Picking a photographer in a hurry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
Ignoring portfolio, would you hire an uncle with really outdated camera system but have 20 years of experience vs rookie with all the modern gear under the sky if their prices are the same?

Truth is, I don't care what kind of equipment or how many years experience as long as they can produce the kind of pictures I like.

If Ansel Adam is still alive today, I would definitely hire him as my wedding photographer.

You only need charcoal or pencils to get a potrait :confused:
hire me leh :confused:

Ignoring portfolio, would you hire an uncle with really outdated camera system but have 20 years of experience vs rookie with all the modern gear under the sky if their prices are the same?

For me, you are ignoring the important stuff then.

1. You can't ignore portfolio. That's like saying you want to hire a chef without tasting his food.

2. Are you asking a hypothetical question? Because the answer is clearly dependent on whether you value results. Equipment is necessary but not sufficient to produce good results. So if you want good results, it's clear who you should hire.

1. You can't ignore portfolio. That's like saying you want to hire a chef without tasting his food.

2. Are you asking a hypothetical question? Because the answer is clearly dependent on whether you value results. Equipment is necessary but not sufficient to produce good results. So if you want good results, it's clear who you should hire.
hypothetical.

would you hire an experienced but outdated which could mean film camera or a rookie but cutting edge digital system including photoshop with both saying they can give you the pictures you want.

hypothetical.

would you hire an experienced but outdated which could mean film camera or a rookie but cutting edge digital system including photoshop with both saying they can give you the pictures you want.

as long as they can PROVE that they can give me the pictures i want, i.e show me their portfolio, he can shoot with a pin-hole camera for all i care (of course, i'm exaggerating here, but you get my drift)

hypothetical.

1. Film is not outdated.

2. Hypothetically, I'd have to say I pay for results, not equipment. When I go to a restaurant I don't ask what kife the chef uses, what oven he uses, etc. So why should I care what camera he uses?

1. Film is not outdated.

2. Hypothetically, I'd have to say I pay for results, not equipment. When I go to a restaurant I don't ask what kife the chef uses, what oven he uses, etc. So why should I care what camera he uses?
exactly...

To TS, as for the food, I think you are more interested on how the food smell, look, and taste, and also the ambient where you dine.

correct? even though whatever food whether is expensive or cheap, it come out from the rear is still the same.

btw, if any photographer has money, can just walk in to any camera shops to buy the most awesome cameras.

but he can't buy any experience from anyway, nobody is able to sell it to him even his has lot of money.

none...

20 years of experience shooting standard things is as good as a rookie with a dummy's guide to wedding photography read thru.

if a person was to ignore portfolio, this guy will not be even bothered about outcome, any tom dick or harry with a camera will be good enuff... probably just need a model with a nice looking camera will do... look better at the occasion.

All these variables don't mean anything.

Number of years experience, type of gear, etc have NO bearing on the subjective output.

The person may have 50 years of photography experience, but are his shots good? And there are some naturally talented people who don't seem to know head or tails about photography, but the moment they pick up the camera, they know how to create art. Even if Ansel Adams were still around, does it mean that he'd be a good wedding (for example) photographer?

If you choose a photographer based only on faith, remember that by definition, faith is blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.