Photoshop gurus on Portrait retouching!Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castlesinthesky

Aug 11, 2003
Earth,Heaven and Beyond
I saw this over at hwz and was wondering if you people have good tips/expertise in achieving this effect. i do know you can use Gaussian blur and the history brush to do it...but somehow it doesn't turn out as good as i expected it to be. i.e. the blusher isn't that prominent and USM somehow spoils it even after softening the skin etc.

any gurus care to share their workflow?

before
http://xrealmz.com/uploads/1064925205_1.jpg
After
http://xrealmz.com/uploads/1064925204_0.jpg

so do try it out and enlighten me on the work process :)

Yos, think you have blurred too much, then USM too much.
Cos there's significant loss of details and merging of lines, especially in the hair.
Try not to apply the changes to the whole picture, cos the effects on a certain part of the picture will be different on other parts of the picture.

Hi CastleintheSky,

Please do not direct link images from other sites without obtaining prior permission. If you have done so, kindly indicate with credits.

I have edited the original post so that the image shows up as a link instead.

Ok, now back to the photo, since there are no colour changes, guess it won't be that hard. I'll make use of healing brush, heavily. Follow by applying a soft focus touchup, you can read about it here,

http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/softfocus/softfocus.htm

;p

togu said:
Hi CastleintheSky,

Please do not direct link images from other sites without obtaining prior permission. If you have done so, kindly indicate with credits.

I have edited the original post so that the image shows up as a link instead.

Ok, now back to the photo, since there are no colour changes, guess it won't be that hard. I'll make use of healing brush, heavily. Follow by applying a soft focus touchup, you can read about it here,

http://www.clubsnap.org/display.php?file=articles/softfocus/softfocus.htm

;p

ah okay, apologies on the former part. :) so essentially it'll be almost identical to the steps i mentioned just now, history brush and gaussian blurring, after which is followed by USM?-which is in line like what prismatic mentioned?

but let's say i only want to do up the face,i'll just use a selection on the area right?somehow my work flow seems to elude me in doing a really nice one-perhaps it's just like what prismatic mentioned, overdoing the blur and usm

is this similiar to the effect you wanted?
51828-73.jpg

I used diffuse glow and manual blurring instead of gaussian.

you just gotta hand it to evildolly when it comes to these stuff.. lol

but hey dolly, don't you think that mucus part still got a bit there.. maybe can brush it red or something.. dark dark blackish red

sequitur said:
you just gotta hand it to evildolly when it comes to these stuff.. lol

but hey dolly, don't you think that mucus part still got a bit there.. maybe can brush it red or something.. dark dark blackish red

thank you :)

51828-72.jpg

hmm you're right.. is this any better>?

My my...this is so easy.;)

y.jpg

Here's a clue. If you have been shooting high ISOs digitally for a while, you will recognize this immediately. The tell-tale signs are there. ;p

Just a couple of clicks and some healing.

Btw, where's the original thread in HWZ?

Heh! Did some PS work on this. Tell me if you like this..... I tried to preserve as much of the original pic as possibl....
;)

ross.jpg

I think zerstorer did the best job! Care to share your workflow?

Zerstorer said:

Here's a clue. If you have been shooting high ISOs digitally for a while, you will recognize this immediately. The tell-tale signs are there. ;p

I like this, but it is a bit *too* smooth, she looks like she was cged, rather than a real person.=) i'd prfer to keep a bit of the original skin texture. hair looks a bit blurred too.=)

to each his/her own, keke. guess it depends on what effect you want.

cheers

evildolly said:
I like this, but it is a bit *too* smooth, she looks like she was cged, rather than a real person.=) i'd prfer to keep a bit of the original skin texture. hair looks a bit blurred too.=)

to each his/her own, keke. guess it depends on what effect you want.

cheers

I agree, it has a plasticky look to it, but what I was doing was to achieve the exact effect in the original post.:)

I believe what castlesinthesky is asking for is the steps to achieve the effect in the pic he posted. There are also other ways like gaussian+blur and masking and using other de-noising plug-ins. The thing is you can vary the degree and effect you want.

In this case, the answer to what I did and what was used in the original pic is just one word.....NeatImage.

Zerstorer said:
I agree, it has a plasticky look to it, but what I was doing was to achieve the exact effect in the original post.:)

I believe what castlesinthesky is asking for is the steps to achieve the effect in the pic he posted. There are also other ways like gaussian+blur and masking and using other de-noising plug-ins. The thing is you can vary the degree and effect you want.

In this case, the answer to what I did and what was used in the original pic is just one word.....NeatImage.

yea i can do the above like the rest, but what i'm interested is the CG/Porcelain doll effect actually which was why i asked regarding the work flow if we used ps7?

zerstorer-no idea where it is now though! EDMW pages shift like nobody's pictures

so essentially if i wanted a CG effect using PS7, what would be the optimal workflow besides the steps mentioned and what i did(Gaussian blur+masking+History brush)

anyone?

Zerstorer said:

y.jpg

can enlighten a newbie on what telltale signs to look for? :sweat:

m00nman26 said:
ross1.txt

hmm juz tried out for fun...
never healed juz removed noise and did curves

May I know what are the steps to achieve this result? It looks very natural

Status
Not open for further replies.