Pic not clear and sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

300N

May 10, 2004
North East
www.photonski.com
Hi everyone,

I m new here and I wanted to find out from you why my picture taken is not sharp and clear?
What is the likely cause of it

a) is it handshake problem, then how to remedy?
b) by the f-stop setting, then which one to use when taking only subject clear and the rest blur or everything also sharp.

Canon user 300D

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.

You also have to establish what's causing the blurness. Is it really because of handshake, insufficient DOF, mis-focus or is it just the inherently soft images from the 300D which requires some post editing e.g. sharpening.

If you can get yourself a tripod to eliminate handshake for low light conditions. This might not work for all situations though. When handholding, do not use a slow shutter speed or use a higher ISO in order to use a faster shutter speed.

For a shallow DOF, use a bigger aperture, smaller F number. For deeoper DOF, use a smaller aperture, bigger F number.

How about post your shot here with exif data for us to see where is the problem lies ..

There are a few things that can cause pic not clear and sharp.
1. Handshake - most ppl can handhold and shoot at about 1/60 or 1/125 shutter speed. But some ppl have extreme shaky hands and will need to increase the shutter even faster, ie 1/250, 1/500, etc. You can also try using a tripod or lean yourself against a wall. Also hold your breath when pressing the trigger, and press the trigger gently, not a sudden down then up. (same thing you do in the army right?)
2. Out of focus - your 300D (I think) has 7 points focusing, see which one you are using for auto focus, press the trigger half way, lock in the focus, (you should see a red blinking dot), then frame your subject. You can also practise and learn how to control DOF (depth of field). Using a large aperture eg f2, f2.8, etc can give you "subject clear and rest blur effect" but you must know where is your subject and where to focus. Using a small aperture eg f8, f11, etc can give you "everything also sharp effect" but that will require you to use a slower shutter speed, hence see problem 1 above.

If you take portrait, the most common practise is to focus on the subject eyeball, (not the nose) and pick the eyeball that is nearer to your camera. ;)

er... why is this post in feedback and suggestions?

Oh, almost forgot, in digital age, your DSLR should have a function for in-camera sharpening, not sure what you set there. Also if you shoot in low light, even you have stable hand and use tripod, the sensor may produce some grainy effect on the image. That may also give you an impression that it is not clear and sharp.

300N said:
Hi everyone,

I m new here and I wanted to find out from you why my picture taken is not sharp and clear?
What is the likely cause of it

a) is it handshake problem, then how to remedy?
b) by the f-stop setting, then which one to use when taking only subject clear and the rest blur or everything also sharp.

Canon user 300D

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.

a) use tripod, or fast shutter speed, or flash.

b) use the f-stop with the smallest number. and make sure your subject is far away from everything else.

Astin,

I know you are using Nikon 100D and sharpening is found inside but I am using 300D, I don't find any sharpening in it. Any suggestion to improve on the picture quality and effect.

If u are using telephoto lens u may need to hold your camera steady.. else, sure a bit blur blur wan.
If u are using wide angle lens and image still not sharp and clear, i suggest u check on ur camera condition or setting.

mervlam said:
er... why is this post in feedback and suggestions?

he's new.. he thot this forum is for him to seek feeback n suggestions... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.