Photostitching

Status
Not open for further replies.

startrails

Dec 9, 2008
Bedok, Singapore
I'm doing a photo assignment for my squadron.

They'll be printing it on a banner, and all I have is a 10mp 40D.

Which means to say if I blow it up, I'm gonna have lots of blurry mish mash!

So, which is better? To just take a UWA shot, or to stitch multiple shots together?

or just rent a 5DmkII and a 16-35MKII and be done with it?:dunno:

TIA for the advice, bros!:D

I've never pushed a 40D that much before so I can't say how it would perform, but I've done very sharp, large 2 meter files on a 8MP Digic II sensor without excessive sharpening needed.

The weak point in your intended rental set is a zoom lens. A prime lens will give you better results almost everytime. Remember that wide angles are not Canon's strength, more so on a FF. Consider using the Contax Carl Zeiss 28mm 2.8 (NOT the f/2 which is slightly less sharp), the Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm 2.8 or a Nikkor 24mm 2.8. These are all 'legendary' manual focus primes that would offer outstanding results when shot at their optimum apertures - usually f/8 - f/10, and would almost always beat any of the AF equivalents hands-down.

All the best.

Or somehow get your hands on a medium format pano cam like a Fuji GX617, gives you huge 6x17cm negs so a banner shouldn't be a problem.. I know some units do have one, just see if you got the connections..

To me, for a 10MP camera, the biggest size you can go to get sharp images (with max resolution and lowest compression in JPEG) is A0 size..
Above this size, it will be slightly pixellated..

As I'm using E-510, I'm not sure about 40D though.. :dunno:

i think an easier way for ur existing setup to obtain higher res might be just to do a simple stitching if ur subjects are relatively static. The photo stitching modules in software nowadays are pretty sophisticated.

ryan

i think an easier way for ur existing setup to obtain higher res might be just to do a simple stitching if ur subjects are relatively static. The photo stitching modules in software nowadays are pretty sophisticated.

ryan

i like how your username 'giantcanopy' is giving tips on stitching! :sweatsm:

ryan

I'm gonna do a posed squadron shoot with aircraft on static displays.. i've tried out the place and figured that even with the 5dmkII 21.1mp, i still might have to do stitching supposing if the printing were to be high resolution.

The old banner at my office was taken with a 5D, no stitching.. and the faces were pixelised.. don't want that to happen again.

I'll be stitching with 40D pics, 50D pics and just for fail safe, a static UWA shot with a 5DmkII and 16-35.. hopes some miracle will happen!:bsmilie:

not sure how big u want to blow up the print, i used 40D for the NDP banners on the lamp post for 2009.

How big is the banner supposed to be, and how high up would it be mounted and from what distance would it be viewed?

If the requirements are so stringent, rent a Hasselblad digital. Or use a larger format and get the trans drum scanned. The latter should give you about 100MP of very high quality data to work with. :)

not sure how big u want to blow up the print, i used 40D for the NDP banners on the lamp post for 2009.

icic.. i think the banner that's gonna be created wld measure bigger than that.. gonna be about 4-6 42" (3rows, 2 or 3 columns @ landscape orientation)LCD TVs stacked together.. around that size...

How big is the banner supposed to be, and how high up would it be mounted and from what distance would it be viewed?

If the requirements are so stringent, rent a Hasselblad digital. Or use a larger format and get the trans drum scanned. The latter should give you about 100MP of very high quality data to work with. :)

it's gonna be along a stairwell, and the entire poster will be viewed @ about.. furthest wld be 2m?

the deciding factor if a 10mp 40D can print into a banner is the banner's recommended viewing distance.

if you';re hanging your banner up on some high place, theres no point getting tack sharp imagens. no one can see the details from that far away.

and usually the purpose of a banner is ... a banner, not a family portait. so its most probably gonna be put up in a place where people cannot peep at your banner and go, "its pixelated".

anyway for your reference, I used to do DI for bridal..the largest print i have DI-ed is 30by50inches 300dpi using a picture from a 20D. slowly enlarged 5% by 5% till desired pixels. it turns out nice. coz its hung on the wall behind the bed. so it looks nice and sharp from the front of the bed.

the deciding factor if a 10mp 40D can print into a banner is the banner's recommended viewing distance.

if you';re hanging your banner up on some high place, theres no point getting tack sharp imagens. no one can see the details from that far away.

and usually the purpose of a banner is ... a banner, not a family portait. so its most probably gonna be put up in a place where people cannot peep at your banner and go, "its pixelated".

anyway for your reference, I used to do DI for bridal..the largest print i have DI-ed is 30by50inches 300dpi using a picture from a 20D. slowly enlarged 5% by 5% till desired pixels. it turns out nice. coz its hung on the wall behind the bed. so it looks nice and sharp from the front of the bed.

Hmm okay. I've did something using a 5D2 and 16-35mkII.. Did a pano since they were posing for sometime.

Turns out okay, with the fish-eye effect. Zoomed into 100% has the last person tack sharp!

falling in love with the 5d2.. :devil:

okay maybe this banner is not a banner per se. As in, it's a photo but it's gonna be printed on pvc material measuring quite big.

so, thanks for all the advice bros! it's been a stressful week.. just hope the postprocessing of cloning absentees in wld be a breeze.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.