Photoshop or Lightroom

brandonkbk

Nov 4, 2009
Hi to all seniors,

I have finally decided to invest in one good editing software to make my pictures "better". I currently using a mac and my camera is Nikon D600. Would like to check which would be better editing software, the Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom 4? And would appreciate if can recommend places to get them and cost if possible.

Thanks in advance for all advises rendered.

Go for both.
1. CS6 - go to Mine Mall is selling CS6 at $139 for student/educator.
2. LR4 - go to pic n pixel at funan. they are selling it the cheapest so far. got LR4 at 20% disc. cheaper than direct download.

To make your pictures "better" Lightroom 4 is more than enough to get the job done. Beside that it's a good tool to get all your photos organize. u could decide whether to get cs6 later if really need it.

To me their targets are different:
- Lightroom is more of a cataloging program, with some built in tools for editing, making photo books / slideshows
- Photoshop is a full blown image editing program, plus support for the various plugins for even more editing options. So does not have much cataloging capabilities

So really depends on your needs, if you just need some simple editing features, plus ability to help you sort through photos then lightroom is good enough. If you do more heavy duty editing like skin retouching etc then will need Photoshop. What I know is that many pros do have both, using both software's strengths for their needs

You might want to download their trial versions to see which one meets your needs. Actually can also consider Adobe Photoshop Elements, has both cataloging and editing features, less powerful than lightroom for cataloging but more editing options, more powerful than Photoshop for cataloging but less editing features

Or consider freeware like the very capable GIMP ;)

Last edited:
Gimp . free

Both.

Lightroom for global editing and catalog.
Photoshop for local editing.

Thanks for all advices... I am not really a IT savvy person, out of the few photo editing software, which is the easiest to use?

And what is global editing vs local editing? Location?

Go for both.
2. LR4 - go to pic n pixel at funan. they are selling it the cheapest so far. got LR4 at 20% disc. cheaper than direct download.

Uh.. Only student from MOE/government schools wor... If private school student how?..

20% discount for LR applicable to everyone? Or is that a special price?...

Personally, I use Lightroom, been using them since the previous version 3. Upgraded to LR4. It's very easy to get started with LR as compared to photoshop. The learning curve for photoshop is relatively steep, but once you know the steps or what to do, you can get most things done pretty easily.

The features in LR, thou not as much as photoshop, but it can do alot of "common" processing like exposure/shadows/highlights/curves/noise reduction/sharpness/clarity/HSL/GND. For these "common" processing, it may take you alot more time in Photoshop, if you don't know the "way" to do it.

But of course, photoshop will be the choice if you are going to do some major processing like cloning away a group of person (Lightroom can do limited amount of cloning/healing, but not as powerful as photoshop), replace the skies with the universe, make a person slimmer... or those funny distortion stuffs.

*I rarely use photoshop ever since I started using Lightroom..*

Thanks for all advices... I am not really a IT savvy person, out of the few photo editing software, which is the easiest to use?

I think probably what he meant is, in lightroom, you can apply the same processing settings across many images in 1 shot (Copy develop settings, Paste develop settings), while in Photoshop, you have to do it 1 by 1.. (not sure it can copy the actions then paste... *I know nuts about PS*)

basically both function differently.
LR is not only a image management tool, it also a a raw processing / image editing tool.
if you shoot tons of images, a few thousand images per year, and need to work on many images at once, like post processing a few hundreds RAW files from a event, this is a software design for this.
of course, you still can use it to post process a few images with LR.
unlike photoshop, LR editing images in a non-destructive way, you don't actually work on the images.

photoshop CS6 is for you to work in each individuals image extensively, it is an image manipulating software.
you can also use the bridge to manage your images, it is built in to the CS6, not as powerful as lightroom, but good enough for most people.

TS, you has to be more specify what you intend to do to your photos... if you intend to have only ONE software.

for me, I need both, and some time I use both at the same time.

What about aperture? Has anyone tried it out as compared to Lightroom and photoshop?

I think he was referring 'global' editing to overall stuff like exposure / contrast / saturation, and 'local' editing like removing spots, retouching skin etc
Lightroom can do the global stuff, plus some simpler 'local' editing stuff
Photoshop can do the global stuff (though sometimes takes more steps), more local stuff and then more

Actually to me I think both are not that easy to use heh... not those which you just buy, with instructions built in the software can just use without reading the manual. May need to consider other options if you're looking for those. I'm not that familiar so can't recommend others

However there's reasons why many pros use both software, so it may be worthwhile to spend some time learning your way around them.
If you are still not sure, and out of both if you must get only 1, I suggest getting Lightroom - cheaper, can help with cataloging, and when you feel that you need to do a lot of local editing then get Photoshop.

Just be careful with the tools you might spend more than editing and trying out different effects rather than going out to shoot ;p

use both.

metzzy said:
Go for both.

Maybe can get my cousin to get it for me since she still schooling. But a bit confused, went to the site, they selling the cs6 design and web premium. Is it the same as the photoshop? Since more into web designing. Unless i am wrong as I not familiar with the photoshop.

The Adobe Photoshop bundled in both editions are the same. Go check out the Adobe website and they will tell you what is included and what is missing in each edition.

yes, you better contact customer service of Adobe webiste to find out are you eligible to purchase Student and Teacher Edition software.

be mindful that you are posting at an open forum, you don't know who is reading your posts........

catchlights said:
yes, you better contact customer service of Adobe webiste to find out are you eligible to purchase Student and Teacher Edition software.

be mindful that you are posting at an open forum, you don't know who is reading your posts........

Haha. Noted. Just thinking only. Haha