of thumb is to show some sample pictures when asking for help or else all the helpful people will be guessing and misleading u further. ;)

now i know why my friend bought 1 set as new then try to sell off weeks later.. :sweat:

Thanks for all the valuable comments. I'll try to go get some shoots and post it for your comments. I've deleted all the shots I've taken so far out of frustration.haha.

In general, I do think the poor result are partly due to my lousy skills in terms of metering, explosures control etc. Have been reading manual many times ;)

In case you did not know, you can load custom curve to the D50. But i suggest you try reverting all to "default" first and retest as our seniors suggested.

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG? I notice you mentioned you set image to "vivid" but that works better in JPEG? I may be wrong. Seniors please correct me if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.