Photoshop Speed test for both Macs and PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anka

Jun 29, 2004
I put this in the kopitiam section even though I mentioned Photoshop, because it has more to do with hardware than Photoshop.

In Photoshop, make a new RGB white bg 8x10 300ppi document. Open Add Noise and set to Uniform, Monochromatic, 400% and click OK. Then open Radial Blur, set to Amount 100, Method Zoom, Quality Best but do not hit OK yet.

As you hit OK, start timing. Continue timing until the filter finishes, then stop.

Report the time back here along with your machine specs.

my laptop did 3mins and 17 secs. 1.73Ghz Centrino.

I'll go confirm the timings of my main workstation.. too good to be thru.

Not sure what this prove my old Dual G5 finished the task in 59.64 sec

PS CS2, G5/2x1.8, 3GB, 10.4.3

interesting. 2:02 for iMac G5 2.0GHz

P4 Prescott Processors, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro & 1 GB DDR 400 CL2.5 RAM. 1min 47sec. Is it slow or just OK only?:think: :dunno: Me don't know much about this kind of things.:sweat: :what:

Spectrum said:
P4 Prescott Processors, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro & 1 GB RAM. 1min 47sec. Is it slow or just OK only?:think: :dunno: Me don't know much about this kind of things.:sweat: :what:
Think it is about average...it also depends on your setup, your OS and what is working in the background at startup and what you doing at the same time as you set photoshop off to crunch the effects, what brand of certain parts you own and other possible bottle neck in your PC or Mac...but Graphic cards will not play too big a role here...this test is about brute CPU processing.

This is an interesing test...we get to see many figures and some with slower CPUs too. This is fun. heh

sammy888 said:
Think it is about average...it also depends on your setup, your OS and what is working in the background at startup and what you doing at the same time as you set photoshop off to crunch the effects, what brand of certain parts you own and other possible bottle neck in your PC or Mac...but Graphic cards will not play too big a role here...this test is about brute CPU processing.

This is an interesing test...we get to see many figures and some with slower CPUs too. This is fun. heh

Thanks for explaining dude. Me still trying to understand what you've explain.:think: Stupid me.:bsmilie:

mine: 1min 15sec

old 478pins 3GHz Prescott Intel
1GB of old DDR RAM
2x SATA drive (one as scratch disk)
X700 ATI AGP graphics card.

really curious how a dual core will run... :devil: :devil:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

nightpiper said:
mine: 1min 15sec

old 478pins 3GHz Prescott Intel
1GB of old DDR RAM
2x SATA drive (one as scratch disk)
X700 ATI AGP graphics card.

really curious how a dual core will run... :devil: :devil:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

great timing. :bigeyes:

My iMac G5 2GHz with 512Mb Ram took 1:56 secs. Abit slow for a 2GHz G5?:dunno:

Spectrum said:
Thanks for explaining dude. Me still trying to understand what you've explain.:think: Stupid me.:bsmilie:

hehehe...what I am trying to say is if you look at the timings and speed rates of CPUs mentioned by everyone...you can see some of the slower CPU actually performing better then the more powerful. It is a real mix bowl of results. This is because not all computers are built in the same way.

To computate the end result for you, the computer has to put the processing through many "doorways". To get the best out of your computer, every part must be the fastest available. If anyone "doorways" is slow, that is the bottleneck that will slow the process down. There is a saying that fit this situation which is " The chain is only as strong as it weakest link".

anka said:
I put this in the kopitiam section even though I mentioned Photoshop, because it has more to do with hardware than Photoshop.

In Photoshop, make a new RGB white bg 8x10 300ppi document. Open Add Noise and set to Uniform, Monochromatic, 400% and click OK. Then open Radial Blur, set to Amount 100, Method Zoom, Quality Best but do not hit OK yet.

As you hit OK, start timing. Continue timing until the filter finishes, then stop.

Report the time back here along with your machine specs.

my laptop did 3mins and 17 secs. 1.73Ghz Centrino.

I'll go confirm the timings of my main workstation.. too good to be thru.

You know the version of PS is also relevant.

In PS 7.01, 2:00

In PS CS2, 1:30

P4 3.0C, 2 gig of DDR400 value ram running at slowest ram timings.

My dinky Thinkpad running a Pentium M 1.5Ghz with 1 gig of RAM did 2:31 using PS 7.01 (I don't have CS2 installed on the laptop). The timings were uncannily the same using CS.

Status
Not open for further replies.