Pics from 41-megapixel camera of Nokia Pureview 808

pinholeview

Mar 22, 2005
I've put up test images under my user review of the Nokia Pureview 808 with 41-megapixel sensor and Carl Zeiss optics. Take a look if you are interested in what the phone's camera can do, image-wise, when compared to another phone, a compact and a m4/3 camera:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/reviews/1114061-user-review-nokia-pureview-808-a.html

Meanwhile, here are some pics taken with the Pureview, straight from camera with no post-processing apart from resizing. I've kept them small (while minimising JPEG compression), as the CS Gallery only allows 400KB file.

Botanic_Lizard1.jpg

8-megapixel capture (2448 x 3264 pixels), @ 1/100 sec and f/2.4 on ISO 100, no PP

There are a lot of details in the image. This is a 100% crop of the part showing a spider resting on the cheek of the lizard sculpture. I didn't know it was there until I looked at photo.
spider38.jpg

Last edited:
The Pureview camera has pretty good dynamic range, and has quite nicely captured the subtle hues of this morning light. Colour-wise, it is also very close to what I saw.

Sunrise19.jpg

8-megapixel capture (3264 x 2448 pixels), @ 1/50 sec and f/2.4 on ISO 160, no PP

Here's another pic, a Full Resolution capture taken at 38-megapixel:

linen.jpg

38-megapixel capture (7152 x 5368 pixels), @ 1/239 sec and f/2.4 on ISO 64, no PP

This is a small 100% crop (345x345 pixels) of the entire 7152 x 5368-pixel image:
linen_detail.jpg

Last edited:
OK, here's some more pics.

Macro shot:

8-megapixel capture (3264 x 2448 pixels), @ 1/129 sec and f/2.4 on ISO 64, no PP:

Dragonfly26.jpg

Out of curiosity, I decided to go all-auto and apply Photoshop's Autolevel to see if PS agrees with the 808's exposure/WB:

Dragonfly_autolevel.jpg

Surprisingly, only very subtle changes were made by PS... :eek:

Indoor shot of Lau Pa Sat...

8-megapixel capture (3264 x 2448 pixels), @ 1/25 sec and f/2.4 on ISO 250, no PP:
Lau_Pa_Sat.jpg

100% crop from various parts of the above image, to show the amount of details captured by the 808:
Lau_Pa_Sat_4.jpg

yes i have checked it out too... would you say that the camera is comparable or better than a point and shoot? can you post more regular everyday shots regardless of whether the shots are good or not i am really keen on getting this phone i just need to know whether the scarifce of having symbian is worth the improvement in IQ

I must say the ( 41MP ) photos are better than I have expected for a camera phone.
Expect to see other phone makers following up on the megapixel race and up the ante even further.
Who knows, we might have a 4k video phone camera up the sleeves even before the dslrs

yes i have checked it out too... would you say that the camera is comparable or better than a point and shoot? can you post more regular everyday shots regardless of whether the shots are good or not i am really keen on getting this phone i just need to know whether the scarifce of having symbian is worth the improvement in IQ

Haha, I thought the Lau Pa Sat pic is pretty 'regular', since it was shot on the fly as I walked past. Sure, will put up more pics if I have time.

On your 1st question...

I think the 808 -in terms of image and lens quality- is comparable or better than most point-and-shoot (PnS) made in the last few years, particularly sub-$300 PnS that have compromised lens design, small sensor or poor image processing for JPEGs. Online, some people are even saying its high ISO performance is better than expensive PnS such as the Olympus XZ-1. The image noise and processing (even for night shots) is definitely significantly better than my old Ricoh GX100, which at one point was selling for $1K. In fact, I feel that the Rich Recording sound input on the 808 reproduces sound better than most PnS when recording video.

If you need a good camera/video camera with you all the time and don't mind only 3x lens zoom, I'd say the 808 is a great option. I was already happy with iPhone4s images/video when I don't have access to DSLR or PnS, so I'm a happy camper with the 808 and its wider 26mm lens :)

And to your last point about 'sacrifice'...

I jumped from Android and iOS to Symbian, but I was (1) not reliant on any Android/iOS-only apps, (2) not concerned about any OS-related oddities such as possible rough-around-the-edge annoyances, (3) not bothered by a 640x360 screen (which I feel is actually better in terms of contrast and brightness than iPhone4s'), and (4) OK with size of the 808.

I am no Symbian-fanboy, but for me the camera aspect of the 808 was worth the trade-offs. The latest Symbian Belle FP1 is actually pretty good, and believe me, I had far worse experience with previous incarnations of Symbian.

Last edited:
I must say the ( 41MP ) photos are better than I have expected for a camera phone.
Expect to see other phone makers following up on the megapixel race and up the ante even further.
Who knows, we might have a 4k video phone camera up the sleeves even before the dslrs

Yes, I was surprised too by the 41mpx images' quality, but D800 it ain't :bsmilie:
I look forward, too, to the 4K camera phone with a mic-in port. However, we would need extremely large microSD cards: the Canon EOS-1D C, shooting at 4K, requires 5GB of storage for 1 min footage :eek:

Last edited:
Did you look at the full resolution original files in Flickr?

My observations for the hut/patio scene is that there are differences in (1) dynamic range (worst for SIII), (2) chroma noise (more in HTC One X), (3) image processing (overdone for SIII) and (4) moire control (worst for HTC One X). I did not look at N8 since it is unlikely anyone will buy one now.

But if you plan to use the phone camera to snap only pics for display on web, then I think the Pureview is overkill for you. In fact, if you can't tell the difference or differences don't matter to you, then get any phone that fancies you ;)

I found this online

The Great Shootout - a set on Flickr

maybe its my eyes but i cant see a big difference can you guys check?

Last edited:
Did you look at the full resolution original files in Flickr?

My observations for the hut/patio scene is that there are differences in (1) dynamic range (worst for SIII), (2) chroma noise (more in HTC One X), (3) image processing (overdone for SIII) and (4) moire control (worst for HTC One X). I did not look at N8.

yep i took a look at the full res saw the big difference in the details on the woodgrain of the chair and the flowers on the curtain but at 8mpx i have to strain my eyes to see any difference maybe its just my untrained old eyes hehehe

Here's some shots of the Gardens by the Bay taken with the 808, all without PP:

Gardens_by_the_Bay_1.jpg

(1/3 sec, f/2.4, ISO 800)

The 808 built-in camera app doesn't have panorama option, but Nokia gave away FOC the CameraLover Pack app which does. Here's what I took with the app:

Last edited: