Photoshopped photos can't be viewed on camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblue

Dec 4, 2007
Hi everyone. I'm very new to photography so please excuse my ignorance.

I bought a digital camera recently but my photos usually end up too dim or too bright. Whenever I try to edit them via Photoshop, the editted photos can no longer be viewed on the camera itself (ie. can only be viewed on the computer). The camera would give an error message along the lines of "Invalid Picture Format". I've verified that the editted photo has been saved as .jpg.

Has anyone encountered this problem before and managed to fix it? Could you kindly share your solutions with me?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. If I save the editted photoshopped image using the Olympus Master software which was provided with the camera, the photos can be read by the camera again...

Hey babyblue, it is not advisable to re-write psed files back to card again as it might corrupt ur card. Hope this helps.

Um...I think babyblue mentioned saving as jpg? I suspect it's some sort of identifier that was lost in the processing. Maybe exif or file name...

Could it be, you saved your files back into a folder that's not readable by the camera?
Cameras are very stupid devices, you might have to tell them where to look for the pictures.

hmm why would you wan to view the pics in the camera in the 1st place?

Hey babyblue, it is not advisable to re-write psed files back to card again as it might corrupt ur card. Hope this helps.
Myth. Writing files wont corrupt the card unless its
a. really really old.
b. really really crapy no-name brand
c. combination of the above.

This stems from the limited erase cycles flash based memory has, however it runs into the 100,000s.

one possibility is you saved to a non-jpeg format (eg, photoshop, tiff) but with the .jpg extension. try saving again in jpeg format. but as others have advised, copying the jpeg file back to the card can potentially cause funny problems.

Hi everyone. I'm very new to photography so please excuse my ignorance.

I bought a digital camera recently but my photos usually end up too dim or too bright. Whenever I try to edit them via Photoshop, the editted photos can no longer be viewed on the camera itself (ie. can only be viewed on the computer). The camera would give an error message along the lines of "Invalid Picture Format". I've verified that the editted photo has been saved as .jpg.

Has anyone encountered this problem before and managed to fix it? Could you kindly share your solutions with me?

Thanks in advance :)

PS. If I save the editted photoshopped image using the Olympus Master software which was provided with the camera, the photos can be read by the camera again...

Why would you want to put the pics back into the card to view on camera? Will not work lah . . .

Thanks everyone for sharing. For those who are curious, I have a habbit of storing some of my more memorable photographs (eg. those of my puppy, friends, outings, etc..) in my camera so that I can view/share them from time to time should I happen to bring the camera out.

Anyway, I've managed to find others who are experiencing the same problem and they have helped me resolve this issue. Apparently, some of the markers in the exif are omitted (eg. lens information) when photoshop saves .jpg files. In addition, my olympus camera is only able to read exif-jpg format and not the ordinary jpg format which is used by photoshop. These 2 incompatibilities made the photo completely unviewable on my camera.

Overcoming this problem is pretty laborous. It involves using 3rd party softwares like exifer to first backup the exif info before editting the photo in photoshop and finally restoring back the original exif info to the editted photo. Once that is done, the photo can be viewed on the camera albeit at an odd size (ie. can't magnify image). Saving the photo using Olympus Master or Olympus Studio with their default exif-jpg option would fix the problem and allow the photo to be viewed on the camera without anymore oddities.

Status
Not open for further replies.