PhotoShop Products: Rent or Buy

Adbobe Products: Rent or Buy or Neither?

Results are only viewable after voting.

raydio

Jun 25, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Ever since I bought my first DSLR, a Canon 400D, to the current Canon 5D3, I have been editing photos through various versions of Lightroom and PhotoShop Elements.

Now that Adobe has decided to provide an alternative to buying the software, I remain undecided as to what to do. Either pay US$9.99 per month to rent the latest releases of Lightroom + PhotoShop CS or buy them outright.

What do you plan to do and why?

i m still sticking to my cs5. i dun see the need to upgrade yet.

unless photoshop releases the unblur function, which i believe they are still working on it.

i m still sticking to my cs5. i dun see the need to upgrade yet.

unless photoshop releases the unblur function, which i believe they are still working on it.

Yes, the unblur function looks pretty incredible but there are still issues with it. Hopefully it will be included in CS7.

Either pay US$9.99 per month to rent the latest releases of Lightroom + PhotoShop CS or buy them outright.

FYI, with the launch of subscriptions, Adobe has killed boxed/perpetual licenses.*

This means option #2 in your poll is only applicable to old boxed releases, as there is no longer any 'buy them outright' option if you wish to use the latest versions.
Your only option, if you wish to use the latest Adobe software releases, is to purchase a subscription.

Edit:

* Daoyin is correct, LR is still available for purchase. In the context of this thread, this applies to Photoshop.

Last edited:
I would settle for LR and Elements as outright purchases.

If there is really a need for you to use the function of Photoshop, then I think it will be more cost effective to take up the monthly subscription than to buy the older version.
Unless of course if you have no intention to upgrade for the next 5 years, perhaps buying the box version make sense :)

there is no box version of Photoshop, but Lightroom 5, Photoshop elements still have box version available.

so if you still want to use your box version of Photoshop 6, than there won't be any update patch file for you.

if you want your photoshop to be constantly updated, can open your latest camera raw file, then you will need to subscribe to Creative Cloud,

and if you really buay song to spend the money, than join for the first year, stop on the second year, rejoin on the third year, stop for another year lor.

http://www.adobe.com/sea/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Have you tried GIMP?

if you really buay song to spend the money, than join for the first year, stop on the second year, rejoin on the third year, stop for another year lor.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice it wouldn't work. The software checks for a valid license every 30 days. If one is not found, the software will no longer work.

May I piggy back on your topic?

I am thinking to get either Adobe Photo or Light Room and needs some advice on how to get it at affordable price and whether there are such options below:

1. Where to find second-hand software?

2. Which websites give discount coupon for buying Adobe software?

3. Is it cheaper to buy from Amazon etc than buying from Adobe Singapore?

4. Sim Lim Square or any shop got sell OEM version?

5. Is there any existing mass order?

6. Is the Adobe cloud subscription worth paying on long term? In fact I have not read how it works.

Thanks.