Phuket Island Hopping

Arcos

Oct 17, 2006
Hi guys, I will be heading to Phuket in August and I'm not sure if it is a good idea to bring along my dslr for the island hopping.

Anyone has experience bringing dslr along for island hopping? Planning to do a bit of snorkeling too.

Anyone can share their experience of island hopping in Phuket?

You will be wet most of the time. Not advisable.

I went there a few months ago. Just bring big enough plastic bag to cover your dslr and be careful when stepping into and out of the speedboats, it will be funny if you fall down into the water. If you want to do snorkling, you can leave your dslr on the speedboat, it's safe since the captain and tour guide are around most of the time.

its ok to bring your dslr. the island hopping tour usually quite a lot of ppl on board the boat so just be extra careful. i have one of these to stow it away when not using. just be extra nice to everyone onboard i doubt anyone will try to steal/pickpocket from you (this especially since you probably spend the next 6-8hours together). if still scared den label your camera discreetly eg put a sticker on your battery (if lost and got searched out on someone else, you can identify its yours). still scared den better dun go.

some other tips
1. check wad time will the bus pick you up (usually before 7.30, depends where you going). inform reception to prepare packed breakfast (usually free, depends where u stay too) since you probably will miss the breakfast buffet (if its part of the deal with your hotel)
2. morning drop by the pool area and pick up 1/2 fresh towels for yourself, else ask reception to prepare too
3. bus journey should take 1/2hours (depends on destination) i would finish my breakfast and take a nap during this. else you can snap away @ the scenery.
4. be very clear of who your guide is cos usually the agent you booked is only a middleman and upon arrival you will see about 40-50ppl @ the organising company (some jetties have as many as 5-8 shops organising these tours so expect a crowd)
5. if going snorkelling just stow your dslr away in your bag, under the seat, cover with your clothes/towels that you brought (keep one clean to dry yourself later), look around to see if got ppl watching you (expect ppl to stay onboard and refuse to get of the boat, its their choice)
6. aug/sep is monsoon in the gulf region iirc, expect a rather windy and choppy sea. if it rains good to have the waterbag i recommended.

anything else shoot away i'll try to recall from my previous trips.

Since i just came back from island hopping in that area, thought i'd share some issues with you.

You will 100% get wet with seawater when you board or alight from a speedboat.
For me, I brought a relatively large dry bag (those you use for kayaking and water sports) and padded it with inserts. No worries about partial submersion and large water splashing.
I went snorkelling without problem as well, just leave my dslr in the bag on board, as the captain and guide is on board to watch our valuables.
If you really scared or feel suspicious someone is eyeing your items, then better keep it by your side all the time or don't bring it along. But the way i see it, everyone else with cameras and valuables seems fine leaving their items on board.
Be prepared to clean often, with sand and salt sometimes stuck in those hard to clean places.

One important thing to note.
If you are those kind that treat the DSLR like a delicate baby, better don't bring, you will feel pekcek taking care of it and will end up not enjoying the trip.

When i went to Phuket recently in June, I did bring alone my DSLR, but make sure you protect you baby at all times... When you return from there, put those gears in the dry box and "Dry it" with very very low RH for about one day. Then you are ready to go again..

P/s this is what i did when back home..

Yes, it's fine to bring your dslr and leave it on the boat while snorkelling. Some of the stops for eg phi phi island do not involve diving straight into the sea coz they have small boats to bring u on land safely so u can take ur landscape pics while at the beach. Of coz if at those beaches, just stay close to the shore while having fun in the water or take turns with frenz to guard the camera.

One additional unrelated tip as well: don't purchase ur island hopping pass online here! There will better prices there as well. Do go for ATV as well and if u happen to get the one that has the route to the giant Buddha statue, ur dslr is a huge bonus coz the view there is awesome. :)

Some of the beach is simply amazing.... enclosed with a sheer cliff with an opening to the blue sea and the pure white sand....err...minus the tourist....

As with all the previous advice.... keep your DSLR safely inside a waterproof bag when moving... you will get salt water spray....

Wow, those are very useful information for me. Thank you all :D

Yes, it's fine to bring your dslr and leave it on the boat while snorkelling. Some of the stops for eg phi phi island do not involve diving straight into the sea coz they have small boats to bring u on land safely so u can take ur landscape pics while at the beach. Of coz if at those beaches, just stay close to the shore while having fun in the water or take turns with frenz to guard the camera.

One additional unrelated tip as well: don't purchase ur island hopping pass online here! There will better prices there as well. Do go for ATV as well and if u happen to get the one that has the route to the giant Buddha statue, ur dslr is a huge bonus coz the view there is awesome. :)

i just came back from phuket... somewhat rainy

speaking of phi phi island my ship didn't have speedboat to bring me to one of the small surrounding island shore... so i did things the garang way .. ie put my dslr in a NTUC plastic bag with a towel and kayak to shore in order to shoot some monkeys hahaha

of course its best to get the right protective gear

Hi, Even we have planned to visit Phuket Island this year and thank you so much for your valuable feedback. :)

Get urself a huge ziplock bag to put ur DSLR in...I brought my 7D & D10 along last yr for my Phuket trip...