Pics override data on CF cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staphylococcus

Apr 28, 2004
Just curious to know how CF cards work.

Lets say you save some data files on a CF card and then subsequently use the CF card in your DSLR, will the images be captured over the data files on the card?

No. Your camera probably won't be able to read the files, but it won't write over them. The only way to erase the data in-camera. assuming it can't read the files, is to format the card.

Your data will not be overwritten. The camera uses different file names for each photo. BTW why do you want to keep data on a CF card that you will be using with your camera?

I was using the CF card to copy images to bring to the photo developement shop. Then forgot about wats inside, I used the card for shooting. Now, I cannot see the data files even though I deleted the images in-camera.

Your camera will only read and display file with spcific file name and type. For example, Canon DSLR file name start with IMG_ , other file will not be display. If you wish to clear other unwanted file in your CF card, use your PC with card reader to delete other unwanted files, or use your camera to format the CF card.

What I want to do now is to retrieve the data on the CF card, not the images on the card. My PC shows only the folders of the images, ie IMG_ or DSC_. And when I insert the card into my DSLR, it says no images in folders.

Unless you have formatted the CF card in-camera, whatever data you put in the card should remain.
If you have formatted the card, then ALL the data - photos, non-photos, whatnots - will be erased.

Didn't format the card. It just doesn't show the data files on my PC. Only show empty IMG folders.

Corrupted card?
Use a file recovery software to check your card or do a file system check using Windows.

Used a file-recovery software to see but it only shows the jpg files. I don't seem to be able to find the .xls or other file folders that I had. I haven't formatted the CF card at all. So does this mean that all files are gone into the digital abyss??

Sys info on card

Partitions: 1
Sectors/Track: 63
Size: 117.66MB
Total Cylinders: 15
Total Tracks: 3825
Total Sectors: 240975
Tracks/Cylinder: 255
Partition: Disk #2, Partition #0
Partition Size: 122.36MB
Partition Starting Offset: 16,384bytes

Status