Phuket Thailand This Weekend

Hi Guys

I went through a couple of websites on Phuket.

Need some advice on where I can put up cheap really because most of the time I wouldnt be in the Hotel.

I am more into street shooting the local scenes etc.
Was thinking of Patong, any suggestions?

Catch would be that I have to be meeting my boss who is down at Amanpuri at Surin beach just for a couple of hours. Anyone knows how long & how much a taxi ride would be from Patong to Surin?

Am still pondering if I should stay at Patong or just at Surin really. Gurus, suggestions please? :)

Hi Guys

I went through a couple of websites on Phuket.

Need some advice on where I can put up cheap really because most of the time I wouldnt be in the Hotel.

I am more into street shooting the local scenes etc.
Was thinking of Patong, any suggestions?

Catch would be that I have to be meeting my boss who is down at Amanpuri at Surin beach just for a couple of hours. Anyone knows how long & how much a taxi ride would be from Patong to Surin?

Am still pondering if I should stay at Patong or just at Surin really. Gurus, suggestions please? :)

PATONG best place in Phuket cheap foods good scenic spots friendly people cheap souvenirs and most of all cheap hotels ^_^ wanted to go back there someday

whats your budget?

i suggest just getting a bus, tuk tuk or taxi into Patong area and going back a couple of streets and just start looking around and inspecting the various room options .....most bare basics places (room, shower, air con and TV) are not found in the travel booking portals...... normally around 200-500THB a night

The further away from the beach, the cheaper

rent a 90cc Cub motorcycle and ride north of Patong to Surin..... Kamala beach is between patong and surin as long as the sea is on your left hand side, you're in the right direction......very fun small road with lots of stopovers but can be quite twisty and hilly along the way...... a tuk tuk 2 way INCLUDING wait for you should cost no more than 150thb roundtrip.... but usually 70-80thb if u speak Thai.... or else take the bus tuk tuk

Last edited:
whats your budget?

i suggest just getting a bus, tuk tuk or taxi into Patong area and going back a couple of streets and just start looking around and inspecting the various room options .....most bare basics places (room, shower, air con and TV) are not found in the travel booking portals...... normally around 200-500THB a night

The further away from the beach, the cheaper

rent a 90cc Cub motorcycle and ride north of Patong to Surin..... Kamala beach is between patong and surin as long as the sea is on your left hand side, you're in the right direction......very fun small road with lots of stopovers but can be quite twisty and hilly along the way...... a tuk tuk 2 way INCLUDING wait for you should cost no more than 150thb roundtrip.... but usually 70-80thb if u speak Thai.... or else take the bus tuk tuk

Hmm, was going to book online tomorrow on www.asiarooms.com saw some going for less then SGD100 for 2 nights really.

I'll only be back to the hotel for sleeping really so yea, dont really need to spend to much on that part.

Hmm, bro, I got no motor license lei, can rent ah? Think I'll prob take a taxi tuk tuk there or something. How long is the journey from Patong to Surin estimated?

Patong to Surin is about 20-30mins depending on traffic........ its a very small twisting road and many slow vehicles and tourists driving/riding on e road.....

Dun worry about rooms bro...... when u arrive at airport in Phuket..... just check the signs the touts are carrying (let them make some commission la) and choose one...... OTHERWISE there IS a Hotel Booking Counter with not bad rates and have rates for many hotels NOT listed in asiarooms

But the last few times i was in Phuket.......... we arrived with ZERO room bookings.... just grabbed a bus to Patong and walked around the streets AWAY from the beach ...... there are SO MANY choices and SO MANY levels of quality

2 nights only...... dun stress so much..... plenty of zero star places with clean room, aircon and hot shower

No rooms in Phuket is like saying 'No Shopping in Hong Kong' :bsmilie:

Food in Patong...... just stay away from the beachside seafood restauraunts ....... mostly for tourists.......... good and economical seafood is actually most of the teochew restauraunts in Phuket Town and not in Patong ..... just find a local restauraunt PACKED with locals....... you will likey hit Jackpot

Patong to Surin is about 20-30mins depending on traffic........ its a very small twisting road and many slow vehicles and tourists driving/riding on e road.....

Dun worry about rooms bro...... when u arrive at airport in Phuket..... just check the signs the touts are carrying (let them make some commission la) and choose one...... OTHERWISE there IS a Hotel Booking Counter with not bad rates and have rates for many hotels NOT listed in asiarooms

But the last few times i was in Phuket.......... we arrived with ZERO room bookings.... just grabbed a bus to Patong and walked around the streets AWAY from the beach ...... there are SO MANY choices and SO MANY levels of quality

2 nights only...... dun stress so much..... plenty of zero star places with clean room, aircon and hot shower

No rooms in Phuket is like saying 'No Shopping in Hong Kong' :bsmilie:

Thanks bro, really helpful info.

Am booked up on SQ by my office, leaving on Friday. Meeting my boss on Saturday morning, the stress is the birthday gift I am hand carrying for his wife, lets just say it cost more than 2 Leica M9 :sweat:

Food in Patong...... just stay away from the beachside seafood restauraunts ....... mostly for tourists.......... good and economical seafood is actually most of the teochew restauraunts in Phuket Town and not in Patong ..... just find a local restauraunt PACKED with locals....... you will likey hit Jackpot

Oh I see..

Just curious, was looking at the map, Phuket town is actually on the east of the island & Patong is West, taxi there again I suppose?

Oh yea, any thing I should avoid while in Phuket? Sorry ah, so many noob questions, never been to Phuket really, only other parts of Thailand :embrass:

not sure where Surin is but I think it'll be a better choice if you stay in Patong as that is where everything happens at night.. if you wanna go shoot, can visit nearby the Phi Phi Island, which is beautiful.. Phuket Town is 20-30mins ride away from Patong via Tuk Tuk and it features low and old buildings, which provides the rustic ambience and environment.. nice place to do some street shooting!

when i visited Phuket during the high season in Nov last year, I was still able to get a hotel at 1200bht per night which is about 50sgd thereabout? my suggestion would be to go to latestays.com cause I think the prices are really good!

nothing much to avoid lah....... just use common sense ...... looks like you're alone there so dont get drunk

embrace the ladyboys :bsmilie: !!!