Status
Not open for further replies.

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi Guys

Just need some guidance on Photoshop.

1) I got some negatives/slides scanned as PCD on CD and thus when i open the file in Photoshop, i was prompted to open as to open as RGB 8 bit or 16bit or to open as LAB 8 bit or 16 bit.

Which one shd i choose? I know definitely choose 16 bit as more info captured in terms of details but what's the diff between RGB and LAB?

2) Then when i wanted to save, i have 3 options, one to save as PCD/PDD, RAW or TIFF.

Again, i think save as RAW shd give the best resolution for me to work on in future?

3) Finally, typically, what do you touch up on before sending for printing? Unsharp mask/levels/contrast etc?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Cheers

dun mind me hijack ur thread. cos i got a few qn also related
i going to develope photos in my archive soon. took 2000 pics and none printed yet
so i was wondering

1)what software to use to calibrate my monitor so that what i see on screen is what i will get printed out

2)after opening the jpg, and done necessery edit, should i save it in rgb or cymk mode or any other mode

3)pics taken vertically, do i need to rotate them?

this qn is prob asked many times over
what labs do u guys recommend to print digital photos? what price at 4r and 8r?

i know there is a list of cs fav labs, but it does not include price

Still yet to find out abt my queries. Also, i can;t seems to save images from Photo CD as jpg??

Okay, since I see that no one is answering you, I'll TRY to help.......

1)To answer your question on LAB or RGB for PhotoCD, read this

2)For PCD, save as Tiff (for future editing) or compress as jpg.

3)Touchup depends on your image and what final product you want. The more important thing rather is to resize the pictures before sending for print.

zodnm said:
dun mind me hijack ur thread. cos i got a few qn also related
i going to develope photos in my archive soon. took 2000 pics and none printed yet
so i was wondering

1)what software to use to calibrate my monitor so that what i see on screen is what i will get printed out

2)after opening the jpg, and done necessery edit, should i save it in rgb or cymk mode or any other mode

3)pics taken vertically, do i need to rotate them?

1) There are quite a few, one of the simplest is Adobe Gamma that comes with photoshop. You can't get really accurate results since its calibrated with your eyes. If you want more accurate results, you'll need to get calibration devices and also the ICC profile of your print shop.

2) Depends on what your output file is for (web, printing, press, etc)

3) No, just turn your head. :D If you're sending it for printing, it doesn't matter really.

zodnm said:
this qn is prob asked many times over
what labs do u guys recommend to print digital photos? what price at 4r and 8r?

i know there is a list of cs fav labs, but it does not include price

search the forum. Price is included in the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.