Phottix verses SU800 or ??????

ndwgolf

Sep 25, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Guys
I am in the market for something to trigger my flashes;
I have a D4s that has no pop up flash
I am buying a D800e next week that has a pop up flash
The flashes I have are SB910, SB600 and a Nixion xxxxxxx (cheapo fill flash)
My thinking is I want to do some indoor flash photography with the wife modeling I also want to do some outdoor flash photography also with my wife modeling. I have stands and umbrellas and a few other bits and bobs but if I want to use my D4s then I need to get something to trigger the flashes and seeing as I use Nikon gear the SU800 seems like the obvious choice ......................but is it??
Any help as always would be much appreciated

SU800 triggers via infra red light. Indoors will probably work fine, but outdoors will be a challenge. You will need line of sight, and it can get affected by sunlight, and range is limited.

If you want fully manual triggers, there are tons out there and most will work well.

If you want TTL support, Look at Phottix Odin series of triggers or Pocketwizards FlexTTL. If you want to mix some manual flashes into the TTL mix, you need to get some manual triggers that are compatible with the TTL triggers. For Phottix, you need to get Stato. For Pocketwizards, you need to get PW X or PW Plus III.

Just go for PocketWizards. Best in the business.

The limitations of the Nikon SU-800 are explained by daredevil. It is, of course, a much cheaper option, over PocketWizards.

You can put the SU800 on a Pocket Wizard and use the SU800 as the commander. Another route is to junk the Nikon flashes and get the Mitros+ flashes with the Phottix Odin. I have a couple of SB910s and the triggering system with the SU800 is amateurish compared to the competitor offerings. At least Canon has switched to radio triggers now.

If can wait.. wait a little while more. Nikon might have a surprise up their sleeve..

If can wait.. wait a little while more. Nikon might have a surprise up their sleeve..

If Nikon launches new radio flashes, it will be good news indeed. But the current flashes of the OP still have to be replaced.

Pocketwizards recently got a good price drop. So making it even more attractivr

If Nikon launches new radio flashes, it will be good news indeed. But the current flashes of the OP still have to be replaced.

But a radio system will render much of the older CLS system redundant. I don't think Japanese folks are into this line of transformation. But hey, I am all for good news!

I just did a comparison of the Nikon SB910 and the Mitros+. I could not tell a difference at all from the shots when alternating between the two. TTL exposure was the same, so was colour (without the diffuser). I absolutely see no reason why I should not sell the SB910s that I have. In terms of the trigger as stated by the OP, the SU-800 cannot trigger zoom settings in the flashes. There is no ability to do ratios so easily like the Canon ETTL system. There is also no battery indicator on the SU-800. The build quality of the plastic used is equivalent to the Sony HVL-60M. And the case that comes with Phottix is a few notches above the Nikon...... There are areas that the Nikon performs better than the Phottix, e.g. recharges at full power is quicker (Under C.Fn 06, there is an option to enable Quick Flash for the Mitros+); the Mitros+ stumbles after a few shots in continuous mode. The Phottix uses a non-standard power input; an adapter is provided but a true hassle. But works with the SD9 and all other Quantum/Godox packs.

14124628278_4c405e8e86_o.jpg

14288142216_0f2406b4bd_o.jpg

Last edited:
But a radio system will render much of the older CLS system redundant. I don't think Japanese folks are into this line of transformation. But hey, I am all for good news!

With the Odin, you can set the trigger to be the master using optical. It will work with the CLS system. Just cannot do both radio and optical simultaneously unlike the Quantums.

Last edited:
TTL exposures on the Nikon D4 is highly accurate:

14336536094_3bbcf2ab3e_o.jpg