Photoshop or NO Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidden3

Aug 20, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
Nowadays many pictures are edited. Im curious to know whether pictures need to be edited or just using the features of a DSLR camera can change or edit the taking of the pictures.
Basically, just asking whether you need to know how to edit pictures to become a good photographer? or just camera alone is able to make wonders.

I'm no professional but in my opinion, whether you choose to photoshop or not is mainly how you feel the picture taken is good enough. If you feel that the picture is good enough there's no need to photoshop unless you just want to make it look better. For those people who say even minimally-photoshopped photographs are not authetic photographs, if we were to look at film photography you'll realise any photograph produced would be manipulated in one way or another during processing to produce good ones.

Of course, photoshop is not necessary to be a good photographer, if you can snap beautiful pictures with the camera alone shows that you understand how your camera works very well.

Of course, photoshop is not necessary to be a good photographer, if you can snap beautiful pictures with the camera alone shows that you understand how your camera works very well.

i like what you say about that! :D i'm only fifteen this year, and my dad disapprove of me getting such camera. so i think its still best for me to get it myself, hopefully by end of this year.

Nowadays many pictures are edited. Im curious to know whether pictures need to be edited or just using the features of a DSLR camera can change or edit the taking of the pictures.
Basically, just asking whether you need to know how to edit pictures to become a good photographer? or just camera alone is able to make wonders.

It all depends on your choice and how much you set in your camera. If you set everything to low or normal, you may need to increase a lil during PP to help give your pictures the punch required. This is especially so when you use RAW and process it in aRGB.

When you shoot in Jpeg and set the saturation, contrast, etc to high, this PP may not be necessary as it will be sufficient for printing as it is. ;)

Hahaha.... I'm still very much a newbie. So, somethimes I do PS my photos..... add a little blue tone to make the sky look more blue, sharping a blur looking subject abit, or the more usual brightness & contrast adjestment :eek:

Did you realise that the moment you used a camera to take pictures, you are already performing a certain degree of manipulation to what you see with a computer? Ever notice what you captured on camera is never what you actually saw??

Much of what pros do in PS is really to get the same effect as they used on film. B&W conversion, extra contrast (where on film they'd use Kodachrome or Velvia), etc. It's very hard to get do those things in camera with the same quality. All the top digital photographers consider photoshop to be a critical step in post-processing.

Thank you very much all, i didnt know clubsnap people are so active! But most probably i can only get my first DSLR at end of year. It's better to learn more about it when i still got the time before getting it on hands! Can't wait! Haha.

any threads or website to share about using of photoshop? I've got Adobe Photoshop CS2 but I've barely touched it.

I am one of those who believe in using the camera with minimum photoshop. But due to $ problem, you will probably not be able to have all the telephoto lense you want. You may have to shoot a bigger picture and crop it on photoshop.

there's a whole sub-forum on the digital darkroom..

Kinda like asking during film days... "to process in dark room or just send to photolab..."

In digital photography, it's part of the process.

sorry to purists

i'm a firm believer that every picture needs adjustments

very hard to get nice pictures out of cam la
sure you can have nice ones
but they can be improved further by ps, seriously

sorry to purists

i'm a firm believer that every picture needs adjustments

very hard to get nice pictures out of cam la
sure you can have nice ones
but they can be improved further by ps, seriously

Well, even in the past, they would process the film and correct it slightly to get the effects they wanted...

Some say yes, some say no. You decide for yourself.

Photographers have always been manupulating images, even in the days of shooting in film. However, the darkroom techniques have generally been out of reach of amatuer photographers. Now, the digital format has open the door to post processing for almost all photographers.

BC

have this chat yesterday night....

One said: get everything right in the cam and no PP is need only time is to sharpen it. Why change a old woman in to young lady.

I just keep quiet. And you decide for yourself in the first place can you turn a old woman image into young lady..

Important thing is that if the PP can bringup a better image to show the woman at her age at her current stage/emotion/mood etc.... why not. :cool:

Some news publisher does not allow PP of the photo.... check recent incident. :dunno:

Some news publisher does not allow PP of the photo.... check recent incident. :dunno:

Understandable why News Publisher shouldn't use any photo that is PS before.....

But for Avg Joe like us.... hahaha, what's the harm ;)

Of course not if we intented to cheat or lie about something using the photo..... :eek:

As long as your photos are not for journalism, PP is ok. For beginners, I always believe in learning the camera first, then the photoshop later. Once you can master the composition and your camera, using photoshop to tweak is fine. After that within photoshop you'll yearn for more and start the addictive dodge and burn.

any threads or website to share about using of photoshop? I've got Adobe Photoshop CS2 but I've barely touched it.
Hmm, for basics I suggest starting off from Adobe Help itself. It can teach you the basic stuff. For the processes and steps, you can try this site http://www.good-tutorials.com
Click on Adobe Photoshop, retouch or effects and you'll get tutorials on PS. theres also tutorials on better photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.