Photoshop in Netbook??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did try installing ps on the hp mini (the one with the via processor) with 2gb ram, win xp. For small image files is does it in reasonable time but for raw images its a no go.

Maybe you should upgrade to 2gb ram but i doubt it can edit raw images at a reasonable speed. Alternatively, try using free image editing software to edit.

I am using CS4 on my Lenovo S10 with 2GB RAM and it is bearable to edit small number of RAW files from my 5D. Any more than that and the netbook will slow down considerably.

probably not powerful enough. at least not powerful enough to make it pain-free.

i use PS3 on my samsung netbook with 2gb ram. works ok for jpeg as many mentioned. don't shoot raw so duno...

go for a note book with @ least 4gb if process raw....

Use older versions like CS or CS2. Might run leaner..

So far the netbooks with nvidia's ION can run photoshop pretty well.

So i guess if i shoot oni jpeg and upgrade my ram to 2gb shd be ok rite? I wanted to use cs3 to edit minitures and also the effect where the subject is coloured and the rest is black and white. The editing of colours im using other software.

Another issue is that since netbook oni got usb ports, then how did you guys dwnload the ps software into it if you buy the cd? Copy into thumbdrive and then download? Does it work? Sorri..im not an IT incline person..might sound silly though. :)

Another issue is that since netbook oni got usb ports, then how did you guys dwnload the ps software into it if you buy the cd? Copy into thumbdrive and then download? Does it work? Sorri..im not an IT incline person..might sound silly though. :)

There are external optical drives with USB port, maybe even as a dedicated accessory for your netbook. Have you checked with the vendor's website? If not available then any other USB DVD Reader will do.

Need at least 2GB ram. With 1GB, you need to be a masochist :D

I run Paint.Net and Picasa on my laptop and netbook with 2GB ram, and its livable. It depends on camera resolution as well. If you are using a 6MP camera, then 1GB is fine.

another way is to download the trial version off adobe website and use your original cdkey.

however, photoshop does lag when you use RAW. intel Atom is not powerful actually..

actually, my complaint for using netbook is insufficient screen resolution...haha...can't get used to PS on a 1024 x 768 screen

Hi..just curious if anyone had installed ps on their netbook and wasnt unreasonably slow in editing the pics? I'm using lenovo s10 with 1gb ram and win xp.

Hi Gerald Lam CK, Welcome...

Photoshop require too much resources to run comfortably. Netbooks powered by the Intel Atom or VIA series can only surf the internet and do light Word processing.

The alternative that is not so resource hungry is Adobe Lightroom 2.5

Tweak your XP:
(1) Update the service pack 3.
(2) Increase RAM to 2GB.
(3) Unload all your background services.
(4) Visit http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm on how to tweak your registry.

Sounds like i have to squeeze the balls out of my netbook in order to use ps on it. haha..well if it doesnt work then i will download into my coy pc and use it to edit my photos (secretly during office hours....shhh!!). :)

Sounds like i have to squeeze the balls out of my netbook in order to use ps on it. haha..well if it doesnt work then i will download into my coy pc and use it to edit my photos (secretly during office hours....shhh!!). :)

That's probably not wise. One may not use personal software on company pc, as the presence of the software on company pc indicate company is using the software. Adobe does audit such situations and you may end up having a tough time if discovered.

You should buy a desktop, even those about 1k including monitor should be good enough for ps. It is part of the deal in digital photography.

Back to netbook, my experience is limited to PS Elements to batch process Fujifilm S2Pro raw files into jpg for initial use as I would be on some offshore island somewhere and revert to desk top for more serious processing. I have also processed D300 raw files. Like many have said, it is acceptable but not ideal, and the biggest limitation is with the screen size and you will need to allow the netbook to display larger than default and use your mouse to move to bottom of screen. I usually set up and go shower (after dive) or dinner. Batch processing Fujifilm S2Pro raw files about 100+ images (1 day's shoot) typically takes 30-45min. Workable but not ideal, and a desktop is highly recommended.

actually, my complaint for using netbook is insufficient screen resolution...haha...can't get used to PS on a 1024 x 768 screen

Of all the reasons, I think this is the most valid and the deal breaker for many... the primary purpose (and selling point) of the netbook is portability, so it really is not designed to run programs that work the processor very hard, for eg. photoshop.

i've use pscs2 in my asus ( atom 280 / 2 gigs ram )
and it's running quite ok for jpeg...
installed lightroom 2.0 to open my 5dmk2 raw... and it's too slow... hahahaa..

so i think jpg is ok, raw is not :|

Status
Not open for further replies.