Photoshop Elements anyone?

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I received a copy of Elements 8.0 bundled with my Canon 9000F scanner.
Is it even worth learning?

My needs are pretty basic.
1. Cataloging and browsing.
2. Exposure controls - Levels, Curves
3. Layers and some blend modes
4. Sharpening
5. Saturation/Hue/Contrast
6. B/W conversion w/ filters
7. XXX to Alpha curves (Eg. Luminosity to Alpha)

How is the plug-in support for Elements?

Does Elements cover all this in a seamless package?
I am currently on a Picasa+Paint.net workflow which is pretty seamless and does all the above.

I am using PSE 7 which can do 1-6 but not 7 though. I believe the difference between Elements 7 & 8 is very small. In my opinion it is worth learning and it certainly can do more than Picasa. One of the big advantages about PSE is that you can do your processing non-destructively using Layers. I have not used Paint.net so I cannot comment.

As to plug-ins your PSE does support plug-ins such as the Topaz suite of softwares. I have Topaz Adjust and Topaz DeNoise plug-ins.

Photoshop Elements 8 is a strip down version of the original CS 5. The available features by default is good enough for photography editing use. I'm only utilising ACR, layer masking, sharpening and resizing features so far.

Thanks for the info. It is a great help. Think I will look into it further. It does look very promising.

Thanks for the info. It is a great help. Think I will look into it further. It does look very promising.

Well, it's in fact...!!:thumbsup:

That's why and I've been using PSE from 4,6 and 8 currently (changed of versions were mainly due to change of PC-version-OS compatibility issues...:sweat:) and also find it more than enough "Tools" :thumbsup:for my so minor-editing works cos still more about 60-70% of function not utilise or even yet-to-be 'Explore'...:embrass::bsmilie:

Well, it's in fact...!!

That's why and I've been using PSE from 4,6 and 8 currently (changed of versions were mainly due to change of PC-version-OS compatibility issues...:sweat:) and also find it more than enough "Tools" :thumbsup:for my so minor-editing works cos still more about 60-70% of function not utilise or even yet-to-be 'Explore'...:embrass::bsmilie:

After giving it a try, it may finally replace my Paint.net (or at least work to fill the gaps it has).
Initial impressions does seem that it is more than enough to meet the needs for all purposes of my 1min to max 10min editing. :D

Very useful Liquefy tool as well. Man! this will be useful

Last edited:
After giving it a try, it may finally replace my Paint.net (or at least work to fill the gaps it has).
Initial impressions does seem that it is more than enough to meet the needs for all purposes of my 1min to max 10min editing. :D

Very useful Liquefy tool as well. Man! this will be useful

ooh...what's Liquefy tool btw? Tia:)

Well, all this while I've been using only some 'Batch-processing' & at times abit of sharpening & contrast & cropping-tool & shadow & resize+rename( these two...the most used...hahaha:bsmilie:)

the rest either not needed=unknown:embrass: and/or yet to explore:embrass: (hardly use layers...other than input of Copyrights-Texts, only!!)

Thus, based on my usage does shows that I'm not "qualified" to buy CS5 liao...hahaha

Last edited:
ooh...what's Liquefy tool btw? Tia:)

Well, all this while I've been using only some 'Batch-processing' & at times abit of sharpening & contrast & cropping-tool & shadow & resize+rename( these two...the most used...hahaha:bsmilie:)

the rest either not needed=unknown:embrass: and/or yet to explore:embrass: (hardly use layers...other than input of Copyrights-Texts, only!!)

Thus, based on my usage does shows that I'm not "qualified" to buy CS5 liao...hahaha

It has the niffy tools 'bloat' and 'pucker' useful if needed for portraits to slim down (face, arms, waist, etc), increase size (eyes, lips, bust, etc).
The sliming down part will likely come in handy. :)
At least that is something Paint.net does not have a smooth implementation of (its version of the plug-in is very slow)

The more I look at it, other than the more clunky photo manager, Elements might be all I need for a photo editor, working in conjunction with PICASA as the photo browser/manager.

It has the niffy tools 'bloat' and 'pucker' useful if needed for portraits to slim down (face, arms, waist, etc), increase size (eyes, lips, bust, etc).
The sliming down part will likely come in handy.
At least that is something Paint.net does not have a smooth implementation of (its version of the plug-in is very slow)

The more I look at it, other than the more clunky photo manager, Elements might be all I need for a photo editor, working in conjunction with PICASA as the photo browser/manager.

:thumbsup:=>of coz for 'Blue' and :bsmilie:=>refer to above in 'Magenta' and :bigeyes:=>refer to above in 'Red':heart:

[So far so many years of my Biz in Photography(16-years thereabout...), of coz initially was using purely Manual-Cam-FM2 then move-up to abit 'Auto-Cam'-still in 'Film-age' till to date I'm totally using DSLR from FX-D700-(sold to my biz partner my D3...) for my work with biz partner and DX-for my Funtime D90 and recently my D5k for my son..., ok what I'm trying to say is that PSE-versions is so far very much enough for my normal to even work photo-editing purposes...
(I'm not doing Portraiture &/or any so graphical/artistic/ sophisticated-photo-editing work/s that requires me for any CS-versions);)]

Well, PSE-versions do have these feature to let you Upload+Organize+Browser( sort of as 'Management of your Photo-library'...)...suits your requirements well enough, bro...!! Cheers...!!!

Last edited:
:thumbsup:=>of coz for 'Blue' and :bsmilie:=>refer to above in 'Magenta' and :bigeyes:=>refer to above in 'Red':heart:

[So far so many years of my Biz in Photography(16-years thereabout...), of coz initially was using purely Manual-Cam-FM2 then move-up to abit 'Auto-Cam'-still in 'Film-age' till to date I'm totally using DSLR from FX-D700-(sold to my biz partner my D3...) for my work with biz partner and DX-for my Funtime D90 and recently my D5k for my son..., ok what I'm trying to say is that PSE-versions is so far very much enough for my normal to even work photo-editing purposes...
(I'm not doing Portraiture &/or any so graphical/artistic/ sophisticated-photo-editing work/s that requires me for any CS-versions);)]

Well, PSE-versions do have these feature to let you Upload+Organize+Browser( sort of as 'Management of your Photo-library'...)...suits your requirements well enough, bro...!! Cheers...!!!

Don't forget the Panorama merge feature - one of my favourites.

Don't forget the Panorama merge feature - one of my favourites.

Oh yes...no wonder missed it coz I've yet to use it coz using my TX5 to do 'Sweep-Pano' - since it's since forward(real-time achieving a Pano-shot...:thumbsup:):bsmilie:;)

Also, PSE-versions includes 'output'-features eg. slideshow-creations+burn onto Disc+photo collage+numerous layout-styles for printout, etc...:thumbsup::heart: